Black People : Bill Cosby adding salt to wounded black New Orlean Katrina victims

dustyelbow

REGISTERED MEMBER
Oct 25, 2005
COSBY CARRIES SOAP BOX TO NEW ORLEANS: Comedian tells blacks to leave crime element out of rebuilding efforts.

*Entertainer Bill Cosby was in New Orleans Saturday urging its black population to rebuild the city without the pervasive culture of crime that existed before Hurricane Katrina washed everything away.

Cosby, known for his controversial criticism of some working class African Americans, said the city needed to make sure that the "wound" of crime would not be reopened and allowed to fester.

"It's painful, but we can't cleanse ourselves unless we look at the wound," Cosby said at a rally headed by black leaders in front of the city's convention center. "Ladies and gentlemen, you had the highest murder rate, unto each other. You were dealing drugs to each other. You were impregnating our 13-, 12-, 11-year-old children. What kind of a village is that?"

Other speakers, including civil rights activists Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, inevitably turned their attention to the recent decision by a judge not to delay the April 22 local elections so that evacuees – most of whom are African American – can be assured access to the polls.

Jackson said evacuees should be allowed to vote in "satellite" polling places outside the state, just as Iraqi and Mexican expatriates have cast ballots from the United States in elections in their home countries.

"If we in fact can use this technology for Mexican-Americans and Mexico, then we ought to," Jackson said. "If we can use this technology for Iraqi-Americans in America to Baghdad, then we ought to. We can use the same technology for New Orleanians, wherever they are in America."

Voting stations will be available at 10 sites in Louisiana outside of New Orleans, but state officials have said casting ballots outside the state is prohibited.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
As a fool, I am glad I did not agree with him the first time and now this time.

Black people I wish could operate independantly from "others" in the US but we dont. That has to be considered. But Cosby thinks we can do it while he tells "others".

Yeah, Bill is right on this one. New Orleans was out of control, and just because they were devestated by the flood doesn't mean they don't need to hear that. What sense would it make to rebuild that city in the same manner as it was before the hurricane. That would be a classic example of people not wanting to hear the truth. New Orleans might have been a landmark U.S. city, but it was also a very violent place and people need to face that fact.

I also think Cosby is right this time. Do you really think many would want to move back to N/O the way it was. I think a lot have made a better life elsewhere and wont go back. From what I have heard it would not take a lot for thier new place to be better.
There are a lot of good Blacks that deserve to at the very least, live in a safe place.
This would be a great time to change N/O like Cosby said and make it a better place. Also would be a good time to vote in new city officals and Police that wont adbandon them in thier time of need.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back