Black History : BLACK ARTISTS AND THEIR HISTORICAL AND POLITICAL SIGNIFICANCE...

Isaiah

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 8, 2004
Sometime ago brother Dusty Elbow asked me if all Black Culture consisted of was artists and musicians, which as artists and musicians go in THIS society, was kind of a low blow(SMILE!) But looking at the very powerful role our artists have played in, not only the entertainement arena, but the socio-political fabric of the world, I would say that their art and their politics are almost intertwined...

Look at, for example, Paul Robeson, a fantastic actor with operatic singing skils, who used his art to propagate Black liberation all over the world... How about actor Canada Lee, who also used his acting skills to bring exposure to Apartheid in South Africa - in the 1950's! How about Harry Belafonte, and his indefatigueable work in politics and the civil rights struggle???

Those of us who are old enough to have experienced the 1960's know that our artists were among the most delicious personalities of the period... The Lena Horne's, the Max Roach's, the Nina Simone's, and James Baldwin's were instrumental players in the struggle, not just some entertainers to be looked upon as insignificant self-seekers like White entertainers... Even now, a Stevie Wonder continues to play an important role with his lyrics, as did Robert Nestor Marley with his... Those who say that all these people represent is entertainment need to get their information straight...

Have you heard the words of Curtis Mayfield, or Donny Hathaway - all of them??? Not just the love songs??? Have you heard the very titles of the songs of John Coltrane and Pharoah Sanders, David Murray and Don Cherry??? Well, all you need to know about these proud men is that they have a consciousness beyond their artistic skills that they incorporate into their music... And what has to be understood is how important it is, and was, to hear a James Brown singing Say It Loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud... That was no novelty piece, it was real and heartfelt... James bought businesses and employed African Americans... "He said I dont want nobody to give me nothing... Just open up the door, and I'll get it myself..." That is a message of empowerment that reverberated and resonated in our communities at that time... Curtis Mayfield said We're a Winner, and that we were Movin' On Up, and that, too, resonated with our people...

So Art is powerful, and Black Art always tells the socio-historical place African people reside in at any given moment in history... I mean, you can tell we're in a lot of trouble listening to the music that's out here now...and we are as directionless as the music... Sorry for the longwindedness, but I am looking for some real commentary on this whether you agree or disagree with what I've said... Just give it some thought, and let's have a real strong discussion on the merits, or lack thereof...

Peace!
Isaiah

black artist...

right on isaiah,art and music has been in our souls always and in this country we have continued to express ourselves through great paintings,photographs by such greats as gordon parks and the always strong messages of brothers such as eddie harris,gil scott herron,marvin gaye as well as the always potent words of maya angelou and so many others who use thier gifts for the betterment of our people,speaking the truth even at the risk of thier careers,yes art is part of who we are and will always be so as long as one black person draws breath.

oldiesman said:
right on isaiah,art and music has been in our souls always and in this country we have continued to express ourselves through great paintings,photographs by such greats as gordon parks and the always strong messages of brothers such as eddie harris,gil scott herron,marvin gaye as well as the always potent words of maya angelou and so many others who use thier gifts for the betterment of our people,speaking the truth even at the risk of thier careers,yes art is part of who we are and will always be so as long as one black person draws breath.

Well, now, you see what others fail to see, brother Oldies, the fact that our artists are actually the recorders of our history in their space and time, only we don't wanna listen to 'em...

We'd much rather go back 5,000 years to a time I cannot much wrap my head around, rather than appreciate that which is the evolution of us NOW... I used to engage in that kinda thing myself, until I realized how great was the greatness that shone through AMIRI BARAKA, RICHARD WRIGHT, MUDDY WATERS, JAMES BROWN, ARETHA FRANKLIN, CHARLES PARKER, and all of the unknown cats who built this country's railroads, chopped their lumber, and loaded their ships... The cats who were thrown in prison, but still had a song in their heart, and those artists who ESCAPED the prison called AMERICA, and made the world know a great people and their culture LIVED in the hell from whence these artists had come... These brothers and sisters are My Glory, and that's good enough for me...

Peace!
Isaiah

black artist...

Isaiah said:
Well, now, you see what others fail to see, brother Oldies, the fact that our artists are actually the recorders of our history in their space and time, only we don't wanna listen to 'em...

We'd much rather go back 5,000 years to a time I cannot much wrap my head around, rather than appreciate that which is the evolution of us NOW... I used to engage in that kinda thing myself, until I realized how great was the greatness that shone through AMIRI BARAKA, RICHARD WRIGHT, MUDDY WATERS, JAMES BROWN, ARETHA FRANKLIN, CHARLES PARKER, and all of the unknown cats who built this country's railroads, chopped their lumber, and loaded their ships... The cats who were thrown in prison, but still had a song in their heart, and those artists who ESCAPED the prison called AMERICA, and made the world know a great people and their culture LIVED in the hell from whence these artists had come... These brothers and sisters are My Glory, and that's good enough for me...

Peace!
Isaiah
me too isaiah,me too,when i hear brother ray,b.b.,john lee hooker i can almost feel the pain in thier voices.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back