Black Entertainment : BIRTH OF A NATION TAKES LIBERITIES WITH THE TRUTH

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
Out of necessity, "The Birth of a Nation" takes a lot of liberties with truths and unknowns about Nat Turner, fleshing out the skeleton of what the history books tell us.

Instead of having Nat being sold a number of times throughout his life, Parker keeps him with the same owner — the Turner family — throughout. Matriarch Elizabeth Turner (Penelope Ann Miller) takes a shine to Nat and helps to teach him how to read. While that part is true, keeping him with the same family allows Parker to show a young Nat (Tony Espinosa) being friends with his eventual master Samuel (Armie Hammer) from youth. He also gives Nat a lifelong nemesis in a slave tracker (Jackie Earle Haley), who, by the end of Nat's life, will have run down his father and hurt his wife Cherry (Aja Naomi King).

Ultimately, it makes "The Birth of a Nation" less a good faith attempt at reconstructing Nat Turner's life leading up to the rebellion and more a stylized fable, loosely rooted in an extraordinary true story.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap...ntly-tells-tale-Nat-Turner.html#ixzz4NNjUMLSW
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
I believe when writing a screen play based on a true store, it is necessary to take some liberties with actual effents.

That is one reason to read the book. Then you are in the position to point out the inaccuracies and the reason they were necessary in the film.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
IFE Black Entertainment : Stop Blaming Black Women for ‘Birth of a Nation’s’ Low Opening Black Entertainment 15
jamesfrmphilly Black Entertainment : birth-of-a-nation-dismal-debut Black Entertainment 38
Kemetstry Black Entertainment : BIRTH of a NATION: REVIEW Black Entertainment 5
Queenie Black Entertainment : Birth of a Nation Black Entertainment 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : #NatTurner: 'Birth of a Nation' is more than just a film Black Entertainment 121
OldSoul OldSoul : NATE PARKER MAKES HISTORY AT SUNDANCE AS “BIRTH OF A NATION” EARNS LARGEST FESTIVAL DEAL EVER OldSoul 30
skuderjaymes Black People : MLK: "The Birth Of A New Nation" sermon Black People Open Forum 0
SwagII Black Spirituality Religion : Did The Fear Of Death Give Birth To Religion? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 18
C Black People : Created Or Birth Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : Belief Create The Fool But Divine Knowledge Give Birth To Wisdom. Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : A Black Woman who was given three days to live at birth graduates from college Black People Doing Positive Things 2
Kemetstry Health and Wellness : MALE BIRTH CONTROL TESTED Black Health and Wellness 0
Ndugu Black People : Voter Supression, in the birth state of the leader , that battled for the Voting Rights Act Black People Open Forum 1
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Condoleezza Rice says America was born with a birth defect: slavery African American History Culture 4
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : DEFINITION OF GOSPEL (Euaggelion): A Birth or military victory By Andre Austin I first learned of AACOOLDRE 1
B Black People : I would like to know what do these numbers on a birth certificate mean, "054 CT 1922:4"? Black People Open Forum 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Christians : Megachurch pastor ignites debate after suggesting that Christianity doesn’t hinge on Jesus’ birth Christian Study Group 4
1poetsought Black Poetry : Birth This... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : JOSEPHUS's JOKE on THE HOLY BIRTH AACOOLDRE 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Scandal epicode spoofs Saturnalia Christmas birth into death AACOOLDRE 1
jamesfrmphilly Health and Wellness : teen-birth-rates-fall-to all time-low Black Health and Wellness 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : yo mama lied on your Birth Cert: farrakhan + Obama AACOOLDRE 0
TruthHitman Black Spirituality Religion : The Virgin BIRTH MYTH Theory Exposed Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Michael Smith Black Spirituality Religion : THE REAL-STORY OF YASHUA'S BIRTH Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 4
Asomfwaa Black Parenting : $6,000 to Birth a Child. No thanks. Alternatives? Black Parenting 29
KaHotep Black Poetry : resistance mountains power, women birth school Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
KaHotep Black Poetry : Giving Birth They Follow Suit Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
legit-writer Black People : Partial Birth Abortions Black People Open Forum 9
jamesfrmphilly Health and Wellness : france gives free birth control and abortions.. Black Health and Wellness 2
Destee Audio Video Web Conferencing : NEW BIRTH WILDFLOWER Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Shikamaru Black Money Business Jobs : [Legal History] Birth Certificates, Identity, Law, and You Black Money Business Jobs 2
Destee Single Black Mothers : Hi My Name is Destee and I am a Single Black Mother - Pregnant at 16 - Gave Birth at 17 Black Women 41
Destee Black People Politics : Arizona Sheriff Unveils Obama Birth Probe Black People Politics 9
Ankhur Black People : How Would Dr King have desired to Be Honored, By Us 83 Years After His Birth Black People Open Forum 0
VirgoMistress Black Women : At home birth or hospital birth Black Women 6
K Black Astrology : The Significance of My Birth Date Black Astrology 8
Amnat77 Black People : Trump aide says release of unofficial birth certificate an 'oversight' Black People Open Forum 5
MsInterpret Black People : Ohio Woman turns 119 but no birth certificate Black People Open Forum 9
cherryblossom Black Entertainment : New Birth Black Entertainment 2
Kemetstry Black People : Recession Lowers Teen Birth Rate Black People Open Forum 2
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Mary's Age when she gave birth AACOOLDRE 3
PurpleMoons Black Women : Birth Control Lotion? Black Women 10
S Nigeria : Nigerian Couple Give Birth to Blue-Eyed Blonde Hair Baby Nigeria 5
R Black People : Birth Control Pills Making Women Choose Mr. Wrong Black People Open Forum 2
Ankhur Black People : Brzezinski and the birth of the Taliban and Al Qeada Black People Open Forum 0
S Black People : Black Brazilian mother gave birth to three white children Black People Open Forum 21
Destee Black People : Condoleeza Rice - U.S. has a Birth Defect - Racism Black People Open Forum 7
KWABENA Black Astrology : Michael Jordan's Birth-Natal Chart Black Astrology 2
KWABENA Black Astrology : Trouble, or just 'T.O.?' - Terrell Owens' Birth-Natal Chart Black Astrology 17
KWABENA Black Astrology : Air Kobe! - Kobe Bryant's Birth-Natal Chart Black Astrology 0