Black People : blac class warfare in Philly, who benefits?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by jamesfrmphilly, Jul 13, 2004.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    class warfare is in full effect in Philadelphia.

uncle Bill fired the first shot in this latest battle.

now there seems to be a clear division between the suits and the tee shirt wearers. (i wear tees)

the grass roots black people threw a demonstration against the NAACP outside the convention hall.
    so we have the Negroes in suits inside the venue peeping out at the Black people in tees and sneakers outside.

can this be good for us as a whole?
    is this the best use of our resources, some Black people shutting down some other Black peoples convention?

the suits seem quite offended by the hip hoppers and there is a lot that's offensive in hip hop.
    yet Robert Johnson, who is firmly ensconced in the suits camp, made billions pimping, guess what, hip hop.

does this split have anything to do with the upcoming election?
    has anyone looked at Cosby's new cartoon show? no?
    is that what he's really mad about? :shades:

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Class has always been an issue in most societies and not just in Philadelphia among Black people and certainly not because of Bill Cosby. Is it a problem? Of course it is, particularly when people make a point to hoard wealth, be selfish with it, turn their backs, deaf ear and blind eye to those that can benefit from it, those that think they are better than others because of it, and want/desire more of it no matter how much they have already and don't really need it.

What is it really that we can say, Brother James? Sadly, Black people can be just as guilty of classism as the next person. What does that say about us? That we're no better and no worse than anyone else. Yes, we are a unique people--particularly African Americans because we are detached from our roots. But nevertheless, we can be just as myopic, just as selfish, just as greedy as the people we tag as the oppressors. Classism is the epitome of egotism. It's the worst kind of selfish behavior in my view. We all know what it means, how it feels and how it manifests itself in our daily lives. We also know how it's perpetuated and promoted.

The suits vs. the jeans and t-shirts.

The Bentley's vs. the hoopties.

The Ph.D. vs. the GED

The suburbs vs. the projects

The designer label vs. the Wal-Mart label

The Greek organizations vs. grassroots individuals

The Christians (some) vs. the "heathens"

The wannabes vs. the jiggaboos

In many ways, in all walks of life, classism raises its ugly head when there are those who think they are better than others simply because they have something that others may not have (in spite of the fact that the "others" may not even want it).

The upcoming presidential elections (if they ever take place) are all about what it's always been about: power and control.

No, I haven't seen Cosby's new show and don't want to see it. Could this be what is really upsetting him? It could be but I don't think it is the driving force behind his new outspoken behavior. Who knows...maybe he's thinking about going into politics and this is an early campaign speech. Hmmmm....after all, if Ronald and Arnold can do it, why can't he?

Queenie :spinstar:

3. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Why were they protesting the NAACP?

I'm sorry but Mfume; and I watched him on Bill O'reilly is a suck-up and possibley a sell-out.

What Queen said is the facts; but I don't think that We let it destroy Us that much-- because in the real world no matter who you are or what you got--Black is Black.

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    Mumia Abu Jamal

5. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
  6. NNQueen