Black Entertainment : Beyoncé Celebrates Black Women in Intricate Album-Film

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Liberty, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,252
    [​IMG]
    The sixth studio album shows a growing musical range by Beyonce, who performs one song with simple acoustic guitar, but elsewhere goes into hip-hop and electronica (AFP Photo/Robyn Beck)

New York (AFP) - Pop superstar Beyonce released a musically diverse new album in the form of a film as she paid a bold tribute to the perseverance of African American women.

“Lemonade” was advertised only as a special on cable network HBO but, in a move anticipated by her passionate fan base, she dropped an album by the same name in the middle of the broadcast.

The “visual-album” marks the second straight work in which the 34-year-old pop queen has experimented with merging formats – which could also include social media, where “Lemonade” quickly became a top trending topic.

The film, crafted through the album’s songs and verse from the Somali-British poet Warsan Shire against a Southern Gothic backdrop, follows Beyonce’s emotional journey as she tackles infidelity but also the larger experience of African American women.

Read more

https://www.yahoo.com/music/beyonce-celebrates-black-women-intricate-album-film-022424342.html

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    too light weight, couldn't finish watching it......:bye:

3. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Some prefer this over Beyonce...

At least Beyonce is seemingly perceived to be "trying" (whatever it is she is doing), regardless of the motivation or content... but I bet she knows how far she can go with this, better talk to Lauryn Hill.

4. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    I thought it was excellent. Watched it a few times.. completely held me. The music, the lyrics, the cinematography sewn together by the Poetry combined seamlessly into.. what I thought.. was a surprisingly honest.. and beautiful work of Art. It was really well put together. I've been over the just prancing around in a leotard concept for quite a while.. that time has passed in my opinion. It was good to see her go deeper. It also made me understand "Formation" by providing the larger context.

----
    The Script:
    http://genius.com/Beyonce-lemonade-script-annotated

The Poet:

http://genius.com/a/5-things-you-should-know-about-warsan-shire-the-poet-behind-beyonce-s-lemonade

The Director:

http://www.pulsefilms.com/director/kahliljoseph/uk

5. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    I watched the nearly hourly thing (sometimes it was unbearable), and tried to be non-critical of it until the end, which was difficult.

But for what it's worth, I see Beyonce as trying to please too many genres of people.

I think out of the whole, I liked maybe 2, 3 songs (6 Inch, Daddy Lessons, and Freedom), but the packaging was awkward as if it was an attempt to reveal a type of depth, that it really missed in the delivery.

Without the visual imagery it was chaotic, and with it became even more confusing as for what the intent of this was. Attention, coded messages, artistic performance?

Now if Faith Evans or Janelle Monae were to attempt something like this, I would love to compare/contrast the differences in how they expressed the art.

Then you got Wendy Williams creating the "uh oh" moment...

Prince died Thursday April 21, Beyonce released her unannounced/unscheduled album Saturday April 23, two days after.

Does Wendy have a point here?

6. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,252
  7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745