Black People : Bill passed gives, Puerto Rican citizens , right to vote for statehood/ independence

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Ankhur, May 7, 2010.

1. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,015
    JUAN GONZALEZ: Congressman Cerrano, I’d like to move on to another issue that you maybe have not gotten as much press attention as you have over your call for the boycott, but could ultimately has a major, major impact on politics in the United States and in the island of Puerto Rico. For the last 112 years Puerto Rico has been claimed as a territory of the United States and last week in Washington the House of Representatives approved a measure that would allow referendum on Puerto Rico’s political future. The bill, which passed on a 223 to 169 vote, provides for a two-step process in which Puerto Ricans would first vote on whether they wish to maintain the island’s current status as a U.S. Commonwealth or change direction. If the latter choice prevails, Puerto Rico could then hold a second vote presenting four options: statehood, independence, the current status, or sovereignty linked to the United States known as free association. The voting, however, would not be binding. Admission to the union as a state would still require the approval of the U.S. Congress.

AMY GOODMAN: Last week’s vote divided all four U.S. Congress Members of Puerto Rican descent. You, New York Democrat Jose Serrano, was one of those who backed the measure. Joining us on the phone now, talk about this legislation and the passage of it, what you think the significance is.

CONGRESS MEMBER JOSE CERRANO: Well, the significance is that, in my opinion, this bill simply begins a process. One could argue that on a couple of occasions Puerto Ricans have spoken have spoken on the subject and it’s true that locally they put together, you know, their version of what the future should be and they put a plebiscite on and there was no clear indication of where they wanted to go. But you know, it wasn’t Puerto Rico that invaded the United States, it was the United States that invaded Puerto Rico in 1898 so I hold that the United States Congress, which is the one that disposes of the territory, should at least have asked the folks in Puerto Rico to vote and then they would consider the vote or not, but at least ask them to vote. So this would be the first time that Congress would have told, during those 112 years, ‘Go ahead.’ So to me it starts a process, a process which eventually may end the colonial status. And I want to be clear, I can give you an argument in favor of independence. I can give you an argument in favor of statehood or free association. I can’t give you an argument in favor of a colonial status and what I would wish would happen is that at the end of the process Puerto Rico is not a colony of the United States, but either a state, an independent nation or an associated republic.

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/5/6/house_vote_on_puerto_ricos_status

2. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +864
    Its about time. Time for them to piss or get off the pot.

3. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771

They won't do either, P.R.'s gov. has gotten used to hand-outs. P.R.'s are not proud enough to go independent.

4. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    Well there are others who need it. When we get rid of them, we should take on Jamaica or Haiti as a commonwealth.

We build those two up, then kick them off.

Who's next?

I want Liberia... just because I like the name LIBERIA.
    Means Liberate doesn't it?

Maybe Cuba or Monserrat.

5. medusanegrita

Ratings:
    +565
    They need to git while the gitnis good, I don't think we gonna be able to afford many other commonwealths.

I think we are sinking.

6. ShemsuAqa

ShemsuAqa Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +10
    Do you really understand what's going on in the Island of Puerto Rico?

The reason I have to ask is because I am of Puerto Rican decent and unless you have been to the Island and seen what has happened in the last 30 years! You would not comment as you have on Puerto Rico waiting for hand outs!!!!!!!

7. medusanegrita

Ratings:
    +565
    The question is... do I care?

No, I don't.

I don't care who gets a hand out. I'm all for giving folks handouts and relieving them of their financial burden or debt or whatever.

I just think yalls turn is up and we should 'adopt' some other country and give them the same privileges of statehood or commonwealth-hood or whatever. Yall doing good, I think you could function as an independent state pretty good.

Apparently yall feel that way too - because you want to be independent and out from under the US.

Sayanara :wave:

Love the movie Salsa btw. I use to crush on Robbie Rosa. back when he was in Menudo (that's chitlin soup - right?) Cecelia Cruz is excellent. Maybe I'll visit one day. I hear it's a beautiful island. But crowded.

8. bientempo

bientempo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Dominican Republic
    Ratings:
    +165
    I'm from the next island west and they apparently don't understand that this happens about every few years. And the majority always keeps the status quo. At least so far. Maybe this year will be different.

http://www.essortment.com/all/puertoricansta_rdla.htm

Oh and by the way medusanegrita
    Celia Cruz was Cuban and Salsa is a Cuban Dance. If you want boriqua(Puerto Rician) try Jalo, Mark Anthony, or watch West Side Story. Oh and also Calle 13. Aventura is Dominican, an Shakira is columbian.

9. medusanegrita

Ratings:
    +565
    I know a lil' bit about Celia. I checked out a little background on her when I watched part of the movie 'The Buena Vista Social Club' and when I did a a quiz on musical fusions that paired her and Dionne Warwick in a version of 'Do you know the Way to San Jose.'

But she was in that movie, Salsa, and that movie kinda dealt with Rosa's desire to go to PR. That's why I made the connection.

Never heard of Calle 13. Might check that out. Thanks.

I thought the majority in PR wanted independence?
    Are you saying the majority wants to stay a commonwealth? Why? Are they scared of having to take care of themselves all the sudden?

10. bientempo

bientempo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Dominican Republic
    Ratings:
    +165
    Read the link pros and cons, You thought wrong why should they give up a good deal. . And if they do go independent your drug cost will be going up as their big money maker is pharmaceuticals. Almost if not all of the American drug companys have their labs and production there.

Again http://www.essortment.com/all/puertoricansta_rdla.htm