Black Money Business Jobs : Black, America, Africa & The World

Discussion in 'Black Money Business Jobs' started by Umar, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Umar

Umar Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    Listening to the typical stories about Africa reminds me of listening to stories of so-called "bad Black neighborhood." Both always leave me asking the same question: "If these places are so awful, how come non-Africans keep opening up shops in them and never leaving?" Just as Black people spend more time undervaluing their own neighborhoods, so do they under value their native lands. While there's a tiny thread of understanding we're somehow connected to Africa, the image of the land set with famine, disease, hunger, starvation and "send a dollar a day to adopt a child you'll never meet" ads that run all the time via the great racism machine is the image we pull up when we think of Africa.

It's kinda like trying to make a Black version of a white icon. Close you're eyes and think "Santa" and we all know the fat white guy came up first. Now do the same thing with Africa? We all know what comes to mind, even if we don't want it too. Huts, spears, civil war, third world (because there's apparently three of them), low tech, and funny languages. Even for those of us that's have actually been there. That's how good the racism machine is. (Don't feel bad, I'm sure American media and rappers give Africans a wonderful outlook of what black American life are is like.)

If anyone does their research (and I'm sure everyone reading this has) one would know that Africa is developing rapidly and American and Europeans are jumping all over that development meat. Because of the rise of mobile networks like Safaricom and easy and rapid means of money exchange like M-Pesa, the mobile and Wi-Fi markets in Africa are growing, especially in places like Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya, South Africa and Tanzania. As a result of this e-commerce and entrepreneurship is rising and businesses are starting to grow and make a name for themselves - so much so that the world is beginning to notice. Business that are online and coming up with innovative products and idea that people are paying attention too. Businesses and ideas that, perhaps, we should be paying attention too as well.

For Example:

Saya - a very successful mobile chat App owned by people located in Ghana. It was created by Meltwater Entrepreneurial School of Technology (MEST) also, of course, in Ghana.

Ushahidi - a non-profit tech company that was created during the 2008 elections in Kenya and now specializes in developing free open-source software for data collection, visualization and interactive mapping.

iROKO Partners - the world’s largest distributor of African entertainment. Since launching in December 2010, the company has built a global audience of over 6 million unique users from 178 different countries.

Konga - One of Nigeria’s leading online mega-stores, Konga is growing rapidly across its mobile and SMS platforms. Founded in the summer of 2012, the company now has 150 employees. It promises to deliver products that range from flatscreen TVs to cosmetics anywhere in the country, within five days.

Afroes - foundeded by Anne Shongwe, Afroes produces applications and content for young people, which contain educational and social messages. It is in development with a series of mobile games and SMS reporting platforms that will form the interactive component of the Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund, "Champion for Children campaign." In 2012, the company won the prestigious MEF Social Responsibility and Development Award for its Moraba game in London.

What makes these entities stand out is they are black owned and/or black run. These are businesses started in Africa, and becoming successful with the African dollar rather than the world market. More importantly they connect Africa to the rest of the world in the same way the technology we used in America does meaning we have a direct connection with brothers and sisters in the motherland to get serious about building a real infrastructure. This is what every other group is doing with the mobile and internet economy that exists today. Isn't it time we do this as well?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    Welcome back bro. Umar, good seeing you again, and thanks for sharing ... good stuff!

3. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    Yes, we too are the descendants of continental africans, but when we've reclaimed that part of our history, we started out as way too idealistic, then became overly defeatistic:

Instead, what is also true of all things, one seeks a more realistic balance...

Such is also what the rest of the black disapora needs and I want them to be, since we are at best a sometimes positive influence, in this so called nation of immigrants...

FYI

4. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    :bowdown: :bowdown:

Some folk, those who don't try to keep up with what's going on in the motherland. (huts and spears are the LAST things I think of! :lol: )

There are more cell phones in the Motherland than there are in the U.S. :)

Plus, the World Bank ranks Rwanda as MORE politically stable than China and India:
    hear, hear! :toast:[/quote]

5. Umar

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    Ideology and history are very important, but we've pretty much played those cards to the hilt at this point. The reason ideology and history fall short is because it requires an infrastructure to hold it up. Here is where you actually use examples of other people (and not as a "see they better than us" way we tend to use it.) It is a fact that white people who practice the religion call Judism got if rough from white people who practice other religions. (And being "Jewish" does not make you another race, that was a fabrication created by Christians to dehumanize Jewish people in order to have an excuse to hurt and murder them.) They ideology and history is this fact. But they maintain an infrastructure therefore they can hold up their ideology and history.

Let me be more clear. The whole "hold you fist up and proclaiming I'm blacker than black" is the right attitude, but it's and ideology based upon a history. It is a survival attitude. But it must - and let me say it emphatically, IT MUST - have an infrastructure to support it. If must be an infrastructure run by us controlled and other people must be told "sorry, this one you cannot join, invest in or be a part of." There is not real difference between groups, and while what happens to black people is sick and evil and absolutely true, we have always had what we needed at our disposal to build a fort against it. This is why we must connect, we must support we much build and make sure what we build is something we can control.

Because if we don't start connecting with brothers and sisters, either here or across the world, who are using the tools of today to build something that can help so many tomorrow other people will do it and that will be that. We must connect, support and build a real infrastructure. We much connect and support, period.

6. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Overall, I agree with your conclusions. However, I wouldn't have used the word "infrastructure." IMO, focusing on infrastructure (the building blocks of a society) is akin to putting the horse before the cart. Ideology and history are NEVER "played to the hilt." Without knowledge of either, any infrastructure you build, you build on sand.

Without knowledge of one's history, well, "those who do not heed the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them." If you have never learned them in the first place, all the errors made by those who precede, YOU will repeat in ignorance. Ignore the lessons of history you have been taught and, to your detriment, you will repeat them.

Ideology comes out of heeding the lessons of history, and fashioning an intellectual model (as opposed to "reactive" emotionalism) or code of behavior to live by. Ideology gives one an "organized" way to think about the world and oneself ("ME") in relationship to the world. Without a coherent ideology, confusion, inconsistency and complicated decision-making on a PERSONAL level when dealing with world issues are your lot. A good example:

When Khrushchev first came to the U.S., he met and fell under the spell of the lovely, charming and gracious Jackie Kennedy, then First Lady of the United States. But it was not long-lasting. In casting off her 'spell', Khrushchev said something to the effect of why wouldn't he be taken with Jackie? She had been born into privilege. All the resources of the country were and had always been geared toward make her appealing. Everything she was, was a result of a capitalist system that impoverishes the working classes for the benefit of the rich, a system he thought immoral and to which he was diametrically opposed.

Jackie Kennedy's feminine appeal did not "wear" off for Khrushchev. Once he started thinking with his head again, (the one on top of his neck), Khrushchev's Communist World View asserted itself and he automatically recoiled and "cast" it off.

Khrushchev's Communist worldview told him WHO he was, WHAT he was about, and without him having to agonize once about Jackie being an 'individual', REMINDED him that she was the enemy. Which did not mean he treated her any the less kindly or respectfully, just to be aware of who he was dealing with and to make his decisions accordingly.
    This is the value, the gift of, for me, an (ideological) Africentric world-view. It keeps me grounded in who I am, what I'm about (my values and principles) and always aware of how I should conduct myself in any given situation. Thus, history and ideology are ALWAYS paramount. Infrastructure and everything else flows from them.

7. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    Yes, you have a lot of insights, but how do you counter the mindset plagued by those who allow the white media to promote their illusions, leading to wrong headed conclusions, and giving the mixed signals giving by black elected officials, including that lackluster colored guy in their White House, no telling so many of our relations are confused/dumbfounded/ad naseum?

Just what and who can we be and should be about, in 2014, brothenman?

You tell me!

8. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    Some of the most memorable contributors were made by the likes of African intellectuals etc., from Kwame to Kofi, worldwide...

Let our insights not be so confined to our peoples plight on this one white dominated continent....

FYI

9. Umar

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    Like Malcolm X said - look at the history of it. The untold story of what ended slavery were the rebellions. They were happening all the time, pretty much everywhere. That combined with the industrial revolution pretty much killed slavery as a mass practice (it's still practiced by Arabs). The reason so many slave rebellions sparked off like wild fires, even amongst Africans born and raised into slavery is because the very nature of how slavery was practice set up an infrastructure to make rebellion possible. Not because of white people, despite white people. Same is true for the falsely named "Civil Rights Era." Segregation created an infrastructure that made all those groups we praise today (but put down yesterday) possible. White people are a lot of things, stupid is not one of them. Integration and desegregation was pushed with the main purpose of destroying that infrastructure. This is what the incidents at Rosewood and Black Wall Street was all about - these communities were thriving because of the economic reality of circulating money. I know they make those incidents sound like the KKK gone wild, but that's a false oversimplification of the actual reasons behind the incident. Equally it was why even through Black people fought for rights, justice and freedom white people sold it as inclusion and integration. As soon as these things became a reality the Black movement lost it's infrastructure to hold up the ideology and history and today it's practically a joke.

This was done despite the mindset, despite self-hatred, despite racism/white supremacy. It never started with the masses, not one time. It was only the few who believed and everyone else came behind them. (Which is why so many people claim to be part of the movement but when you take a good look at their stories you can see they are lying. I'm looking at you, Angela Davis.) You never worry about the disbelievers, they will waste you time. You simply work with those who do believe and build from there. That's how most businesses are started and thrive.

It a new time, the racism is the same but the way the game is played is different. White people are not going to shut down the internet and despite all else it create opportunity for building a cogent infrastructure that could sustain us all, just as it's doing for many businesses and organizations today.

10. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    The Civil Rights Movement was fought EXACTLY for what its name states: Civil Rights. Integration was simply a by-product of gaining Rights afforded by the constitution.

Although some blacks are going all out to destroy it, the so-called "infrastructure" of the Civil Rights Movement continues unto today. It's called The Black Church. Without the Black Church, an institution that was created by and for black people, there would have been no leadership for the Civil Rights Movement. Because it is an institution, it is self-perpetuating, i.e., so long as black people support and service it, it will continue. Although having spent itself during the Civil Rights Movement and is now in a weakened state, the institution of the Black Church survives - bowed, but not destroyed. As with all institutions, the Black Church is not merely a brick and mortar entity. It is an idea that non-blacks cannot destroy, a way of life. Thus, should every black church in America be burned to the ground today (as whites did during Freedom Summer), tomorrow black people will meet in twos and threes under a shade tree.

The institution of the Black Church is not only independent of bricks and mortar or any particular location, it is not dependent upon any particular denomination, any particular preacher (when Dr. King died, the Civil Rights Movement died - the Black Church did not). During the Civil Rights Movement, the Black Church sent its clergy out to battle. Should every black preacher disappear today, tomorrow others will arise. After the protracted engagement in the 1960s with whites and racism, and despite current-day assaults by some black people, the Black Church is bowed.... but it lives! So long as black people serve and worship, the institution of the Black Church will always be there to reciprocate, to attend to OUR needs as WE direct it to.

Slave revolts, like the Civil Rights Movement, were neither led nor undertaken by atheists. At the core, the "infrastructure" if you will, of ALL African-American resistance is and has always been The Black Church, the SOLE institution of black America. Whites have built by and for whites, dozens of institutions (church, banking, military, industrial, communications - including the internet, i.e., we can "use" it, but they run it, etc.). Built by and for blacks, black people have "one." An institution some blacks seek to destroy, yet have NOTHING to take its place.... except for the pathetic, sure-fire loser in the face of organized oppression, "every man/woman for him or herself."