Black People : Black Adults’ Happiness Influenced by Bond with Racial Identity

Amnat77

REGISTERED MEMBER
Dec 11, 2006
UK..not for long
Occupation
professional.
In a new study, Michigan State researchers have found that black people who identify more strongly with their racial identity are generally happier.

“This is the first empirical study we know of that shows a relationship between racial identity and happiness,” said Stevie C.Y. Yap, doctoral candidate in psychology at MSU and lead researcher on the project.

Previous research has found a relationship between racial identity and favorable outcomes such as self-esteem, Yap said, but none has made the link with happiness.

For the study, the researchers surveyed black adults in Michigan. The results suggest the more the participants identified with being black – or the more being black was an important part of who they are – the more happy they were with life as a whole, Yap said.

The study also explored the reasons behind the connection. Yap said it may be fueled by a sense of belongingness – that is, blacks with a strong sense of racial identity may feel more connected to their racial group, which in turn makes them happy.

This sense of belongingness is especially important for happiness in women, Yap said.

“For men, the potential factors relating identity to happiness is still an open question,” he said.

The research, funded by the National Institute of Mental Health, appears in the current issue of Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology.

http://psychcentral.com/news/2011/0...enced-by-bond-with-racial-identity/24181.html

...and it affects children as well.
Black children show high rates of esteem after 10 or 11, compared to their peers. This is directly related to 'racial identity', 'ethnic awareness' and 'group membership'.

Oh, and the findings - the assumptions - from the 'Black/White Doll Test' and black self-esteem were overstated. I'm only saying it...because I know that someone's going to bring it up. Before you do, take into consideration that this test WAS conducted in the '40's.

Quoted from memory - but, I did find these reports using the names of the authors. Skimmed them. Never read the studies 'in depth'. Will have to go back to it.
...but it looks good. Interesting.
I couldn't post links but if you're interested, type the names of these authors into your search engine: gray-little & Hafdahl

You're looking for these two pdf articles:
- SELF ESTEEM STUDIES IN MIDDLE SCHOOL YEARS.
A STUDY OF ETHNIC AND GENDER GROUPS

- JOURNAL OF BLACK PSYCH

'Self Haters?'
I don't care about them. I don't mind other black folks 'calling them out', either. The purpose, in my mind, is to stifle them. It's the only reason I've ever done it: To shut them up.
Now, if they end up with ANOTHER 'complex'?
*shrug*
So?

People like this represent a barrier to communication and harmony. They're always trying to 'project'. Always dragging their own people through the mud. Always trying to drag EVERYONE into their crazy 'personal' dysfunction.
Always trying to pawn their ish off on other people -- and I absolutely cannot STAND adults who seem unable to take responsibility for themselves, their choices, their lives and the people that they allow into them.
It just irks the hell out of me.

"I can't find a black man so black man ain't worth a d*mn."
"I can't pull decent black women that means that every black woman is ain't worth a d*mn."
"I'm f'ed up and I'm black. You're black - so, you must f'ed up, too!"
"Black people are soo childlike and ignorant -- "
"I don't date black men..."
"See, this is why I don't date black women..."

Ugh. Where's a 'Racial Draft' when you need one! <-- There's a simple solution.
You don't like your people? Fine. Shut up and get out...and stay out of our gene pool!

It's a lot like work. Follow me on this parallel: Pertaining to 'work', sometimes --the best solution to a morale problem is just to fire all the unhappy people.
*laugh*

BTW, have you ever heard of 'Demotivators'? My man has this big a** poster with the above caption tacked to the wall in his office. He even got the book and he quotes from it all the time. I said, 'You should SO not be reading this.' I mean, he's already an A-hole. He doesn't need tip...
*laugh*

ANWAY -
One dude told me that those 'who are then most f'ed up need the most help and love'.
Maybe...but, not from me. I'm not going to be psychoanalyzing mf's. I don't have the time to entertain these people and their bullsh*t.
...and I love my culture. However...I'm not ashamed to say that...there are some people that 'we' could really do without.
*laugh*

In a new study, Michigan State researchers have found that black people who identify more strongly with their racial identity are generally happier.

“This is the first empirical study we know of that shows a relationship between racial identity and happiness,” said Stevie C.Y. Yap, doctoral candidate in psychology at MSU and lead researcher on the project.

Previous research has found a relationship between racial identity and favorable outcomes such as self-esteem, Yap said, but none has made the link with happiness.

For the study, the researchers surveyed black adults in Michigan. The results suggest the more the participants identified with being black – or the more being black was an important part of who they are – the more happy they were with life as a whole, Yap said.

The study also explored the reasons behind the connection. Yap said it may be fueled by a sense of belongingness – that is, blacks with a strong sense of racial identity may feel more connected to their racial group, which in turn makes them happy.

This sense of belongingness is especially important for happiness in women, Yap said.

“For men, the potential factors relating identity to happiness is still an open question,” he said.

The research, funded by the National Institute of Mental Health, appears in the current issue of Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology.

http://psychcentral.com/news/2011/0...enced-by-bond-with-racial-identity/24181.html

Makes sense to me!......Loving self and loving/reveling in your culture and history is the epitome of being "at home in one's own skin."

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back