Black Spirituality Religion : Black Christian People

Can we just acknowledge that religion and it's teachings of a so-called god to be nothing but superstition and the handiwork of power hungry men? (THE BIG LIE)

Well, Thank God the amazing leaders in Africa hold onto their religion!!! For them Religion is no lie! They live by it, they still live in that continent! I would feel lost if not for the good news I read about in Africa, such as the African Union. The brother over their rock!!!

Yes, there are some bad news in that continent just line in all the world, but I just love the good news! It gives me hope.

That Idolatry. That is not in agreement with the scriptures.
It is what they are teaching in the Christian religion, is it not? They also teach folks to worship and pray to a god that they have created. Jehova, Yahweh or what other name they use for identification as well as gender.

Well, Thank God the amazing leaders in Africa hold onto their religion!!! For them Religion is no lie! They live by it, they still live in that continent! I would feel lost if not for the good news I read about in Africa, such as the African Union. The brother over their rock!!!

Yes, there are some bad news in that continent just line in all the world, but I just love the good news! It gives me hope.
The post does not reference to indigenous religions of any peoples. It's speaking directly to the so-called Christian religion and namely Black christians. If you are a Black christian then it is speaking to you.
Knowing the history relating to the volume of unspeakable acts of torture, murder, coercion as well as wholesale massacres of indigenous peoples and the enslavement of an African people how could any person esp. a black person embrace this fallacy of a religion?

Since you mention Africa and it's religious beliefs. Here are a few excerpts taken from The Spirituality of Africa

GAZETTE:
How would you define indigenous African religions?

OLUPONA: Indigenous African religions refer to the indigenous or native religious beliefs of the African people before the Christian and Islamic colonization of Africa. Indigenous African religions are by nature plural, varied, and usually informed by one’s ethnic identity, where one’s family came from in Africa. For instance, the Yoruba religion has historically been centered in southwestern Nigeria, the Zulu religion in southern Africa, and the Igbo religion in southeastern Nigeria.

“African spirituality simply acknowledges that beliefs and practices touch on and inform every facet of human life, and therefore African religion cannot be separated from the everyday or mundane.”
For starters, the word “religion” is problematic for many Africans, because it suggests that religion is separate from the other aspects of one’s culture, society, or environment. But for many Africans, religion can never be separated from all these. It is a way of life, and it can never be separated from the public sphere. Religion informs everything in traditional African society, including political art, marriage, health, diet, dress, economics, and death.

This is not to say that indigenous African spirituality represents a form of theocracy or religious totalitarianism — not at all. African spirituality simply acknowledges that beliefs and practices touch on and inform every facet of human life, and therefore African religion cannot be separated from the everyday or mundane. African spirituality is truly holistic. For example, sickness in the indigenous African worldview is not only an imbalance of the body, but also an imbalance in one’s social life, which can be linked to a breakdown in one’s kinship and family relations or even to one’s relationship with one’s ancestors.

GAZETTE:
How have ancestors played a role in traditional societies?

OLUPONA: The role of ancestors in the African cosmology has always been significant. Ancestors can offer advice and bestow good fortune and honor to their living dependents, but they can also make demands, such as insisting that their shrines be properly maintained and propitiated. And if these shrines are not properly cared for by the designated descendant, then misfortune in the form of illness might befall the caretaker. A belief in ancestors also testifies to the inclusive nature of traditional African spirituality by positing that deceased progenitors still play a role in the lives of their living descendants.

GAZETTE: Are ancestors considered deities in the traditional African cosmology?

OLUPONA: Your question underscores an important facet about African spirituality: It is not a closed theological system. It doesn’t have a fixed creed, like in some forms of Christianity or Islam. Consequently, traditional Africans have different ideas on what role the ancestors play in the lives of living descendants. Some Africans believe that the ancestors are equal in power to deities, while others believe they are not. The defining line between deities and ancestors is often contested, but overall, ancestors are believed to occupy a higher level of existence than living human beings and are believed to be able to bestow either blessings or illness upon their living descendants.

Here is the link in case you would like to read the full interview of Jacob Olupona, professor of indigenous African religions at Harvard Divinity School and professor of African and African-American studies in Harvard’s Faculty of Arts and Sciences, recently sat down for an interview about his lifelong research on indigenous African religions. "The success of Christianity and Islam on the African continent in the last 100 years has been extraordinary, but it has been, unfortunately, at the expense of African indigenous religions," said Olupona.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back