Black People : Black Communities

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Smurfette, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Smurfette

Smurfette Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Is rap music responsible for the crime, violence and drugs in the black communities?

2. Chucky

Chucky Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I am not sure if you are serious or are being sarcastic. Assuming your serious, the answer is "NO".

3. Smurfette

Smurfette Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Chucky

why wouldnt you take it serious? We see time after time that things that rappers do are often repeated in our community right? We have bone thugs and harmony protesting that smoking weed is alright and fine, we have all these rappers letting it be known that they smoke weed all day right, I cant say it is responsible, but I can say that it has a lot to do with the crime, violence and drugs. Why is it that children at the age of 12 are smoking weed, taking pills? Parents think that sitting kids in front of the t.v is a way of distraction right? But instead it is a killer. Rap media plays a big role in the lives of te black communities. How can you explain why every girl in America knows how to do the chickenhead dance? They see on t.v. what others are doing and they tend to repeat what they see. So Chucky do you think that the Black community is influenced by the rap video than?

4. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I won't say that it is responsible for any of it, but it contributes heavily to it. Just like video games, movies, television shows and media. Rap music directly tells children and anyone listening that drinking, smoking, having sex, cursing, stealing, killing, lying, disrespecting and being ignorant is cool. It's the way to be if you want to "keep it real", "be down", "be gangsta"....etc. No one in their right mind can say that music (good or bad) doesn't influence our youth.

5. Chucky

Chucky Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Smurfette, it goes back to the chicken and the egg theory. You know, which came first. Why aren't you entertaining the idea that rap music(some) is a reflection of the negatives in society as opposed to the cause? Crime, drugs, violence were prevalent before rap music was even created. It's convenient for white america to place the blames of society on the doorstep of hip-hop instead of at the white people and this country's government(yes, i realize that is redundant).

6. MzBlkAngel

MzBlkAngel Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +219
    I agree with you....but
    drinking, smoking, having sex, cursing, stealing, killing, lying, disrespecting and being ignorant
    it was way here before rap music,and it do have a influence, but we all know right from wrong as well....

7. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    I agree that rap is a reflection of our communities definately. At the same time....rap artist don't just reflect the reality. They promote it and glorify it. Sure, when they give interviews they will say..."I don't promote drugs or violence" but in their music the speak on how "real" they keep it. While bragging on how many blunts they smoke, girls they have sex with and people they've killed. It's double talk for the sake of making money. We should know better but youth are impressionable. Which artist are they going to hear more? The one in an interview say "no to drugs" or the one promoting drugs over a dope beat on a cd?

8. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    say, what?

9. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    tha answer is NO NO NO !!!!
    it's within the families and how we raise our children
    crime and all the rest of the bad crap we see has nothing to
    do with rap music it was going on before rap hit or was ever spoken
    word up !

10. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    I see what you're saying $$RICH$$. But would you agree that rap music makes it easier for kids to get the wrong impression about certain lifestyles? Parents do ultimately have the resposibility of rasing their own children, but some parents are not at home like they should be due to work issues. Some have to work long hours or overtime to provide. There are kids walking around carrying guns who don't even live that "gangsta life". They don't even have anyone after them or enemies. They just want to do it because they think it's cool. Wouldn't you say rap (and movies, media and video games) has to take a little bit of the resposibilty for that.