Bill Cosby is wrong for what he said...

Discussion in 'Black Parenting' started by JCsChild03, Jun 2, 2004.

1. JCsChild03

JCsChild03 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Did anyone watch the O'Reilly Factor last night? The talked about Bill Cosby on PBS with Tavis Smiley. Bill Cosby said that Black poor people are bad parents and need to help their children get an education. He's wrong for singling Black poor people out like that. I'm poor. My daughter and all of the rest of the less fortunate children in my family are very educated and bright. I think that all of America is not educated enough including White people. What some Black people don't understand is that there are just as many White people on welfare as Blacks. Most of those white welfare workers used to be on welfare themselves.

2. Lucky

Lucky Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4

3. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

4. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    Sounds like that guy is "losing it".....that statement cannot be made of one economic group only....it is on a case by case basis you gotta say those things. You can even speak on trends, but not generalize like that.

5. vj57

vj57 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    There is some truth in what he said and it applied to many black people. I've seen it myself - blacks who care more for bling bling, having expensive cars, sneakers, etc., and wouldn't take care of the important things in life such as getting books for their kids or making sure they were properly clothed and fed.

6. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I believe that he could have said it a little better than he did, but the fact is there are too many poor black parents willing to buy $50.00 sneakers for a 2 yr old child. I also know people like this. More than a few case at that. People who barley make ends meet but they have the nerve to look down on shoestores like Payless. Talk bad when you suggest that they get some much needed clothing for their child at a place like Target. Then they run to Footlocker and buy shoes for a 2 yr old that will grow out of them before they know it. That's not every poor black family of course, but I think that there are many that have that mindset. I agree that there are as many whites on welfare and are equally bad parents (no black kids shooting up schools). If you've ever been on welfare you've noticed that there are indeed many white people on it along with black and hispanic. Maybe he was trying to get a fire lit under his own people. He probably wasn't trying to just single out us black folk....I don't think. He seems better than that.

7. vj57

vj57 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    My daughter swore that she would get beat up for wearing shoes from Payless. I just laughed at her and purchased them just the same. But let me tell you this...now that she's on her own, she will RUN to Dollar Discount, Dollar General or Family Dollar stores in a NY minute! She has no children, but she's experiencing rent, utilities, cable, etc. and grumbles about it. Yeah, welcome to Life 101, kid!

I agree that Bill was "lighting some fires" in his statement. And I'm aware of the welfare situation with white folks. Hard times are hitting us all and with GM and Chrysler (in my area) laying off, people of ALL races will be affected and the welfare lines will increase.

But my faith and trust in God has kept me employed and taking care of my two children over the years. I didn't purchase cheap clothing but learned to hit the big department stores when they had sales. I would pay about $30 for a winter coat AFTER the holidays and get it many sizes big for my son so he could have it the next winter.

This is one of our strengths as black people: the positive ones will NOT crumble when hard times come. When my former employer sold out, we ALL were laid off. The white folks were depressed, hateful, and stressed out. Many black folks had Plan B in effect; so when they were laid off, they were able to just go immediately into another job. I was one of them. Stayed home for two months to clean house and rest and got a job at the end of December 2001.
    White people will be soooo upset about layoffs. They hear a rumor and they go crazy! Look at how many of them commit suicide or kill their families and themselves!

ALL the black folks I knew from the old company are gainfully employed. So we do rise above adversity. And that is why we have to make sure we spend our money wisely and stop trying to keep up with the Joneses!

I can't afford a Lex, Benz or BMW, so I will keep my Toyota (smile).

8. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34

That's very true. I learned from my mother also to think for myself. She never tried to buy us more than she could afford and she looked for sales and bargains. Now that I am on my own I have adopted her style of shopping and i am a whole less stressed than alot of my friends. I learned to do without certain things, so now it's not a big thing. Don't get me wrong, my mother provided beautifully for us, but she did it in a smart way. It's funny what tricks you'll pick up when the money for bills is coming out of your own pocket.

9. stepup

stepup Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    As mom always says guilty conscious needs no accusing. In other words if he is not talking ABOUT you then stop complaining. The FACT is there are many bad aspects of the black family and it seems it is not getting any better.

Instead of talking about what we can do to address this MAJOR problem, we pick on the negative aspect of the comment as if he said OUR name on the television. Why do WE only look at it as if he attacked me or dissed me?

**** look at the facts and look around you, the black family is losing a battle that is the MOST important thing.

10. Kokojiiin

Kokojiiin New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    God Bless Bill Cosby!!!!!!!!

Bill Cosby WAS RIGHT ON POINT WITH EVERYTHING HE HAD TO SAY!!! How can you get a good paying job in America speaking that "street crap"?? I too have a problem when a black person calls another black the "n" word. Why is it considered as being O.K. when a black calls you that, but when a WHITE PERSON calls you that, hot tempers then escalates! What's the difference? NONE if you ask me. Look at MOST of our young kids today. Listening to that RAP CRAP, cap on backwards, half of their butt showing, pants on backwards and from what some people tell me since I am in the Navy stationed in Italy is that some kids even go to school wearing "BANDAIDS"!!! Is wearing BANDAIDS a fashion back there now? Good grief!! Looking to Jesse Jackson is not going to solve our problem. Looking to Al Sharpton is not going to solve our problem. These multimillionaire "CROOKS" make their money keeping the black man down!! (Read SHAKEDOWN by Kenneth Timmerman). If the American black man was successful and profitable in America, both of these clowns would be out of a job!! THE ONLY WAY THAT WE AS A PEOPLE CAN EVER SOLVE OUR PROBLEM IS BY TURNING THE MIRROR AROUND TO OURSELFS, AND TO START BEING ACCOUNTABLE AND RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OURSELFS AND TO OUR FAMILIES AND MOST IMPORTANTLY TO GOD!!! Stop crying and whining what the white man has did to us and to START DOING SOMETHING FOR OURSELFS NOW!! The white man is not holding you down!!! WE HOLD OUR OWN SELFS DOWN!!!! 70% of black babies in America are born out of wedlock. Where's the responsibility?? Is the white man to blame for that too?? It's extremely refreshing to hear the truth sometimes, instead of "ALWAYS" having to listen to that "sorrowful self-pity" all the time. HANG IN THERE BILL!!! YOU GOT A BIG SUPPORTER IN ME!! CIAO from Italy. :shades: