Black Spirituality Religion : Black Christian People

I have two questions for you Lynott;
What is your ethnicity?
What does your comment have to do with the subject matter!
It sounds to me as though your are trying to defend the Europeans role in slavery and minimize the impact of their role!!! But like I stated , that is not what this post is about..

I have two questions for you Lynott;
What is your ethnicity?
Dutch I guess. I don't identify as a christian at all.
What does your comment have to do with the subject matter!
You started like this:
Why do black people of all people on this planet hold onto the so-called Christian faith? ... why do Black folks in today’s modern world....
So I answered your question about the planet and the world, and there's quite a bit of planet outside America. Traditionally there's christianity in Egypt, Syria and Ethiopia and probably more in that region and they didn't get it from the Europeans. So those people will have a very different perspective.

It sounds to me as though your are trying to defend the Europeans role in slavery and minimize the impact of their role!!! But like I stated , that is not what this post is about..
No I don't. But if you look at the world it's a different story than just America's history. I believe the Europeans are specifically to be blamed because they knew it was wrong, they were relatively advanced at that point in time, also in philosophy and ethics and for them it wasn't just the way things were. The catholics held the Valladolid debate for example, the protestant Dutch refused to enter the slave trade for more than 50 years because they considered themselves good christians, but still did later on and fabricated a biblical justification. The Europeans also came up with racist theories for justification which lasted even longer than their slavery.

But I believe that was despite christianity and christian values had a lot to do with abolition. I'm an atheist but rom that perspective christianity doesn't look that bad, that might be an explanation. Christians have also got quite good at spreading the gospel without force. Don't forget that for many people the world changed a lot, especially in the 2nd half of the 20th century, white christian Americans are a particularly backward brand of christians.

Why do black people of all people on this planet hold onto the so-called Christian faith?
Peace,

In a word........ FEAR!

People are afraid that all that they have in this life is all that there is. That's a disturbing realization for those who have little, with not much hope of getting more. Who has less than the black man and black woman of America? The promises that Christianity offers are comforting to those who BELIEVE this life has little to offer.

Peace

Peace,

In a word........ FEAR!

People are afraid that all that they have in this life is all that there is. That's a disturbing realization for those who have little, with not much hope of getting more. Who has less than the black man and black woman of America? The promises that Christianity offers are comforting to those who BELIEVE this life has little to offer.

Peace to you as well Brother Precise

Precisely my brother, you have hit it in on the head. (FEAR) What are a vast majority of black folks so afraid of and why? Is it the fear of being demonized, fear of alienation, fear of being ostracized, fear of going to hell, fear of damnation etc?

You say that; People are afraid that all that they have in this life is all that there is. That's a disturbing realization for those who have little, with not much hope of getting more.
I say that it is a self defeatist mentality. You see, I feel that when people start telling themselves something like that and others cosign it, then it becomes a belief and that they have already set themselves up for non achievement and failure. Feasting on a steady diet of negativity and hopelessness.

You ask; Who has less than the black man and black woman of America?
I say that a lot of the indigenous nations of America do as well as most immigrants who come here. I think your just talking about America, right? Because there are millions of folks around the globe who have much less. (Whoa Is Me)

You say; The promises that Christianity offers are comforting to those who BELIEVE this life has little to offer.
I say what Christianity offers is not comfort and hope as much as it is a crutch and an excuse. Folks talking about ( I'm waiting on the lord or I'm gonna put it in Gods hands or if I don't have it then God doesn't want me to have it), Folks up in church every Sunday and sometimes on weekdays paying their tithes, jumping up and down, some speaking in tongues( yeah right) passing out and all other types of nonsense and still in the same predicament that they were in from day one. But it's not them, it'a the lord or better yet, (THE DEVIL). (Faith Without Works Yields Nothing)

As long as folks continue to not take responsibility for their lives and hold themselves and others accountable they will never free themselves from a psychological bondage and fear (self deprivation,
low self esteem, lack of self confidence, no coping skills, no self awareness etc). Folks have really got to perform an honest self evaluation of themselves and the situation that they're in. Why am I still spinning my wheels and in the same situation this year as I was last year. What has helped me to move forward and what has caused me to move backwards and why?
Freedom.jpg

Dutch I guess. I don't identify as a christian at all.

You started like this:

So I answered your question about the planet and the world, and there's quite a bit of planet outside America. Traditionally there's christianity in Egypt, Syria and Ethiopia and probably more in that region and they didn't get it from the Europeans. So those people will have a very different perspective.

No I don't. But if you look at the world it's a different story than just America's history. I believe the Europeans are specifically to be blamed because they knew it was wrong, they were relatively advanced at that point in time, also in philosophy and ethics and for them it wasn't just the way things were. The catholics held the Valladolid debate for example, the protestant Dutch refused to enter the slave trade for more than 50 years because they considered themselves good christians, but still did later on and fabricated a biblical justification. The Europeans also came up with racist theories for justification which lasted even longer than their slavery.

But I believe that was despite christianity and christian values had a lot to do with abolition. I'm an atheist but rom that perspective christianity doesn't look that bad, that might be an explanation. Christians have also got quite good at spreading the gospel without force. Don't forget that for many people the world changed a lot, especially in the 2nd half of the 20th century, white christian Americans are a particularly backward brand of christians.
Lynott, I found this to be interesting, especially learning about the Valladolid debate and that in your opinion, "white christian Americans are a particularly backward brand of christians." So as I think about that, America was a ripe opportunity for Europeans to invade it and practice their deeply embedded brand of christian religion and not see anything "wrong" with how they treated "colonized" people. But how does that speak to the Atlantic Slave Trade? Specifically, how Africans were ripped from their homeland and brought against their will to populate America and Caribbean islands to be enslaved? Is this also acceptable under the white Christian religion?

There are Black Christians and white Christians who are reading from the same book and they sometimes worship together and pray to the same God. In the beginning, I believe it to be true that Africans were forced to learn and practice white people's religion, the religion of their enslavers, but after 400 years, why do they still do it? Is fear the only reason?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back