Black Entertainment : beyonce too black and too Ghetto for sports Illustrated readers

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by dandan, Feb 17, 2007.

1. dandan

dandan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    beyonce too black and too Ghetto for sports Illustrated readers

"Outraged Sports Illustrated readers are flooding the SI offices with angry phone calls and emails demanding subscription cancellations. The furor erupted after Sports Illustrated's celebrated annual "Swimsuit Issue" hit the stands with Beyonce on the cover and an inside shot of a smug Kanye West gripping a models derriere.

Angry comments have been posted on this site as well as other blogs and message boards. "Is this the Swimsuit Issue or the Ghetto issue?" read one post. A source inside the SI mail room emailed me to say longtime subscribers are angry. "The calls are nonstop," she wrote. "Some of these guys have been subscribing to Sports Illustrated for years just so they can get the Swimsuit Issue before it hits the stands. This is like blasphemy to most of them who don't know who Beyonce or Kanye are."

A local newspaper reporter who asked not to be identified said, "So many women grew up identifying with the models in the Swimsuit Issue. They don't see themselves in Beyonce. SI has made a mockery of their core demographic with this issue."

So far, SI hasn't commented publicly on the complaints. But insiders say SI is discreetly emailing members of the mainstream media emphasizing the point that the Swimsuit Issue is a "Music Issue". But critics are asking how can it be both? "They should make up their minds," wrote one angry poster on a sports-related board. "Either it's the Swimsuit Issue or the Rap Issue. SI can cancel my subscription!"

http://www.********.org/boards/showthread.php?tid=60

2. torch

torch Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    The question is do we know any of them women on the cover...half the time no...most sports illustrated readers wouldnt mind seeing jessica simpson or paris hilton on there..but they have a problem with beyonce....pathetic...

3. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    What did folks say when Tyra appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated? Some think she's just as ghetto. I guess Bey is too "stacked" for some men's tastes.

4. hiphopolx

hiphopolx Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +209
    Believe me SI did there research. They know Beyonce is the ish with most men across the color spectrum. And all these new sport mags are popping up which is catering to what cats are really feeling 'The Brown Sugar' SI was just sticking to its ppl and taking a lost. SI was for those men who like women who bodies are shaped like under aged girls. As long as they are a certain age no matter how young they look(and most of those models have bodies that barely look like they reached pubity) They can cater to their unhealthy fantasies of being with under aged girls. Plus the pecentage of that core auduience they have is shrinking as we all know. If I was in that core audience I'd be real upset too. I'd feel like the other side is taking over. I could go on but it gets real ugly after that. :lol:

:peace:

5. torch

torch Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    alot of white mature men like tyra banks and beyonce....but yea most SI readers want them skinny 70lbs white girls with no butt or breast...

6. Africana

Africana Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +9
    HaHAHA

Just some people scared their favorite pure white magazine is going to be taken over with black faces. I had a feeling someone was going to complain. :great:

7. African_Prince

African_Prince Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    White boys love Beyonce, she's one of the few Black female celebrities that they will openly lust over. On the contrary, I thought Beyonce was considered 'safe'. I'm surprised

8. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    So now they can stop with the crap about racism being a thing of the past. After this outburst no I'm not going to forget slavery.

Plus, it's really no big deal to me if white men like my body. Polly don't want no ******* anyway.

9. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Beyonce Ghetto??? I thought they chose her cause of her blond hair......

10. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Ghetto to the WM who buy the mag, probably.