Black Entertainment : Beyonce, Halle Berry, even Kerry Washington: Tragic Mulattoes or not???

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Bunmi Doyin, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Bunmi Doyin

Bunmi Doyin Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Well, what do you think? Are these examples of self-hating, light[er] skinned successful women who sold out/sold their souls? What do we think, especially of women like Kerry and Sanna Lathan BLATANTLY expressing their dislike for Black men and preference for dating whites? What do we think of Halle and her "one drop rule" she has placed on her daughter while still seeking out and maintaining relations only with white men?

**see also: my Tumblr blog, BeyonceIsNotATragicMulatto, where I explore interweaving of Oshun's iconography and mythology with Bey's Image and lyrical content**

2. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

I don't really care because it's how the film industry works. I have come to expect as much and no less.

I do believe though that both of Beyonce's parents are African American so even though she is light skinned she does not qualify as a mulatto.

3. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135
    1. Halle married two brothers prior to he recent dalliances

2. None of the females you named would be considered mullatto

3. Please provide quotes on Washington

4. houserunner

houserunner Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Lighter skinned or mullatos are not the only ones guilty of self-hatred. Let's keep it real now.

5. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Your blog is interesting. I'm just not feeling the correlation between Beyonce and Oshun.

I think once the Sasha Fierce character came to the fore that she started using Oshun to channel another force which became stronger with each commercial she did where she increasingly lightened her hair.

6. Black-king

Black-king Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +720
    The self-hatred is a Negroe problem, not skin color.

7. SlickBeast

SlickBeast Well-Known Member MEMBER

Australia
    Programmer/Game developer
    Ratings:
    +361
    You understand a large number of members here are not entirely black and yet they associate themselves with this community. Why are you trying to divide? If a mulatto or full black choose to be with whites that's his business. But you have no right to attack the entire group and create division. If i abide to your logic a-American are not really black. So don't try you stupid white tactics hereally.

8. Each1teach1

Each1teach1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    build up the nation
    Ratings:
    +986

Ahh the tragic mulatto!! There are many walking around these days both famous and not so famous. However self hatred runs so deep these days that theyre arent even just the mulatto anymore, theyre simply tragic negroes!! But to the topic at hand regarding the names you mentioned I dont know much of Kerry Washington or Sanaii please provide references. When it comes to Halle Berry however she does have some tragic mulatto traits. This sister is sufferring some serious hang ups from her relationships with men both black and white. It appeared to me that she ran to the other side thinking the grass was greener and got more than she bargined for with this last cat. That situation is really tragic. But I think her relationships have more to do with the choices she made and less to do with her skin color. However her relationship with hollywood has everything to do with the fact that she is a black woman who happens to be mixed. That is the way hollywood portrays her and thinks of her, just look at the roles shes played; always "black" with the ambiguous exception of the storm character from X-Men. What was really a nod to the tragic mulatto/jezzable in my opinion was the fact that she won an award for disrobing and screwing a white man in a movie where the only thing was clear in the plot(if it had one) was that her husband was on deathrow.

9. Moon Child

Moon Child Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +279
    Greetings Sister!

I felt a powerful urge upon reading your post to share some valuable information and to connect with you with the intention for you share your deep views on these questions. Please allow me to give my perspective, respectively and by all means do "jump" in to share yours, I am always open to growth and can only do so with respectful dialog.

To understand your question... You say "What do you think?" If I understand your question clearly you are asking: 1. What do "we" think of women who are of a lighter hue who may have appeared to sell their souls" and 2. The examples are Kerry Washington and Sanna Lathan?

1. I would love it if you could provide us with some examples of how these two women have "sold" out? Although not a media "freak" I am somewhat aware of Ms. Kerry Washington. She appears with nothing but white men in her roles in Hollywood and she is in a long term relationship with a white man. However, she is of a darker hue. Sanna Lathan to my recollection has not made any comments that have been negative toward or concerning black men in general. She has however, starred in a role depicting a black woman making a different choice in a love/life partner.

2. ( answer above).

Next... Oshun energy interwoven with Beyonce's image. Again although aware but not shackled into the media or the hype it creates with so called "celebrities, I have found Bey's image to be more of a matrix induced energy rather than an African Deities. I work extensively with the Orisha and have never seen any links to Beyonce and this energy. I HAVE however, seen connections or attempts at the Sumerian and Mesopotamian Goddess Inanna-Ishtar the morning and evening star, which represents both the sun, masculine and moon, feminine characteristics. Ishtar is one of the few Goddesses which embody both masculine and feminine traits. Beyonce carries both masculine and feminine traits as well. Feminine= Beyonce and Masculine="Sasha Fierce".

These symbols are more of an Illuminati "support" symbol than Oshun. She is the Goddess of the fertility, WAR, love and sex. I believe that Beyonce displays all of these characteristics in her music, her presence and her image.

Oshun is one of the FEW powerful Goddesses in the nature based spiritual path of Ifa' or Yoruba, which is West African. She is the "Goddess of the Rivers or Goddess of the Sweet waters." She is nurture, she is life (waters) she is the womb, therefore she is fertility. Oshun is also of the marketplace. Hence her love of the metal copper and the fact that copper is a wonderful magic conduit. The marketplace is where she supports women to be fruitful in selling their goods, so she is about women being in a position of high self worth, not necessarily POWER. Oshun is FEMININE in nature and is ruled by the New Moon and Venus. Oshun represents PASSION. Passion is the encourages sexual union for creating LIFE. Oshun is the protectress of CHILDREN. Sexual power is her forte as she knows she is beautiful and takes care to keep herself looking good. Most will say it's vanity and in a negative aspect if you become shallow vanity can happen, but when expressed positively, Oshun's beauty is to attract a partner for CREATION. Beyonce and her well crafted, thought out image holds none of these attributes in my opinion. Everything that Oshun is SUPPORTS the African/black community. Beyonce has displayed in my opinion from the very inception of her career, nothing but support for her rise to ultimate fame and power, she supports nothing within our communities no matter how hard the media (we all know who runs it) tries to convince of otherwise.

Lastly, Oshun motivations creates a foundation and a powerful container for life to flourish, for entertainment via sexual pleasure, the creation of life, which are children, and for women to find positive self esteem in their femininity and beauty, after all this attracts a mate. Oshun is a powerful connector or the vital LIFE FORCE that each women who is willing to tap into her deepest soul (self) can either seed (plant) or find if she is willing to look honestly and then share it with the world.

To comment on your last quote: Beyonce is not "mulatto" both her parents are black. I thought your blog on Tumblir was very interesting.

Ase'

10. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    It's very interesting that the opening piece is limited to female sell-outs; light-skinned female sell-outs at that; Millionaire, media-savvy, light-skinned heterosexual female sell-outs specifically.

Yes, there are certainly millionaire, media-savvy, light-skinned heterosexual female sell-outs ; but that's neither here nor there.

You can find a sell-out of just about every appearance.

The question however isn't who are the sell-outs, let's boycott them; but where are the builders, let's support them.

A lot of us don't know the builders and worse those in the know aren't putting out the dough.

I've spoke to a youth of 14 in Harlem yesterday who has set himself up to make millions in athletics (he was a perfect stranger who asked my party for directions to a residence whom I decided to give directions to life.) I advised, knowing his mentality, that he focused himself on a full scholarship through college. But more importantly, I informed him of Booker T. Washington's covert funding of African institutions and how he ought put aside money, outside of European cognizance, to turn around and promote our independence. I'm almost convinced 9 players out of 10 involved in the NBA or NFL never heard this advice so intelligently put to them when they were fourteen or since despite the huge amount of interactions we have had with these people since their interest in athletics, their signs of potential and their actual riches.

So it remains to be seen what we are doing when the task is so easy to not necessarily prevent a sell-out but encourage a fall-out?

I can be convinced that perhaps Beyonce is a lost cause, bent on self-promotion and perhaps the destruction of our race. But I am unaware at how in today's world where thousands of stars are contacted by millions of fans, how rare is this contact toward anything productive and fruitful?

Is it a sell-out person or a disorganized people?