Brother AACOOLDRE : BIG MOMA'S House/Black Mammy ?

AACOOLDRE

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jul 26, 2001
Michigan
Occupation
Teacher
Big Moma’s House
Recently I went to the movie show with my ex-girlfriend to see Martin Lawrence starring in Big Moma’s House 2. If I hadn’t taken an American literature class it would have been hard for me to weed out the fact that Mr. Lawrence was playing a 21 first century Aunt Jemeia. Lawrence plays a undercover female maid working for a rich white family. The first clue to tip me off was the name of the maid was phonetically very similar sounding to a former Hollywood actress Hattie McDaniel. McDaniel, “Speaking roles were largely limited to maids before and after her Academy Award-wining performance in Gone with the Wind” (Young, 2006). The white man in the family Lawrence was working was involved in treasonable espionage for corrupted business firms because his family lives were threaten with death. The binary opposition to Lawrence family was the polar opposite. Lawrence just took a two-week vacation so that he could be with his 9 month pregnant wife. But soon as he learned of a new case he took his two-weeks off to work in white peoples house and protect them from harm at the expense of his own family. The folklore surrounding the concept of an Aunt Jemia is a black female maid working in the kitchen of white people and not being able to be concerned about her own children and family. The extreme representation of this is a black child being eaten up by a crocodile because his mother was unable to supervise her own children being preoccupied working for white folks. There was even an incident where Martin, wearing a bullet proof vest, dive in front of the white male head of household to protect his life. The movie was unbalanced because it never produced a scene where Big Moma protected her own family therefore being a racist stereotype.

References
Young, M. (2006, February 19).Various views of Black entertainment history. The
Jackson Citizen Patriot p. F-7

AACOOLDRE said:
Big Moma’s House
Recently I went to the movie show with my ex-girlfriend to see Martin Lawrence starring in Big Moma’s House 2. If I hadn’t taken an American literature class it would have been hard for me to weed out the fact that Mr. Lawrence was playing a 21 first century Aunt Jemeia. Lawrence plays a undercover female maid working for a rich white family. The first clue to tip me off was the name of the maid was phonetically very similar sounding to a former Hollywood actress Hattie McDaniel. McDaniel, “Speaking roles were largely limited to maids before and after her Academy Award-wining performance in Gone with the Wind” (Young, 2006). The white man in the family Lawrence was working was involved in treasonable espionage for corrupted business firms because his family lives were threaten with death. The binary opposition to Lawrence family was the polar opposite. Lawrence just took a two-week vacation so that he could be with his 9 month pregnant wife. But soon as he learned of a new case he took his two-weeks off to work in white peoples house and protect them from harm at the expense of his own family. The folklore surrounding the concept of an Aunt Jemia is a black female maid working in the kitchen of white people and not being able to be concerned about her own children and family. The extreme representation of this is a black child being eaten up by a crocodile because his mother was unable to supervise her own children being preoccupied working for white folks. There was even an incident where Martin, wearing a bullet proof vest, dive in front of the white male head of household to protect his life. The movie was unbalanced because it never produced a scene where Big Moma protected her own family therefore being a racist stereotype.

References
Young, M. (2006, February 19).Various views of Black entertainment history. The
Jackson Citizen Patriot p. F-7

WHAT'S NEW??
:look:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back