Black Relationships : Biggest Issues in Black relationships

Reunion

There have been some excellent points made here, and I think if brothers sincerely seek an understanding of women and how they choose men, they would be wise to heed the words of Riada and Sanaiah25, as well as jgyknowledge (flashy men win the flashy women that the non-flashy men desire/covet--excellent point). Someone else made the excellent point earlier that many times one of the parties of a relationship is not willing to do the work it takes to keep a relationship together once it has been obtained. All the discussion about "dope boys" is over my head, because I'm no where near those types of circles. How about expanding your horizons outside of the little box those types move inside?

As a woman who has learned from past mistakes in relationships, I've learned to measure a prospective mate on two criteria, and two criteria only. 1. What comes out of his mouth/his mentality. 2. His resume. Simply put, if he talks a lot of foolishness, lacks substance or just sounds ignorant, he is disqualified. If he has a history of doing nothing in life, or any type of negative history that didn't change 360 degrees at least three years prior to our meeting, he is disqualified. And please don't get it twisted. By "resume," I am not referring to what company he works for/has worked for or what figures are on his paychecks. Such is irrelevant. What has he contributed to the betterment of himself, black families, the black community, and hence the black nation and world?

All this talk about women wanting a man who "has something" sounds fishy to me. I'm not saying it is o.k. to sniff around for money, but I suspect that many if not most of the women who are pigeonholed as materialistic or moneygrubbers are being incorrectly portrayed. Women who are ambitious and accomplished SHOULD choose men who are ambitious and accomplished, which has little to do with a bank account, but everything to do with balance/harmony/equity and growth potential in a relationship. It just so happens that for some women, tangible items are the evidence of ambition and accomplishment--though we know that there is more to it than meets the eye.

This leads me to my basic answer to the question of the thread. Biggest issues in black relationships: what keeps us from maintaining them? A lack of balance is the biggest issue. IMO, men oftentimes tend to go after women they perceive as their superior. At some point into the relationship, the man begins to feel resentment and insecurity, so either tries to be controlling or demeaning or both, and the relationship begins to crumble. I'm just commenting from my own point of view--based on patterns I've identified--and I obviously can not speak for the male side.

In order for black male-black female relationships to work and flourish--and I agree 100% that we are at a critical hour in which this is urgently needed--we must begin to choose mates who complement us and balance us, and who bring to the table a comparable measure of what we bring. We must choose mates whose commitment and sincerity matches our own, and whose vision for the relationship is clear, mutual and uncompromising.

jamesfrmphilly said:
i don't perceive anyone as my superior..............:slobber:
I sincerely hope that is true. None of us is above or below the next person, though there may be some trait we see in someone of the opposite sex, which we perceive as superior. For example, some men look for the most subjectively physically attractive mate they can find. Yet, they are not the most physically attractive mate the object of their attention can find, and they know this. They might overcompensate by obsessing with their own appearance or by trying to "compete" with their chosen mate in various ways. That type of pathology harms the relationship. I'm only using physical appearance here as a hypothetical example, not as THE example.

One of the biggest issues I hear Black women talking about that leads to dissatisfaction with their mate is that he doesn't like do the variety of things she likes to do. Often when they first got together, they did like similar things, but usually she feels her interests have grown whereas his have not.

Now, she likes to travel, go out to eat in a variety of places, join and be active in a community organization where they can meet people to network with, go to art shows, seek out different experiences, and so on. These women say their men don't want to do much aside from come home and eat, drink, watch tv, sex, with the occasional cookout or party thrown in. So he wants to stay at home a lot and she wants to go out with him more.

If they have children, the woman tends to stay at home, but she gets wrapped up with the children because she's not interested in what the man is interested in and pretty soon, they start arguing about stupid stuff because the real issues cannot be resolved. If they also have other issues like money and sex issues, the situation gets worse and the anger piles up.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back