Black People : black business = poor service

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by jamesfrmphilly, Jan 7, 2006.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,729
    i have been diligently using black business and services.
    i must say that at everyone of these stores customer service is poor to non existent. the service people are rude and incompetent.
    why is it that black people working in a white owned business give decent service while black people working at a black owned store do not?
    as someone who is making an effort to spend his money with blacks i find this really discouraging.

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    The day care I take my children to is run by two Black men, with a mostly Black & Hispanic staff. It is by far the most professional, well mannered, and well run day care in the area. That being said, I don't feel that black business automatically equals poor service. Many people who are in business, clearly do not know the value of good customer service. This includes both white and black owned businesses. I always try to support black businesses whenever possible. But I feel no obligation to support a business who's prices aren't competitive, or one that does not seem to appreciate my support. If these places you are going to don't treat you right. By all means, stop going there. If they lose enough customers because of the way they run things, they will either have to change or go out of business.....which is the way it should be.

3. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm

I have not found this to be tru of all black businesses. For example, we are using a black business now. I dont think there have been too many complaints here. ( Unless you count a certain person's erased files. )

Have you bothered to complain to the management?

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Yes we are...that is a good point!

5. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    I think a lot of it has to do with the nepotism that plagues our community.

Many Black business owners staff their businesses with relatives and close friends who feel they can get away with whatever because they're cool with the boss and won't get fired.

Another factor is age.

Even though I'm in my twenties, I'm usually hesitant about being serviced by people in my age group because they usually tend to be unfocused, moody, and non-chelant.

You come into the place all happy and cheerful in hopes that you may find what you're looking for;

Then you run into some 17 year old girl with her belly out, underwear showing, popping gum and looking at you like you're speaking German.

....or on the celly totally ignoring you.

6. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,729
    this has been my experience around Philly

in Philly, bad service seems to be the rule. even in places that should know better.
    it would be very nice for me to take my money into a black place and get treated good.

that's all i want.

that rude young lady is putting the place out of business!

7. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    I think it was in another black business-related thread where I said that business comes down to one thing, black or white, and that is their Mission Statement, and/or Purpose for business. I believe businesses who have a sound Mission Statement/Purpose/Outlook are the best businesses that there are. Do we go into business for the right motives?

As far as the question, it has been half-and-half with me. However, I believe that we should do what Kemestry brought up - Go to Management, and sit down with Management! You never how your discussion or conversation would change the way that business is operated.

CD

8. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,729
    i went into a black store that i don't normally go into and i was treated well.
    I'll go back there again.

9. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    You all are blessed....

I would love to invest in a Black business, where i'm at they are so hard to find. My insurance car insurance company was Black owned. Other than that they are mainly either barbershops, barbecue joints, or beauty salons. I need to keep my eyes peeled.

10. Akilah

Akilah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
    Ratings:
    +36
    Lawd...but ain't that the TRUTH ???!!!

I feel what Brutha James is saying. I've experienced this same phenomena as well... but I continue to seek out black owned businesses also and just don't go back to places who's employees treat me and or my husband with disdain or contempt. Thankfully though, there are always those black owned businesses where the service, attitudes, and atmosphere are wonderful ! We have several favorites here in Montgomery where we live.
    The common denominator though is that the actual owners themselves are
    the ones that are serving / helping / selling to you in these establishments.
    These folks are so warm and down to earth that we now consider them to be personal friends and not just folks who's businesses we patronize.