Black People : Black and Complacent

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by nfinite, Jun 7, 2004.

1. nfinite

nfinite Well-Known Member MEMBER

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Family,

I need to here your views on complacency among the Black community. The reason for my post is earlier in the day a young lady and I debated on Bill Cosby's statement at the NAACP meeting. Now although I feel many of you may disagree with him or even more with me, I still desire to hear your voice. Blatantly, she said that she felt the statement was wrong and that we were not to "blame" for some of our present situations. My view is basically this, complacency is very much alive in the black community, and to deny that fact is to deny truth. Many of my people find peace and self wealth in rims and chains, systems and flashy trucks. Although the majority of these people make "quick money" that doesn't get them anywhere. People who refuse education and the ability to advance in knowledge. Now don't get me wrong, I do not knock hustle, because all of us have done it to survive. But why settle for the C when the A is in grasp? Our ancestors have slaved to make the dream of a better life applicable for us, but many would rather drop-out and live a life under suited for their potential being. She totally disagreed, stating the all to famous statement that the "white man" holds us down. I know that is not as easy for us to advance, but the fact that we finally can counts for so much. Why don't people realize that? It could be just me, what do you guys think?

Nfinite Blessings
  2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Feb 9, 2001
    Greetings and welcome Nfinite! Thank you for joining and welcome to our community.

You have posed an interesting and controversial topic for us to discuss. In fact, we have discussed this at length already ever since Mr. Cosby's comments came under public scrutiny. If you're interested in knowing what's been said already about this important issue, I'd like to suggest that you surf through the various threads in this forum and check them out. You may find some interesting dialogue that you might want to respond to. Just so you'll know, you're not alone in your take on Cosby's comments. There are several among us who agree. And actually, a friend of mine shared his perspective and I found it to be one of the most enlightening essays I've read to date on the topic. Unfortunately I can't post it here without his permission. Interestingly, it's in synch with your views.

I hope you enjoy your time with us here and take advantage of all the opportunities that we have to offer you. Please join us if and when you can in Voice Chat. Many of the topics that we write about here are discussed there as well.

Queenie :spinstar: