Black People Politics : Black Consciousness vs Christianity – Part 1.

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Liberty, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +3,224
    (ThyBlackMan.com) Is it possible to have a Black consciousness and be a Christian? Are the terms contradictory? Is “Conscious Christian” an oxymoron? I can hear some of you now, saying, “Uh oh, Jim, you are in deep water with this topic.” That’s fine; this column has not survived for nearly twenty-three years without some controversy or my being afraid to walk on thin ice every now and then. Don’t worry; I can swim.

After hearing an interesting conversation on the Carl Nelson radio show (1450 AM in the DC area or woldcnews.com) regarding the question of “Conscious Christianity,” and after giving it a lot of thought, I decided to dive into the deep end of the pool. A very touchy topic for sure, but no matter which side you may support, it is an important subject and just might clear up a few issues in our minds. Additionally, as our knowledge increases, I trust it will bring us closer together and cause us to organize around practical economic principles. The fewer schisms that exist among Black folks, the better things will be.

This missive is couched in 20th century parlance and the actions of folks most of us can relate to or have read about, some of who are still alive today. It is also based on the contention by some in the conscious community that many Black Christians worship a “White Jesus;” therefore, they cannot really have a “Black consciousness.” Hmmm.

[​IMG]
    A working definition of “consciousness” is appropriate here. There are several from which we could choose, but let’s use Stephen Biko’s definition, which emanated from W.E.B. DuBois’ “Double Consciousness” treatise. Biko was the founder of the Black Consciousness Movement in South Africa and was brutally tortured and killed by White police officers for advocating Black consciousness. Biko didn’t just “rap” about Black consciousness; he lived and died for it.

Read more

http://thyblackman.com/2016/01/02/black-consciousness-vs-christianity-part-1/

• Like Like x 2
    • Love It Love It x 1
    • List
  2. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +3,224
    Black Consciousness vs Christianity – Part 2.

(ThyBlackMan.com) Again, this is not an attempt to proselytize or to shape your thinking regarding religion or spirituality. Rather, this is an attempt to delve into a subject that is often brought up among Black folks and used to separate us instead of bring us together around practical economic/public policy solutions.

By example, in 1843, Christian minister and abolitionist, Henry Highland Garnet, gave an inspirational speech that shocked the delegates of the National Negro Convention. Known as the “Call to Rebellion” speech, in which Garnet encouraged slaves to turn against their masters. “Neither god, nor angels, or just men, command you to suffer for a single moment. Therefore it is your solemn and imperative duty to use every means, both moral, intellectual, and physical that promises success.”

In response, Frederick Douglass spoke out against the speech to the convention. Garnet responded to Douglass’ rejoinder but the convention did not sanction Garnet’s approach to abolition. To misunderstand the message here is to fall into that same trap of divisiveness; this is an attempt to build a bridge between “conscious” Blacks and Black Christians.

Can one be a Christian and also have a Black consciousness? This does not simply mean giving fiery sermons on Black consciousness but having no track record of doing anything to back up the rhetoric. It means doing the work that comes with being conscious. Last week’s column cited Garvey’s and MLK’s words to illustrate their [​IMG]Black/Christian consciousness rhetoric, but they also have a voluminous record of working according to their beliefs in both areas.

Read more
    http://thyblackman.com/2016/01/02/black-consciousness-vs-christianity-part-2/

• Like Like x 2
    • Love It Love It x 1
    • List
  3. NyneElementz

NyneElementz Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +356
    My opinion, there is no oxymoronic thing about being a conscious Christian. Most of my people of other paradigms disagree, of course, but I tend to believe that such is purely a social/group mindset. If you're not meeting the requirements of the clique, then you're just not conscious, and all without bothering to really make a true investigation of that person's character, reasoning, etc. Another reason for this nearly automatic judgement is because of what white people have done to the image of Christianity and Judaism. The bible's contents do not suggest that God was dealing with a white people exclusively, whether in the system of laws or the system of grace. But they tend to blindly link certain verses to white people without examination, and link events of slavery with Christianity, which in truth only show the sadistic and savage nature of white bigotry, not Christianity itself. Slavery, for instance, was ONLY allowed as a punishment for thievery or as a means to pay debts when you did not have money. Also, oppression as a way to treat others is forbidden by God. We were oppressed by white slavemasters; devils claiming to be Christians. And while Christians like me, who look at the whole matter, can divide the illusion of white authorship from the actual biblical contents, others who cannot tend to project hatred towards me because of my spiritual choice, not even realizing that they are causing division over another black-born paradigm called Christianity. But like others as conscious as me, we move forward, each trying to do our part to advance us all the same way Abraham handled things with those that were with him, attacking problems and finding solutions, while hoping to not be hated on by those outside of our paradigm that by global right we still call brothers and sisters.

4. Chaya Chaim

Chaya Chaim Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +269
    Osaphe breaks things down King James has been plagiarized by Edomites since the 1400s the book Genesis was a fallen angel named
    Luamone/Enlil who told esau (who Enlil created with his sister who looks very similar to Semiramis & Ashtoreth aka Amimal-Adamu mockery of our forefathers and foremothers) to use his Angel brethren Enki to use their epic of Gilgamesh as inspiration for Genesis, he also goes by Satan or Enlil who's father/mother was Anu/Lucifer...

The most high isn't murderous, vindictive, or hateful ...the most high designed MANY worlds, galaxies, solar systems, and peoples .he loves and teaches never hates or demands slalom my brethren and sisters...I hold y'all enjoyed this post :)

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Liberty ... great topic ... though i'd rather read your opinion on this ... :wink:

I think if one is consciousness, they can see, hear, feel, etc. - more like a medical term

adjective: knowing and perceiving; having awareness of surroundings and sensations and thoughts
    Example: "Remained conscious during the operation"

So yes, folk can be conscious and Christian, Muslim, Black, White, Male, Female, etc.

What say you Sister? :)

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

6. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Conscious and "Christian" are essentially similar in meaning, but distorted by accepted mass interpretation.
    When someone claims to be a "Christian", they are claiming to have the "anointing of Spirit"

The loose way it (Christian) is used today creates the perceived dichotomy.
    Many so called "Christians" understand one should not succumb to idol worship, but have effigies and images of a man on their walls when it comes to their understanding.

A "conscious" person would reason this to be contrary, while the term "christian" implies "anointed messenger" or what the texts would refer to as "prophets".

This is a lofty term that is akin to "Saint".

But for practical examples, compare Buddhism and Judaism.

Buddha/Siddhartha - Enlightened
    Yehoshua/Immanuel - Anointed (Christ/Messiah)

Once in awhile conversations between Hebrew Israelites can have conscious elements, and then at times one can observe the typical regurgitation without apparent understanding.

In growing towards understanding, it is wise to accept that which has more substance over that which one likes or is familiar with. In this regards, some within "Christian groupings" tend to "hold strong" (become stubborn) to growth and the renewing of the mind, where as the "conscious" process is just that.

And since "renewing of the mind" was mentioned...

Eph 4:23
    And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;

Eph 4:24
    And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

qadash is the translation in Hebrew, which is to be separate ...
    unique, or untainted by other thoughts.

7. frankster

frankster Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +133
    Conscious Christianity is often called 'The Black Prophetic Tradition' of which its two most prominent proponents today are Cornel West and Micheal Eric Dyson*

Martin Luther King, Rev Herbert DAUGHTRY, Rev Johnny YoungBlood and the one most in the news recently Rev Jeremiah Wright to name a few are all conscious Christians in my mind of the "Black prophetic Tradition"

So yes you can be Christian and conscious, the father of Black Liberation Theology Hal Cone's book "Black Theology and Black power is a good book to read which deals with this topic.

“Without concrete signs of divine presence in the lives of the poor, the gospel becomes simply an opiate; rather than liberating the powerless from humiliation and suffering, the gospel becomes a drug that helps them adjust to this world by looking for “pie in the sky

“And yet the Christian gospel is more than a transcendent reality, more than going to heaven when I die, to shout salvation as I fly.” It is also an immanent reality—a powerful liberating presence among the poor right now in their midst, “building them up where they are torn down and propping them up on every leaning side.” The gospel is found wherever poor people struggle for justice, fighting for their right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”

“In the “lynching era,” between 1880 to 1940, white Christians lynched nearly five thousand black men and women in a manner with obvious echoes of the Roman crucifixion of Jesus. Yet these “Christians” did not see the irony or contradiction in their actions.”

“The Gospel of liberation is bad news to all oppressors because they have defined their "freedom" in terms of slavery of others.
    James H. Cone
    https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/17438.James_H_Cone

Cone explains that at the core of black liberation theology is an effort — in a white-dominated society, in which black has been defined as evil — to make the gospel relevant to the life and struggles of American blacks, and to help black people learn to love themselves. It's an attempt, he says "to teach people how to be both unapologetically black and Christian at the same time."
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89236116

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077

Users found this page by searching for:

1. consciousness vs christianity