Black People : Bill Cosby adding salt to wounded black New Orlean Katrina victims

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by dustyelbow, Apr 5, 2006.

1. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    COSBY CARRIES SOAP BOX TO NEW ORLEANS: Comedian tells blacks to leave crime element out of rebuilding efforts.

*Entertainer Bill Cosby was in New Orleans Saturday urging its black population to rebuild the city without the pervasive culture of crime that existed before Hurricane Katrina washed everything away.

Cosby, known for his controversial criticism of some working class African Americans, said the city needed to make sure that the "wound" of crime would not be reopened and allowed to fester.

"It's painful, but we can't cleanse ourselves unless we look at the wound," Cosby said at a rally headed by black leaders in front of the city's convention center. "Ladies and gentlemen, you had the highest murder rate, unto each other. You were dealing drugs to each other. You were impregnating our 13-, 12-, 11-year-old children. What kind of a village is that?"

Other speakers, including civil rights activists Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, inevitably turned their attention to the recent decision by a judge not to delay the April 22 local elections so that evacuees – most of whom are African American – can be assured access to the polls.

Jackson said evacuees should be allowed to vote in "satellite" polling places outside the state, just as Iraqi and Mexican expatriates have cast ballots from the United States in elections in their home countries.

"If we in fact can use this technology for Mexican-Americans and Mexico, then we ought to," Jackson said. "If we can use this technology for Iraqi-Americans in America to Baghdad, then we ought to. We can use the same technology for New Orleanians, wherever they are in America."

Voting stations will be available at 10 sites in Louisiana outside of New Orleans, but state officials have said casting ballots outside the state is prohibited.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As a fool, I am glad I did not agree with him the first time and now this time.

Black people I wish could operate independantly from "others" in the US but we dont. That has to be considered. But Cosby thinks we can do it while he tells "others".

2. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    bill cosby...

cosby's heart in the right place,but he's been eatin too many puddin pops if he thinks that black on black crime is gonna go down because of rebuilding[i applaud what he's saying]but there's always gonna be black on black crime.

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    What he saying means a lot , if only people listen
    Black on Black crime need to stop and somebody need to voice it .

4. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Yeah, Bill is right on this one. New Orleans was out of control, and just because they were devestated by the flood doesn't mean they don't need to hear that. What sense would it make to rebuild that city in the same manner as it was before the hurricane. That would be a classic example of people not wanting to hear the truth. New Orleans might have been a landmark U.S. city, but it was also a very violent place and people need to face that fact.

5. Steve69

Steve69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    I also think Cosby is right this time. Do you really think many would want to move back to N/O the way it was. I think a lot have made a better life elsewhere and wont go back. From what I have heard it would not take a lot for thier new place to be better.
    There are a lot of good Blacks that deserve to at the very least, live in a safe place.
    This would be a great time to change N/O like Cosby said and make it a better place. Also would be a good time to vote in new city officals and Police that wont adbandon them in thier time of need.

6. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Black-on-black crime needs to be stopped, but is this the appropriate venue to be discussing these types of things? When you've lost all your family and all your property, you're thinking about the then and there... not about things like this.

If Bill Cosby really wants to discuss the ills of blacks AND offer solutions on how to resolve those ills, he needs to form gatherings with that purpose in mind. Right now he's just spouting off the mouth during times that are not proper. The primary focus for New Orleanians need to be finding ways on how to restructure their lives.. no different than any other race that has dealt with a natural diaster.

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    what is it that compels cosby to speak?
    with all his baggage, why can't he show some class and shut up?
    i don't have a problem with the message but with the messenger.
    how can you tell blacks to abandon crime when YOU are charged with a serious crime yourself?

8. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    After reviewing the information, with all his good intentions, is he really addressing the issues of crimes as a whole or is he just addressing crimes that are done by Blacks.

If it is the latter, although I understand his concerns, I also understand the he is helping to keep the stereotypical views of Black people alive and thriving. I know we have issues we need to address and clean up, but truth be told, we are the minority contributor to them, but the major ones being prosecuted for them. Just like his alleged charge, do he believe that justice would have prevailed if he didn't have the financial support to back himself up? I believe he would have been another black man added into the stereotypical crime data.

9. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    Like I mention before black people in New Orleans have to operate in a box while ruthless white can be anywhere at anytime. Bill isnt addressing this one.

More brutality allegations lodged against New Orleans police
    Posted 4/5/2006 7:06 PM

Photos
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://images.usatoday.com/news/_photos/2006/04/05/pratt-large.jpg
    By Bill Haber, AP
    Jonie Pratt, wife of a 10-year veteran of the New Orleans Police Department, says she was beaten by police officers when they pulled her over for allegedly running a stop sign.

Robert Davis
    AP
    http://images.usatoday.com/news/_photos/2006/04/05/davis-1-mug.jpg
    Probe of brutality allegations in the New Orleans' police department comes less than a week after former officers were indicted on felonies in the French Quarter beating of Davis, a retired teacher.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — New Orleans' police department, its image already suffering in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, is investigating new allegations of brutality: claims that three white officers beat up the wife of a black officer this week.

The probe comes less than a week after two former officers — both white — were indicted on felonies in the French Quarter beating of a black retired teacher, violence caught by an Associated Press news crew covering the storm's aftermath in October. Two FBI agents seen helping to restrain the man were cleared of wrongdoing Wednesday, the bureau said.

On Wednesday, Jonie Pratt had a black eye, a swollen forehead and a brace on her fractured left wrist. Pratt's mother-in-law, Dulcie Scott, said the injuries were inflicted after police pulled Pratt over, claiming she ran a stop sign.

Pratt is the wife of Desmond Pratt, a 10-year veteran of the police department, and sister of officer Nancy Parker, a three-year member of the force.

"It's my understanding that one of the officers spoke the word 'black' during the incident," said Lt. Simon Hargrove, president of the Black Organization of Police. "Why would a person do that if race wasn't involved?"

The police department said in statement Wednesday that it is investigating and that the officers have been reassigned in the meantime. Their names were not released.

The local NAACP is calling for a federal investigation. "We have a problem with this kind of thing that went back before Katrina," said Danatus King, president of the New Orleans chapter.

The FBI said it is conducting a preliminary inquiry to determine whether the case warrants further investigation.

Pratt was charged with flight from an officer, battery, resisting arrest, running a stop sign and making an illegal turn.

The Pratts refused to discuss the matter, but Scott said Pratt was returning from visiting her sick father in Baton Rouge early Tuesday when police said she ran a stop sign about two blocks from her house. The woman drove to her house in a middle-class area of the city before pulling over.

"I saw an officer pull Jonie out of the car by her hair," said Scott, who was baby-sitting her grandchildren at the couple's house. "He was swearing at her and pounding her into the car. I said, 'Stop that, that's Officer Pratt's wife.'"

Scott said the officer twisted Pratt's arms behind her and sprayed Mace in her face. She said that two more white officers arrived and that the three shoved the 5-foot-2 Pratt to the ground and knelt on her back, and an officer kicked her in the head.

The white officers refused to believe that Pratt, a schoolteacher on leave since Katrina, lived in the house she claimed was hers, Scott said.

"It's a nice area, and I think they meant a black family wouldn't live there," Scott said.

Pratt was released from the handcuffs after several black officers showed up, Scott said. "It turned into this real black-white situation between the police," Scott said. "All the white officers on one side, the black officers on the other."

In Katrina's aftermath, New Orleans police officers were accused of abandoning their posts, stealing cars and looting stores.
    Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While Bill Cosby enjoys free MOVEMENT due to fame, black New Orlean people not only have to deal with REBUILDING EFFORTS which does not include them A CRIME ITSELF but a CITY EFFORT is questioning their existence in certain AREAS of the city.

Yeap BLACK NEW ORLEAN are the only criminal minded people in NEW ORLEANS before and after Katrina.

Bill Cosby thinks 'black' people are INDEPENDENT and can close the GATE onto themselves while every else is FREE to enter and exit without QUESTION.

As a fool, I really WISH we were INDEPENDENT but were NOT. Its the UNITED States of America here. For better or for worse.

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    I love your analysis, sister Purple... Bill seems to talk at lot without doing much thinking, or much analysis... If he does only a minimal amount of that, he will conclude that African people committ crimes for the very same reasons other folks committ crimes, and that's because of poverty and deprivation... People who've been well-educated, and have good, well-paying jobs, don't commit street crimes of the nature seen in NOLA, or on the streets of other major cities... I don't hear Bill telling the economic gentry of that city that they gots to get on the ball in educating the uneducated, and providing them with jobs, if they wanna see an end to the madness and mayhem....

Quiet as it is kept, every single ethnic group that entered upon these shores, engaged in criminal enterprises to make a dollar, and keep their families fed... African people's crimes are magnified and highlighted, while others are touted as such wonderful, hard-working, folks... NO ONE has worked harder for less than the Black People of these United States... None of these folk share-cropped, and basically lived under slavery and peonage as have our people... Bill got a PH.d from Temple University... Did they find his Ph.d in an old ******* jack box???? The man is flat stupid for the statements that come from his so-called educated mouth - and educated FOOL!!!

Peace!
    Isaiah