Black People Politics : Black Consciousness vs Christianity – Part 1.

Liberty

BANNED
Aug 28, 2015
(ThyBlackMan.com) Is it possible to have a Black consciousness and be a Christian? Are the terms contradictory? Is “Conscious Christian” an oxymoron? I can hear some of you now, saying, “Uh oh, Jim, you are in deep water with this topic.” That’s fine; this column has not survived for nearly twenty-three years without some controversy or my being afraid to walk on thin ice every now and then. Don’t worry; I can swim.

After hearing an interesting conversation on the Carl Nelson radio show (1450 AM in the DC area or woldcnews.com) regarding the question of “Conscious Christianity,” and after giving it a lot of thought, I decided to dive into the deep end of the pool. A very touchy topic for sure, but no matter which side you may support, it is an important subject and just might clear up a few issues in our minds. Additionally, as our knowledge increases, I trust it will bring us closer together and cause us to organize around practical economic principles. The fewer schisms that exist among Black folks, the better things will be.

This missive is couched in 20th century parlance and the actions of folks most of us can relate to or have read about, some of who are still alive today. It is also based on the contention by some in the conscious community that many Black Christians worship a “White Jesus;” therefore, they cannot really have a “Black consciousness.” Hmmm.

2015-steve-biko-225x300.jpg

A working definition of “consciousness” is appropriate here. There are several from which we could choose, but let’s use Stephen Biko’s definition, which emanated from W.E.B. DuBois’ “Double Consciousness” treatise. Biko was the founder of the Black Consciousness Movement in South Africa and was brutally tortured and killed by White police officers for advocating Black consciousness. Biko didn’t just “rap” about Black consciousness; he lived and died for it.

Read more

http://thyblackman.com/2016/01/02/black-consciousness-vs-christianity-part-1/

Black Consciousness vs Christianity – Part 2.

(ThyBlackMan.com) Again, this is not an attempt to proselytize or to shape your thinking regarding religion or spirituality. Rather, this is an attempt to delve into a subject that is often brought up among Black folks and used to separate us instead of bring us together around practical economic/public policy solutions.

By example, in 1843, Christian minister and abolitionist, Henry Highland Garnet, gave an inspirational speech that shocked the delegates of the National Negro Convention. Known as the “Call to Rebellion” speech, in which Garnet encouraged slaves to turn against their masters. “Neither god, nor angels, or just men, command you to suffer for a single moment. Therefore it is your solemn and imperative duty to use every means, both moral, intellectual, and physical that promises success.”

In response, Frederick Douglass spoke out against the speech to the convention. Garnet responded to Douglass’ rejoinder but the convention did not sanction Garnet’s approach to abolition. To misunderstand the message here is to fall into that same trap of divisiveness; this is an attempt to build a bridge between “conscious” Blacks and Black Christians.

Can one be a Christian and also have a Black consciousness? This does not simply mean giving fiery sermons on Black consciousness but having no track record of doing anything to back up the rhetoric. It means doing the work that comes with being conscious. Last week’s column cited Garvey’s and MLK’s words to illustrate their
2016-Henry-Highland-Garnet.jpg
Black/Christian consciousness rhetoric, but they also have a voluminous record of working according to their beliefs in both areas.

Read more
http://thyblackman.com/2016/01/02/black-consciousness-vs-christianity-part-2/

My opinion, there is no oxymoronic thing about being a conscious Christian. Most of my people of other paradigms disagree, of course, but I tend to believe that such is purely a social/group mindset. If you're not meeting the requirements of the clique, then you're just not conscious, and all without bothering to really make a true investigation of that person's character, reasoning, etc. Another reason for this nearly automatic judgement is because of what white people have done to the image of Christianity and Judaism. The bible's contents do not suggest that God was dealing with a white people exclusively, whether in the system of laws or the system of grace. But they tend to blindly link certain verses to white people without examination, and link events of slavery with Christianity, which in truth only show the sadistic and savage nature of white bigotry, not Christianity itself. Slavery, for instance, was ONLY allowed as a punishment for thievery or as a means to pay debts when you did not have money. Also, oppression as a way to treat others is forbidden by God. We were oppressed by white slavemasters; devils claiming to be Christians. And while Christians like me, who look at the whole matter, can divide the illusion of white authorship from the actual biblical contents, others who cannot tend to project hatred towards me because of my spiritual choice, not even realizing that they are causing division over another black-born paradigm called Christianity. But like others as conscious as me, we move forward, each trying to do our part to advance us all the same way Abraham handled things with those that were with him, attacking problems and finding solutions, while hoping to not be hated on by those outside of our paradigm that by global right we still call brothers and sisters.

Osaphe breaks things down King James has been plagiarized by Edomites since the 1400s the book Genesis was a fallen angel named
Luamone/Enlil who told esau (who Enlil created with his sister who looks very similar to Semiramis & Ashtoreth aka Amimal-Adamu mockery of our forefathers and foremothers) to use his Angel brethren Enki to use their epic of Gilgamesh as inspiration for Genesis, he also goes by Satan or Enlil who's father/mother was Anu/Lucifer...

The most high isn't murderous, vindictive, or hateful ...the most high designed MANY worlds, galaxies, solar systems, and peoples .he loves and teaches never hates or demands slalom my brethren and sisters...I hold y'all enjoyed this post :)

Liberty ... great topic ... though i'd rather read your opinion on this ... :wink:

I think if one is consciousness, they can see, hear, feel, etc. - more like a medical term

adjective: knowing and perceiving; having awareness of surroundings and sensations and thoughts
Example: "Remained conscious during the operation"

So yes, folk can be conscious and Christian, Muslim, Black, White, Male, Female, etc.

What say you Sister? :)

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back