Black People : Birtherist response highlights racial undertones of ‘debate’

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Amnat77, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    During the 2008 campaign, questions about John McCain's birth in the Panama Canal Zone on a U.S. military base prompted some to ask whether McCain was eligible to be president, since the Constitution stipulates that anyone not born in the United States is not eligible to be president.

Amid a flurry of news reports, McCain's own campaign announced in February 2008 that it was conducting an investigation. When a bipartisan pair of lawyers announced the following month that McCain was indeed eligible, the issue virtually died--apart from a Senate resolution that pretty much laid the question to rest by attesting to the facts surrounding McCain's birth and citizenship.

But the winner of the 2008 election, Barack Obama, has faced a relentless campaign questioning his U.S. citizenship--and thereby the legitimacy of his presidency--that has disregarded the facts.

Questions regarding Obama's birth certificate have persisted for more than two years, as the president noted Wednesday at a press conference announcing the release of his long-form birth certificate. A vast array of evidence attests to Obama's citizenship--including a certificate of live birth, signed affidavits from people who viewed Obama's long-form birth certificate, confirmation by Hawaiian officials, and independent investigations by news outlets. Nevertheless, "this thing just keeps going" as Obama said this morning. Even after the White House released the long-form certificate of Obama's birth, birther leader Orly Taitz—who has filed unsuccessful lawsuits seeking to obtain access to Obama's birth certificate—sought to cast doubt on the document's authenticity, suggesting that in 1961, Hawaiian officials would have classified Obama as "Negro" rather than using designation "African," which suggests, in her view, a more contemporary concern for "political correctness."

So what's fueling the dogged questioning of Obama's origins? Many critics of the birther movement say its core tenets--and its stubborn resistance to evidence disproving those beliefs--can be traced to racial hostilities. The fundamental birtherist conviction, these critics say, is that an African-American can't have legitimately won the presidency--and that his elevation to power therefore has to be the result of an elaborate subterfuge.

"There is a real deep-seated and vicious racism at work here in terms of trying to de-legitimate the president," Peniel Joseph, a professor of history at Tufts University, told The Ticket.

"This is more than just a conspiracy," Joseph added. "I think this is fundamentally connected to a conception of white supremacist democracy in this country."

Miami Herald columnist Leonard Pitts Jr. in early April called for the connection to be publicly drawn between birthers and racism: "So it is time to call this birther nonsense what it is--not just claptrap, but profoundly racist claptrap."

And columnist Michael Tomasky wrote for The Guardian Wednesday that the birther conspiracy "had to be the only explanation for how this black man got to the White House." He added: "And if you think race isn't what this is about at its core, ask yourself if there would even be a birther conspiracy if Barack Obama were white and named Bart Oberstar. If you think there would be, you are delusional."

In a similar vein, Rev. Jesse Jackson told Politico yesterday that Donald Trump's campaign to get Obama to release his birth certificate is deeply rooted in race.

"Any discussion of [Obama's] birthplace is a code word," Jackson said. "It calls upon ancient racial fears." Jackson later added that, in his view, Trump "is now tapping into code-word fears that go far beyond a rational discourse."

Birthers emphatically deny such criticism. But it's difficult to apprehend the ongoing resistance to proof of Obama's citizenship without crediting racial fear as a significant factor. At first, after all, many adherents of birtherism argued that the administration fueled speculation by failing to release the long-form version of Obama's birth certificate, but now that this version has been released to the public, the call continues to go out for other kinds of information about Obama's past to be released--a level of scrutiny that neither McCain nor Obama's 43 predecessors in the Oval Office were expected to face.

Trump, who has railed against Obama as he floats himself as a presidential contender, on Wednesday at a press conference in New Hampshire called for Obama to release his academic transcripts:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theti...ont-end-race-related-attacks-on-the-president

2. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    ''Orly Taitz—who has filed unsuccessful lawsuits seeking to obtain access to Obama's birth certificate—sought to cast doubt on the document's authenticity, suggesting that in 1961, Hawaiian officials would have classified Obama as "Negro" rather than using designation "African," which suggests, in her view, a more contemporary concern for "political correctness."''

This woman is beyond stupid...

3. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    [​IMG]

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    undertones? naw, that entire thing is flat out racist. even the other white people are calling them out.

5. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    WHATS NEXT? THEY GONNA ASK HIM FOR HIS FREEDOM PAPERS?

6. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Waht is all the nutiness about???????

Dick Gergory
    Shirley Chisholm
    Jesse Jackson

all ran for president, all showed their birth certificate

what is the big deal for crying out loud

This stuff ahs gone on how long:qqb009:

What I as someone who voted for him would like to see is exactly who were the people from the military and finance that he had to confer with in the basement of the White House before the second swearing in:SuN016:

and what was said!!!!!!!!!

7. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    no president has harassed about a birth certificate,I'm just saying....

8. abstract219

abstract219 ...standing on the shoulders of giants MEMBER

United States
    Behavioral Health
    Ratings:
    +548
    They got a whole media conglomerate dedicated to fueling this mess...Fox News and Rupert Murdock.

College GPA's? Id like to see Trump's GPA.

9. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    My brother every Black first had to go through something, and much less then someone simply asking for a birth certficate

If I was making 450 thousand a year, with 2 million in perks, a gauranteed vestiture after 4 years work of a tenth of a billion

and went to bed with a little black box, with a button that could destroy all life on the planet

and some racist knucka even fixed thier face up to make a remark about my birth certificate in my first day in office

I would order my campaign manger to have 10 thousand of my best supporters,
    do a demonstration in front of the accusing party;
    wearing t shirts,
    car placards,
    pickets, and Thanksgiving day Macy's parade size helium floats with my birth certificate printed clearly on all of them,

and make sure
    CNN, C Span ABC, PBS, FOX, BBC and Al Jezeera

filmed it live so there would be a permanet record on the web

just to shut those folks up:dance1::dance1::dance1:

10. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560

smh. I agree.

See, this produces two sensations within me.

1. This woman can't even READ. The Birth Certificate clearly says that the "RACE OF THE FATHER" is "AFRICAN."

And, YES, his FATHER was AFRICAN.

So, on this level, she is LAUGHABLE.

2. This very IGNORANCE and fathomable HATRED, typical of the mindsets of many Whites, is a prime example of the LUDICROUS notion that there is any such thing as a "POST-RACIAL" society or element in the U.S.

The very people who even have the AUDACITY to UTTER such a statement, IMO, would be the same people who would say:

"Well, we let yall VOTE, didn't we?!"

"And, we let yall SIT and SHOP and LIVE by us and WORK with us and go to SCHOOL with us, didn't we?!"

"Look at all them "FIRST BLACK" this-and-thats yall got!....We let yall do alla THAT, didn't we?!"

:flame: Just BURNS me up!....And if any White person were to EVER speak that phrase to me, I'd have to restrain myself from SLAPPIN' the taste outta their mouths!