Black People : Bill Cosby on Responsibility

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Kannte, May 22, 2004.

1. Kannte

Kannte Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    "Bill Cosby took aim at blacks who don't take responsibility for their economic status, blame police for incarcerations and teach their kids poor speaking habits.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal. These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids – $500 sneakers for what? And won't spend $200 for 'Hooked on Phonics.'

"They're standing on the corner and they can't speak English. I can't even talk the way these people talk: 'Why you ain't,' 'Where you is' ... And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk. And then I heard the father talk. ... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. ... You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth!"

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38565

2. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    I gotta give The Cos props, we so afraid to give constructive criticism to our own people and make a lot of excuses for each other. We gotta stop the dumbing down of our race.

3. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    I

have to agree with some of the things Bill Cosby said. He didn't say all blacks don't take responsibility, but some and I see that everyday. I know there are certain situations that may keep you from growing economically. I myself am a single mother of 4. All their needs I am responsible for. I even take my 2 year old and now 5 year old to work with me beacuse I can no longer afford childcare. For several years now I've wanted to go back to school and finish college so that I can do better for my children. Since so much responsibility is on me, I feel like there's no way for school to happen now. I desire better, but am stuck with my responsibilities and my husbands responsibilities as well.

It's true some people just don't care, and wont even try to grow financially. I know women who have been on welfare for years and they are fine with how things are. They are teaching their children the same lazy habits.

We have to be careful of what we say around or children. How we act, what we do because they are watching. Me and my husband had to get an understanding with our first child. His mother curses, and her father curses, so naturally he curses. I did not want that in front of my children. He saw nothing wrong with it but that's one of the downfalls about this cycle, if you been taught wrong from an ealy age, you pass that wrong right along to your kids, and so on. Yeah they may hear it on the streets or where ever, but as long as YOU the parent are teaching them the right way, they will always remember what is right.

I was so hurt to see this young black girl teaching her young son...not even 1 yet to "be HARD". She had an older son and would let the baby punch the older son in the face so he could learn to fight. He couldn't say his ABC's but had a mean left hook already...smh I couldn't do nothin but pray and smh. I thought to myself yeah he will be Hard alright. Hard headed and doin Hard time.

We jus have to do better as parents and as a people.

4. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56

I strongly agree with you (isn't that a miracle? :) ) on the fact that we are very sensitive as a people when it comes to constructive criticism. Thus, things simply get further "out of hand". Then we when see that we should obviously began to start doing something about it (like the way black are portray in the media and entertainment arena), it is almost too difficult to push the tidal wave back short of a major boycott of some kind...which do work by the way...if you work IT.

5. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Many community colleges have day care programs Nita. In addition they also offer grants for single parents...you might want to check in on this.

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Hello Family,

I'd like to encourage you all to read our very own, Dear Beloved Chief Elder Osiris's article, regarding Mr. Cosby's comments. You can find it at the link below:

Bill Cosby, "Poor Blacks Can't Speak English"
    http://www.destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25963

:heart:

Destee

7. Sekhemu

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

Hi Destee, I read your reply, However I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. :)

8. AfroBoricuaRoni

AfroBoricuaRoni Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    well :eek:/

I just feel that while some of his remarks were unrealistic, there were a few that were true. We all know he's not speaking on the facts, he's totally basing this on his opinion.

His views reflect those of many upper class Black people. They looked down upon the lower class as if they were responsible for their situation.

Like I always say, you can never understand another persons struggle. I don't understand how poeple can be quick to say the first thing that comes to mind without trying to understand BOTH sides.

I think that it would have been better for him to remember that those he spoke so candidly about were his brothers and sisters and, instead of critiquing them, spoke on how we can use the oppotunities brought on by the Brown vs. Board of Education case to help elevate our people.

**And how come he can pinpoint poor Blacks that supposedly "can't speak english" and totally disregard the White immigrants who come here and make a truckload of money who can't speak english as well? Whose side is he on anyway? What was his motives for making the point he made?

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Brother Sekhemu ... have you read the rules lately? Disagreeing with Destee is not allowed ... :wink:

It's all good Brother, that's the beauty of this community, that we can live together peacefully, even when we disagree.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

10. Sekhemu

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    What is unrealistic about pointing out that a large measure of our people do not place an emphasis on education. Look at the legacy of a man and woman before you taking the lease path of resistance.

I think he spoke to the segment of our people that requires the greatest wake up call.

And unlike most black middle class people, the Cosbys have put there money where there is. Like I said earlier. education is not on the front burner anymore among our people like it used to be.

I can relate to Bill Cosby's roots, like him I was raised in the projects. Even though both my parents were educators. Educators were the Griots of our people to point the way to expansion of the mind and intellectual capitol.

As a little personal footnote. Last week I was on the bus and a little boy kept kicking the back of my chair. So I turn around and look at him, his parent sitting to the left gives me a look like, don't you dare say anything about him kicking your chair!

Classic example of the problem with our people not being responsible, just on a micro-cosmic level