Black Spirituality Religion : Black Christian People

The Western World has been very influential in positive ways too and we have little reason to assume that non-Western influences would have been much more positive.

So on point!

I just don't believe Africa would have been a continent of peace, love and happiness if only the Western-Europeans had stayed out of it.

This is a bitter-sweet statement for me, but I absolutely agree. I did address this in this very thread and my comment about 'being NAIVE' about how wonderful AFrica was before slavery and how 'our ancestors' were sharing dancing and drums and such was interupted and we were robbed... I did make a statement along these very lines! LOL!

I just believe that people who are searching for god themselves have a better chance of becoming a good person than people who are just beeing part of the christian institutions and repeating and obeying their rules.

I agree.

a denomination is mostly an instution and just like or even more than other institutions they grow morally corrupt, become instruments of power and oppression and channels for hypocrisy, not just Western white christian denominations.

So true!

But not all sense of right and wrong from the New Testament has been successfully surpressed all the time and I just wanted to point out that for example the resistance against slavery in Europe was motivated by strong christian beliefs while the supporters of slavery usually had more 'practical' and earthly views and motivations.

I think it's only fair to look at christianity's inner values too,

Absolutely!

and not just at it's institutions in times and/or places when and where they were most morally corrupted. Also the white Western European christian institutions have shown a much nicer face the last century, unlike a large part of white American christianity.

Your words are so amazing.

Yes, about the gradual corruption of governments and 'religions' and such, coming from what I see in the Bible, around the AD 90s at the time of the Book of Revelations, it was brought even at this time at the set up of Christianity in the form of its' 7 Churches, that all was not perfect, even at that time with its Church followers. It was like, 6 out of the 7 Churches that were marked to have certain negative issues and so the Bible goes on to say, pretty much that after a certaint time, there would be a GREAT FALLING AWAY and soon the Church system will be removed from the earth anyway [ie. the voice of the Bridegroom & Bride] will be heard no more... So the issue of corruptions was already addressed in so many ways, but some people based their 'interpretation' on themselves, and may not realize they just are not well informed on script, as a whole. The Church was set up on a standard and was suppose to be 'A CONTINUAL WORK IN PROGRESS' but after the 3rd and 4th generations, due to a common human condition of how corruption seems to always overtake the beginning goodwill intentions, governments go through some type of historical overhaul.

Regarding 'Interpretation', I briefly addressed this issue by bringing up the term 'SCHISMS' and hope to share more of what I have researched on this term, because this term is a 'distinct form of interpretation' as well, but just like any well established government, past and present, such our American Constitution, all systems have a script of which becomes THE STANDARD, and therefore, it is really not left up to the subjects, or citizens, to INTERPRET, but there will always be a higher level of authority that standardizes its script based system; therefore, the Bible is no different. That is why I mentioned the term BIBLE CANONS.
For me interpretation is interpretation regardless of whatever heading they may assign to it.
Schisms (a split or division between strongly opposed sections or parties, caused by differences in opinion or belief). The term itself suggests division and a separation caused by differences in belief.
In addition, because a certain standard is set by so-called authoritative figures does not mean that it is correct and can not be challenged. That concept in itself lends to control and exploitation and yields servitude. If everyone conceded to that mode of thinking and capitulation we'd all be at the mercy of those setting the so-called standard.

Again, I really don't understand the 'religion aspect' myself. Just being honest. But I try. As far as the Christian REligion, well, it's a confusion to me, but as a Christian, I base my beliefs on script and so, I don't see any other form of religion that is better than is worthy either. I don't even know if I would be considered a religious person. I'm thinking perhaps, religion may be like, having to go to Sunday Church services every sunday, and I don't believe in this 'completely'!
I can understand how it can be confusing
As a Christian you base your beliefs on script. This is exactly my point sister Chevron, you have been indoctrinated so it has become so much a part of you and who you are. You embrace this because it is what you were taught. If you were Chinese it would possibly be either Taoism or Buddism. If you were Arab it would be Islam. If you were Jewish it would be Judaism. If you were Indian it could be a number of religions Jainism, Zoroastrianism, Hinduism, Buddism, Chistianity etc. and you would follow the texts or scriptures of that faith or religion. So therefore you are not able to exercise free thought or free will.

I'm thinking 'religion' may be like every person of a certain religion must do something or else, they are deemed not of that religion? I don't know.

You asked "What are folks exactly placing their faith in and for what purpose?"

Good question of which my answer would be that we do need to place our faith in something or else, we will be forced UNDER a higher governments' form of religion and used for their purpose and it will be soul killing to just exist in limbo, so-to-speak.
My contention is that folks can place their faith in themselves and in their own unique abilities. The problem that I see is that people aren't in tune with their inner selves and therefore are always gravitating to something or someone outside of themselves for for relevance. We can build up peoples belief in themselves and their capabilities if they were taught how to focus on that. This is what the church as an institution of faith and other systems of learning could be doing instead of robbing the folks of their identity and money. We can still instill in them good core values and also teach them how to be strong and independent thinkers as well as human beings.. But like the man said; They want a nation of workers and not thinkers....

Last edited:
This should stir up some interesting conversation.

Why do black people of all people on this planet hold onto the so-called Christian faith? It is a well established fact that the early white settlers here used Christianity and some of the scriptures in the bible to justify the enslavement and atrocious treatment of our ancestors. They relegated our people to the status of chattel so that they wouldn’t have to consider them as humans and therefore could be bought and sold just like live stock. Under the classification of chattel they could not be baptized nor could they be Christians which eased their guilt and conscious. Our ancestors weren’t allowed to be a so-called Christian but their descendants willingly embrace this pseudo and con job of a religion.

The so-called religion has risen to prominence by way of wars and destruction of entire civilizations. The early crusades were massive campaigns of murder and massacres of men, women and children who embraced other religions or no faith at all.

They were labeled heretics, pagans and non believers and sentenced to death by burning at the stake. Many hundreds of thousands were tortured if they did not renounce their beliefs and convert to this so-called Christian religion during The Spanish Inquisition. Why even their beloved and venerated so-called God Jehovah brought about The Great Deluge that supposedly killed off all of humanity (with the exception of a few so-called chosen people) and ordered the destruction of cities and the mass killings of its inhabitants.. (Slaughtered men, women and children to be taken as slaves and plunder) in Deuteronomy 20: 10-17. Now I can go on and on about how this religion has been promulgated to mislead folks, exploit and con them out of their money to fill church and pastors coffers, fill their heads with superstitions and their hearts with fear, guilt and shame and got them worshiping a so-called God created by white folks who don’t even consider them equal, but I won’t do that. Oh, I just did, oh well.

So I ask again, why do Black folks in today’s modern world with access to an infinite amount of information, continue to be a slave to a so-called religion used in the past to justify the enslavement of our ancestors?

Below are a few pieces of scriptures provided for your perusal;

The Flood (Genesis 6-8)
The cities of the plain, including Sodom and Gomorrah (Genesis 18-19)
The Egyptian firstborn sons during the Passover (Exodus 11-12)
The Canaanites under Moses and Joshua; Numbers 21:2-3 Deuteronomy 7:1-7; Joshua 6:17, 21)
The Amalekites annihilated by Saul (1 Samuel 15)
I do agree with alot of what you say, but there are still truths and many undecoded secrets in the bible. Back then it was used to make people(especially blacks)docile to accept slavery..verses like "slaves obey your masters"- "if someone slaps you, turn the other cheek." The main way the christian religion is used today is to make people accept capitalism/economic inequality. Quote from Napoleon Bonaparte: "it is religion that prevents poor people from killing rich people". By that statement its obvious religion is a big weapon and a tool to make people accept economic inequality..by always preaching to the poor that their riches are in heaven so dont worry about your condition now. Its no wonder why churches are everywhere in poor neighborhoods of every country.

I do agree with alot of what you say, but there are still truths and many undecoded secrets in the bible. Back then it was used to make people(especially blacks)docile to accept slavery..verses like "slaves obey your masters"- "if someone slaps you, turn the other cheek." The main way the christian religion is used today is to make people accept capitalism/economic inequality. Quote from Napoleon Bonaparte: "it is religion that prevents poor people from killing rich people". By that statement its obvious religion is a big weapon and a tool to make people accept economic inequality..by always preaching to the poor that their riches are in heaven so dont worry about your condition now. Its no wonder why churches are everywhere in poor neighborhoods of every country.
Man I never have come across that quote from Napoleon Bonaparte but it is the truth.. Appreciate the comments man.

So on point!

This is a bitter-sweet statement for me, but I absolutely agree. I did address this in this very thread and my comment about 'being NAIVE' about how wonderful AFrica was before slavery and how 'our ancestors' were sharing dancing and drums and such was interupted and we were robbed... I did make a statement along these very lines! LOL!
Africa before slavery? Was that before or after Europe got inhabited at all?

There something that bothers me about the narrative of all the blacks innocent victims of the evil white man where every black outside Africa was a slave and every white white was getting rich sitting on his ***, other than it's false and simplistic. There's also some humility about this idea of pure victimhood. It suggests a weakness that wasn't there. Africans colonized Spain, African pirates were the fear of the Mediterranean and it's Northern shores, Africans kicked British *** in Kwazulu Natal, Africans made Europeans trade on equal terms in many places, Africans took Haiti. In the end they lost out to the superior European technology but it wasn't a continent of push-overs.

The particular immorality of the Transatlantic slavetrade didn't make all Africans into defenseless innocents. Only in America it came to be such a black and white thing, in both Africa and Europe there was a lot of grey in between. There were white slaves in Africa, there were black sailors on European ships, there were blacks living nextdoor to Rembrandt, there were African elites living together and hooking up with Europeans in Africa, there were rich Africans sending their children to European universities, and even a case of a black becoming a minister and theologian in Europe defending slavery and arguing slaves could be baptized without in his dessertation.

Yes, about the gradual corruption of governments and 'religions' and such, coming from what I see in the Bible, around the AD 90s at the time of the Book of Revelations, it was brought even at this time at the set up of Christianity in the form of its' 7 Churches, that all was not perfect, even at that time with its Church followers. It was like, 6 out of the 7 Churches that were marked to have certain negative issues and so the Bible goes on to say, pretty much that after a certaint time, there would be a GREAT FALLING AWAY and soon the Church system will be removed from the earth anyway [ie. the voice of the Bridegroom & Bride] will be heard no more... So the issue of corruptions was already addressed in so many ways, but some people based their 'interpretation' on themselves, and may not realize they just are not well informed on script, as a whole. The Church was set up on a standard and was suppose to be 'A CONTINUAL WORK IN PROGRESS' but after the 3rd and 4th generations, due to a common human condition of how corruption seems to always overtake the beginning goodwill intentions, governments go through some type of historical overhaul.
Don't forget that the scripture to some degree is the product of the institutions too.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back