Spoken Word : Bi-Racial Hair

Discussion in 'Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On!' started by Feather, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Feather

Feather Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +412
  2. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Don't believe the hype sister. There is no such thing as Bi-racial hair. Our hair quality or texture is different depending on the environment in which we live in. There are Afrakans with blond hair, kinky hair, straight hair and everything in between and these existed with us long before there was a devil anywhere on the earth!!

3. Feather

Feather Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +412
    :)

4. SlickBeast

SlickBeast Well-Known Member MEMBER

Australia
    Programmer/Game developer
    Ratings:
    +361
    I was watching this video on youtube, then other videos on biracial topics came to my attention. I was shocked to read how racist some of biracial people can be towards blacks. I'm particular shocked considering I, myself, is a creoleof mixed ancestry. I thought everyone in the West that has some measure of black ancestry automatically associate themselves with blacks. This is very strange to me. I guess biracial people must choose black, non-blacks or neutrality. How do you deal with a brother who thinks he is white when you think you are black?

5. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382

Dr. Clarke does an excellent expose on this subject that he addresses as "the bastard child", whereby he states that it is they who have the greatest problem in terms of "where their allegiance lies at" and states that this has been a major problem among us as a people. I'm going to find the video and post it.

6. SlickBeast

SlickBeast Well-Known Member MEMBER

Australia
    Programmer/Game developer
    Ratings:
    +361
    I think this is not as much of a problem when you are exposed to a predominantly white society. In such society it becomes obvious to the biracial person that he/she is not white in that society. The person has no choice but to accept, embrace his/her "blackness". I think as you grow and read about African people and their struggle, the person will subconsciously align himself/herself with the underdog.
    In a creole society (with its tremendous racial diversity), racism against blacks is actually common. I've known some who refer to blacks as "they" in conversations with me and somehow, I've always felt that "they" also includes me and in my confusion I remained quiet (I was younger). However since I was born I've always known I'm black perhaps because my siblings are lighter skinned than me. Seriously, I think biracials/mixed race are somehow of a wild card. But on whatever side they are, they'll always tend to be more fanatical, Malcolm X for example.

7. Proverbs31Woman

Proverbs31Woman Be kinder than necessary! MEMBER

Ratings:
    +877