Black Spirituality Religion : Billy Graham, With Nothing Left To Prove

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Poetpreacher, Nov 13, 2013.

?

Do you think today's generation is receptive to Billy Graham's Message

1. Yes

25.0%
  2. No

75.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Poetpreacher

Poetpreacher Active Member MEMBER

Poet and Author
    Ratings:
    +29
    There I was, a little boy, lying on my stomach on the floor of my room listening to this strange voice on the radio with a (what I now know to be a southern accent) preaching a message of love. I cannot say that I understood everything that he was saying all I knew was that his voice was soothing and I heard the most important words like Jesus, love and the Cross. I thought of this as my church on Sundays. As a little boy I had no interest in religion but I knew better than not to listen when the word of God is being preached. One thing that stood out for me in his messages from back then and still stays with me today is the fact that his messages were simple.

The base of all his messages was the Cross and that Jesus died so that we may live. While other preachers were preaching fire and brimstone, he was reminding us that God's love is the most important thing that we sinners need to know. Standing there in the midst of hundreds of people, it would seem as if it was just him talking directly to you in a room. That is a quality that I think is lost in today's mega churches.

It's being quite a while since I heard anything about Billy Graham. So much so, that I search the Web for persons dead or alive to see if he was still around. I guess I feared that he would pass away without much fanfare. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that he was 94 years of age at the time and still on fire for the lord even though he wasn't doing as much speaking engagements like he used to when he was in his prime.

This brings me to my main point, his longevity. I heard somewhere back in the day that he got saved at age 17 and hasn't looked back since. We who are Christians know how difficult it is to maintain our faith as there are so many temptations and obstacles in our path. The matter is also compounded by those that do not want to hear anything that has to do with religion or to even entertain the name of Jesus, let alone engage in a deep dialog over the subject. So for him to stay the course from that time to now, being in his twilight years... is really remarkable to say the least.

Let's face facts here. We are all witnesses to seeing great people rise and fall. Sometimes we root for those who rise from humble beginnings and we rejoice when oppressors fall. But in the end we are most impacted by people when while at the top, those that are in that position and have the platform, make great use of the time they were there. And so we look at Billy Graham.... not for his position, not for his steadfastness, but for his belief in Jesus Christ. Not wavering, not doubting, but believing to the point where hundreds of people in faraway lands not speaking English, but somehow got the message and have given their lives to Christ as a result.

So if you are on the fence about this Christian thing, wondering whether or not you should believe, because you have listened to so many preachers and you're not convinced. Take one last listen to Billy Graham on November 7th, 2013 as he delivers what he calls, "his final message to the world". I do not know what he is going to say or if his voice will hold, or if he will be impressive enough to convince you to give your life to Christ. All I know is if someone spends 60 years telling you that God loves you and he sent his son to die on the cross so that you might rein forever with him in heaven, I think I would listen to a man like that, because that is the work of someone who was placed on this earth for a reason.

Think how we would feel on judgment day when God asks the rhetorical question, “Didn’t I place a man on earth telling you about my son for 60 years", what would we tell him?

We all know that things are not getting any easier. And mankind is always seeking answers to questions that other men cannot answer. We struggle from day to day to make sense of what is going on around us, why the world has gotten so evil, why so many are suffering and why do many so hearts have turned away from God.

Yet a decision still have to be made, I can't promise you that life will be any easier after accepting Christ, but with the bible as your guide, some of the answers to your questions will be revealed.

So I hope you will listen to what this man of God has to say. He has seen a lot and heaven knows he has been through a lot. But for what it is worth, you can be assured that there will be no pretense, there will be no acting, his message will be the same. He has done it for too long to change now. What you will see is the real deal, because Billy Graham has stayed the course, and he has nothing left to prove.

www.stoetry.com/social-issues-blog.html

2. butterfly#1

butterfly#1 going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    Poetpreacher, I too grew up listening to Billy Graham. All thru my childhood and early adult years, I would be at my TV watching and listening attentively, hanging on to every word he spoke. His messages, delivered in his soft, very finite delivery was like a true word of love and commitment to Christianity. I ate it up.

But, as I've grown older, I question his true character. I know that sounds sacrilegious, but....at some point, It was revealed that during the Nixon years and maybe during other times when advising POTUS, he had used the N .. word. For this, I have now changed my opinion of him. That one thing, if he doesn't admit and ask forgiveness for this fault in speech, I feel he is flawed and a racist. This has bothered me all this time. I hope he will repent. I'm very dismayed.

I can't remember the time or the incident in which this occurred, but I'm looking for the evidence to backup my viewpoint on the net. At this point, I'm handicapped using my cellphone.

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    :11100: the white man is not god......

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074

The White Man's Got a God Complex by The Last Poets

5. Poetpreacher

Poetpreacher Active Member MEMBER

Poet and Author
    Ratings:
    +29
    God places different people with different supposes to do his will on this earth. After the work Is over only what we do for God will count. I am not concern whether or not Christians got the message...as the saying goes, God didn't come for those are saved but for those that needs a Savior. I can only speak on what I see and if this man as committed any faults in his 60 of telling people to come to Christ... That only makes him human. . I do not know if he has repented for using the "N" but what I will not do... is not to forgive someone that God may have already forgiven.

6. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    and that is why black people are still slaves......too forgiving of white devils

7. I'm Becoming Me

I'm Becoming Me Well-Known Member MEMBER

Lover & Fighter...
    Ratings:
    +1,219
    What was his final message to the world?

I believe he's a Christian Universalist now, more than likely.

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074

This is the best I could find in support of Graham's anti-Semitic character flaw and apology, but not use of the N-Word, butterfly#1:

Billy Graham on the Nixon Tapes

There is no question, though, that Billy Graham has a long history of making private statements that were hurtful to Jews, and ought to be offensive to all people. Sadly, it's a trait that his son, Franklin Graham, has picked up -- only he saves his choice remarks for Muslims instead of Jews. It's equally clear that the recently surfaced comments by Reverend Graham the elder are as bad or worse than those which surfaced in the past.

http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/...ld/2009/06/nixons_tapes_billy_graham_and.html

Sins of the son: Sad treatment for Billy Graham

Billy Graham has not escaped controversy. He had a very bad moment in 2002 when tapes of conversations from 1973 with Richard Nixon became public. In the tapes, Nixon railed against Jews and Graham responded that Jews befriended him but “they don’t know how I really feel about what they are doing to this country.” The rest of the conversation was decidedly anti-Semitic. When the tapes came to light, Graham said he didn’t remember the conversation but apologized profusely.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...1f5de2-29f4-11e2-96b6-8e6a7524553f_story.html

9. willa

willa Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +299
    "The White man is not God..."
    Of corse he is not.
    But he is the cause of ALL the Black man's trouble from one end of the earth to the other in 2013. Yes?

A King offered to trade places with the King whose people were living in poverty and afflictions next to his realm. So the trade was made and the entire wealthy kingdom left their housing, their cities, their machinery and their wealth. They all moved to the poor villages and dirt roads, no jobs, no schools, no hospitals. All the kingdom next door people moved into that of the King's who had been scorned and blamed for their troubles.

What do you think happened with the people of the two traded kingdoms, now?

Let the White man run to pick up Christianity. If the White man dives for it, let him have it to himself. Is that the sane answer?

10. willa

willa Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +299
    "They don't know how I really feel about what they are doing to this country." By taking people away from Christ in their teachings.
    "It's a trait that his son, Franklin Graham, has picked up -- only he saves his coice remarks for Muslims instead of Jews." because of taking away from Christ in their teachings.