Black People : Black Endeavors Financially Supported By Blacks

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,946
    Hello Family,

Can you name some Black businesses and organizations that thrive as a direct result of financial support given primarily by Black people?

I think it would serve as an encouragement to all of us, to know who they are.

They can be anywhere in the world.

Thanks in advance.

:heart:

Destee

2. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    I am including a list of HBCUs. The list has been shortened because showing all of it makes the post too long.

http://www.smart.net/~pope/hbcu/hbculist.htm

Alabama A&M University
    Alabama State University
    Albany State University
    Alcorn State University
    Allen University
    Arkansas Baptist College
    Barber-Scotia College
    Benedict College
    Bennett College
    Bethune-Cookman College
    Bishop State Community College
    Bluefield State College
    Bowie State University
    Central State University
    Cheyney University of Pennsylvania
    Claflin College
    Clark Atlanta University
    Clinton Junior College
    Coahoma Community College
    Concordia College
    Coppin State College
    Delaware State University
    Denmark Technical College
    Dillard University
    Edward Waters College
    Elizabeth City State University
    Fayetteville State University
    Fisk University
    Florida A&M University
    Florida Memorial College
    Fort Valley State College
    Fredd State Technical College
    Grambling State University
    Hampton University
    Harris-Stowe State College
    Hinds Community College
    Howard University

3. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Great thread sister Destee!

Sister Karmashines, I'm not sure those schools thrive as a direct result of black contributions. While they do have black alumni who contribute and some students who pay directly w/o government assistance, their primary source of revenue is not black dollars.

Three institutions that come to mind immediately which exist mostly on black financial support, are black churches, black fraternities and sororities, and black masonic orders, all three of which have been pummeled on this site, but thrive nevertheless with dollars contributed by black folks.

Another example is of course the Black Barber and Beauty Shops.

There are many other black businesses which offer tremendous value, are exquisitely managed and operated, provide exemplary service, and receive the bulk of their support from black dollars (restaurants, auto services, telecom, etc.)

One specific example is Hearne Fine Art in my hometown of Little Rock.

The owner has been a family friend since I was a kid and I can safely say her clientele is black folk supporting her from all over the country.

http://www.hearnefineart.com/hfa/index_about.html

Her gallery is breathtakingly beautiful and she does quite a bit of community outreach for young artists.

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    In reality HBCUs are supported by black people, because millions of black students pay money to enroll in these institutions. Although it is true that they also depend heavily on government funding, if black students didn't go there, they wouldn't survive. In addition to what Kemetkind listed I'd have to add restaurants, magazines (Ebony, Jet, Black Enterprise, etc), and Clothing Stores. In my area North New Jersey and New York City, there are a plethora of black businesses, which all depend on black support. I've mentioned several times before that the day care where I take my children are owned and operated by two black men.

5. karmashines

Ratings:
    +19
    Well, I mentioned HBCUs because I was thinking the black student body (many of whom pay tuition) are supporters of the institution, reinterating on what Pan said. I also think the vast number of them reveal acheivement. So that was my angle of perspective when responding; I wasn't thinking about government grants.

6. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Peace Brother Pan and Sister Karmashines.

First let me clarify I'm not knocking HBCU's; I attended one.

But Destee's thread was about institutions and businesses supported primarily
    by black dollars. Many HBCUs may have been conceptualized by black folk, but received significant
    funding in their early years from white donors, and continue to do so today.

The elite black colleges receive MAJOR investment from white philanthropists, the U.S. government and corporate America.

Yes, students pay tuition, but most black students don't pay their full tuition out of pocket (or their parents pockets), whether we're attending black schools or not.

We get grants, scholarships, subsidized and special term loans, etc. etc.

Some of those sources are black; most (in terms of total dollars) are not.

An HBCU is defined as such by Section 322 of Title III of the Black College and University Act.

If all white money provided to black students or directly to HBCUs dried up tomorrow, we'd have to step up our game to replace that revenue, or the vast majority would struggle to survive.

7. karmashines

Ratings:
    +19
    Good point.

8. uplift19

uplift19 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +12
    As a former student of HU, I can attest that Howard University is actually heavily supported by the federal government, as that is the main source of its revenue (next to money brought in by HU Hospital). Tuition is less than 1/2 of the amount received from the US, and you also have to consider many students who take out loans to finance their educations.

Page 169: http://www.howard.edu/facts/facts2005.pdf

Not to mention it was created by the gov't, its first graduating class what 4 was women, and it's named after a white man. I'm not sure how we qualify Black institutions anyway.

I would have to say religious institutions represent the majority of Black supported Black institutions. There are some mega churches that receive money from other interests, but many Black churches, mosques, and other spiritual communities are generally supported by their members. Other than that, no other prominent examples come to mind.

9. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    black businesses...

liquor stores,the nation of islam.

10. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    I was going to also name the NOI, but it's important to name the NOI in all it's facets and incarnations.

HEBREW ISRAELITES

AUSAR AUSET SOCIETY

SEMA INSTITUTE

BANDELE CORPORATION

and, believe it or not, BLACK CHURCHES.

I would also like to remind us all of the fact, that not all support is in the form of financial or economic.

And just because the support given is not monetary, does not mean that it is any less significant.

That goes for any/all the orgs listed thus far, as well as this one.

PEACE