Black Spirituality Religion : Beyond Ritual: Rethinking the Role of Patriarchy in African Traditional Religions

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Ishefa, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Ishefa

Ishefa Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +32
    In reading the article Beyond Ritual: Rethinking the Role of Patriarchy in African Traditional Religions http://www.mamiwata.com/news.html I often wondered if our view of patriarchy as it exists in contemporary African culture is indigenous to it, or was it a foreign import along with so much which has destroyed Africa over the centuries. Black women "standing behind their men" while he built our kingdoms, is riddled with so much of what we have taken to be her place, when history is revealing more and more that our scholars might have overlooked or failed to see just how different and crucial her role was in shaping the development of Africa civilization, religion and culture. I wonder with us being so bogged down with unearthing our ancient past from the tombs of white supremacy, might we have overlooked something we dare not discuss? I am not trying to start a war; lord knows we have enough on our plates. I am just curious if anyone else see an inherent flaw with Africa's current cultural system of patriarchy and the abject conditions that African women live in today?

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

Ishefa,

The point you make: I am not trying to start a war; is a very valid one, nevertheless it is exactly what centers around this subject. Take a look at a very recent development, which may explain why, at least so far, many haven’t responded here:

http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57949

And oh by the way, my friendship request awaits your up or down decision, normally the request goes to your e-mail address provided. Take care Ishefa.

3. phynxofkemet

phynxofkemet Well-Known Member MEMBER

child care provider
    Ratings:
    +73
    Welcome Sister

I appreciate your post and the subject you dare to raise; unfortunately the role of gender is not a comfortable area for many in our community, and anything that hints of feminism will divert the focus back towards Cauasian womben. I contend that there is an imbalance, an unnatural tendency to glorify the Kingdoms & focus on when Black men ruled the world; rather than taking affirmative action towards acknowledgment of patriarchy and it's obvious fallibility.

In another thread discussing domestic violence and abuse; where you might expect to generate open, supportive discussion there is but one man to step forward and champion the issue. Many others consider it a waste of time, a divisionary topic, or a way to justify misogyny.

Please check out my last post where I refer to the motherland and it's current domestic problems between the sexes.

Welcome to Destee, and again great post!

http://destee.com/forums/showpost.php?p=575105&postcount=308

4. ru2religious

ru2religious Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,891
    Both system are with grave flaws but both systems have been around before white Euro. There have always been matriarchal and patriarchal societies in all of Africa. It's terrible that most of the attention is centered around men and to a lot of us it is very uncomfortable based on years of social mental abuse.

I'm personally for a balanced society throwing away the primarily patriarchal or matriarchal because they both didn't work which is why the situation and status of 'brown' peoples around the globe have been utterly destroyed. The undercover chauvinist yell matriarchal in the face of our sistas while living a patriarchal lifestyle at home. Then there's the sistas who are feminist because of the pains they've suffered at the hands of a patriarchal society especially at home or what they've seen from their mother and father...

We must get over genderism and the feeling of superiority especially amongst our bruthas, but it is also becoming more aggressive amongst our sistas. I just kind of kick back and watch how we make comparison based on gender pushing for ways to prove superiority. This is what will take brown folks all the way out to the point where we become extinct here in America. We fight over light-skin - dark-skin, male - female, control or be controlled, etc ...

This is none sense at the highest level but I have to say, because we are living in it, the patriarchal is way out of line, just like it was when women ruled the world. They like men didn't see the importance of the opposite gender until the men stood up and fought for their independence and all that is happening now is that the women are simply trying to make the pendulum swing back toward their direction. I think I've read on here or some other place where women are starting to devalue men when this is impossible for both sexes to do. Yet this will take a collective effort to bring the brown woman and man to their highest level of spiritual consciousness. Without a balanced social structure amongst the people, a spiritual death is inevitable.

Peace and Blessings