Black Spirituality Religion : Black atheists

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by African_Prince, Oct 26, 2007.

1. African_Prince

African_Prince Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    What famous Black atheists do you know of? I've heard of John Henrik Clarke, Carlos Cooks, and some others whose names I can't remember. Are there any atheists on here?

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    yup...........

3. IntelligentNoir

IntelligentNoir Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +74
    I used to be, but had a change of heart.:SuN024:

4. African_Prince

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    I am also an atheist and a materialist. In short, religion/the idea of God is a mental straitjacket that undermines our ability to rely on ourselves for emotional support. If nothing else, it is simply illogical and disconnects us from reality.

5. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382

I don't know if there are any real Black atheist. I simply think that we acknowledge that the supreme power isn't out there somewhere but within ourselves...waiting to be tapped into and opened up. In other words, we simply brought it back down to earth where it belongs.

6. hiphopolx

hiphopolx Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +209
    maybe illogical from a abrahamic god school of thought. but it makes sense from other points of view particularly (but not only) the Medu Neter. It isn't based on blind faith, other wise I'd agree with you 100%.

Peace

7. African_Prince

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    The 'Supreme Power' is within us because we created it in our minds. The trouble with this idea is that there is nothing supernatural or divine about our minds. Our existence is material, our mind/consciousness is a neurlogical process that is conducted by our brains and our emotions are also produced in our brains.

All religions come from ignorance and superstition. Nothing supernatural exists, only the material universe exists and everything that is material is of material origin.

8. hiphopolx

hiphopolx Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +209
    QUOTE=African_Prince
    Our existence is material, our mind/consciousness is a neurological process that is conducted by our brains and our emotions are also produced in our brains.

So after the neurological process, the mind/consciousness is created?

What is guiding your neurological processes ?

Have you examined all ''schools of thought''(as opposed to religion) coming from ignorance and superstition ? Or was it only the popular schools of thought/religion?

Is all of existence material?

I'm looking forward to your reply

Peace

9. African_Prince

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    The mind/consciousness is the neurological process itself. My (probably crude) understanding is that an electric impulse passes through a neuron, when it reaches the end of that neuron, the neuron releases a chemical called a neurotransmitter which connects it to other neurons and this results in thought (this is usually but not always how neurons communicate). Your mind is not a seperate entity, it is an activity conducted by your brain. Your brain is like a musical instrument and your mind is like the sound that musical instrument produces.

I can't tell you the details about neuroscience or about the very first self-replicating molecules (indeed, there is much about the universe that scientists themselves don't understand), what I can tell you is that everything that is material is of material origin. When something is awe inspiring, unknown or difficult to grasp, people automatically want to credit it as supernatural or divine.

I'm not sure I understand. The reason why I say that religion comes from ignorance and superstition is because 1) ancient cultures used it to explain the science they did not understand at the time of said religions conception and 2) the idea that there are unexplainable, unseen agents in the universe that play a role in our lives dates back to pre-historic time, some anthropologists (evolutionary biologsts as well, I think ) believe that this superstitious reasoning served some pre-historic advantage.

Our existence is completely material and our environment is completely material. You can wrap your mind around the "invisible", non-material reality concept but you can prove or disprove that as much as you can the idea that banannas run around doing the Harlem shake when we're not watching.

I hope that you can consider it with an open mind.

10. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    please tell me where and when a thought has been quantified. can you explain the material aspects of time?
    while you are at it please show how gravity is material. measure the position of an electron for me, please.
    oh, and what about quantum entanglement?

when you get done with them i got a few more for you.......:1on1: