Black People Politics : Black America With and Without Health-Care Reform

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Destee, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Black America With and Without Health-Care Reform

As the Affordable Care Act remains in jeopardy, new studies show where the African-American community stands.

By Cord Jefferson
    Posted: 04/17/2012 06:07 PM EDT

The problem? Much of it comes back to unemployment. For a variety of reasons, Blacks are jobless more, meaning they get insurance through their employer — the leading access to health care — less frequently than others. Of Blacks who do have jobs, many have part-time gigs, which typically don’t offer adequate health-care coverage.

The consequences of what will happen if the Supreme Court rules against the ACA are far-reaching. Millions of Americans who might otherwise not have health insurance will go back to living precariously without coverage. What’s more, many of those unfortunate people will be Black.

Even with the ACA things are not rosy for African-Americans and health care. Without the law, however, things simply get that much worse.

Click Here To Read Entire Article

:heart:

Destee

2. ckoolbreez

ckoolbreez Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +39
    I Agree Destee,
    With the rise in obesity, heart disease & diabetes in the Black community, losing this act would be a tragedy for decades to come. If we are the so called "Greatest Country in the World" then we should be able to provide health care to the greatest citizens in the world. For a country is nothing without its people.
    Why can’t they see that without the healthcare act the medical & pharmaceutical companies are doomed to failure anyway, since it is all based on the ability of the consumer to be able to pay for these services. The rich will not be able to carry load for these hospitals and drug companies alone. Eventually, most will have to close up shop bringing more unemployment to an already struggling economy. The Affordable Care Act will not only give Americans affordable health care it will also create vitally needed jobs, which in turn will hopefully filter into the Black community. It is not a fix-all by any means, but at least it’s a start.

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    all this have stress us into many types of illiness , no health care but at least there is a start but way off from what is needed....

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    :SuN032: you want health care? get republicans out of office!

5. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    I always get healthcare...in fact, it's illegal for a hospital to deny you healthcare...at least in Jersey it is. The bill? What bill? Once this B.S. gets passed, the pharmaceutical companies are going to have a bigger field day than they're having now! That's our problem right now....a dam job! Why so? Because once we get one of them jobs we get like little church mice afraid to speak or act for fear of losing that same job....and with our silence the chaos and death continues.

The history of us in this country proves one thing CONCLUSIVELY...the only time we have ever prospered or had any peace is when they were leaving us alone! Then we began building our own communities. Then we began building our own schools. Then we began hiring our own people. So what happened? We made the mistake of not having our own military to protect what we had built. That's what happened to us. Since we done decided to play their game as if it's the only game in town, everything about ourselves has gone down hill....from our unity factor, to our community factor, to our self respect factor and more. I don't need no one to tell me that I'm right about this because I have not only studied it but I have lived it and watched it change in my lifetime. We simply need to get back to black and leave these devils alone!! Our people started the "Insurance business", so how we just let them take it away from us?....oh, that's right, we decided to play their game and now we act like we got a problem stopping.

We have to stop looking at one side of the diamond that's being flashed in our faces. Turn that thing around and see what else is sparkling that we may not like or see.

6. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    unless everyone that is getting money now off of the current healthcare model can continue to get money under the improved model, then that model will be hotly-contested, undermined and eventually reversed.