Bill Cosby is wrong for what he said...

JCsChild03

REGISTERED MEMBER
Apr 1, 2004
Did anyone watch the O'Reilly Factor last night? The talked about Bill Cosby on PBS with Tavis Smiley. Bill Cosby said that Black poor people are bad parents and need to help their children get an education. He's wrong for singling Black poor people out like that. I'm poor. My daughter and all of the rest of the less fortunate children in my family are very educated and bright. I think that all of America is not educated enough including White people. What some Black people don't understand is that there are just as many White people on welfare as Blacks. Most of those white welfare workers used to be on welfare themselves.

JCsChild03 said:
Black poor people are bad parents and need to help their children get an education. QUOTE]

I didn't see it, but if he said these very words, then thats a stereotype if you ask me.

1: Singling out a group of people "Black people". I believe there's no such word as "black people" in a real serious formal setting. African American is more appropriate, I think.

2: Singling out class status, "Poor". "Less fortunate families" could've been used maybe instead.

Overall it sounds like this interview made him look bad and offended many in the African American community.

Lucky said:
JCsChild03 said:
Black poor people are bad parents and need to help their children get an education. QUOTE]

I didn't see it, but if he said these very words, then thats a stereotype if you ask me.

1: Singling out a group of people "Black people". I believe there's no such word as "black people" in a real serious formal setting. African American is more appropriate, I think.

2: Singling out class status, "Poor". "Less fortunate families" could've been used maybe instead.

Overall it sounds like this interview made him look bad and offended many in the African American community.

Did he say all poor black people? I don't think Cosby is so insensitive and misguided to believe that all poor of anything are bad parents. Like I said in another thread, none of us know him. So be careful to take what a person says out of context

MrBlak said:
Sounds like that guy is "losing it".....that statement cannot be made of one economic group only....it is on a case by case basis you gotta say those things. You can even speak on trends, but not generalize like that.

There is some truth in what he said and it applied to many black people. I've seen it myself - blacks who care more for bling bling, having expensive cars, sneakers, etc., and wouldn't take care of the important things in life such as getting books for their kids or making sure they were properly clothed and fed.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back