Black Spirituality Religion : Between the Mermaid and the deep blue sea

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Amnat77, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Started having recurrent dreams this year about being at the beach..then a woman comes (she always black...and heavy set) picks me up and throws me in the middle of the ocean... i then find myself deep underneath the ocean trying to swim upwards..i wake up

I have this dream once or twice a week...

It has now progressed to actually being a mermaid and swimming underneath the ocean...last time i actually saw a coffin and i felt their was body in it...i saw my tail and the water was dark green...as swam upwards towards the surface, i felt a dark cloud following me trying to pull me back towards the coffin.

I did not feel afraid...

I'm actually petrified of large bodies of water, and was just learning to swim before i left the Caribbean.

Any takers?

2. gogounited

gogounited Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +358
    I'll give it a whirl...

With the beach being the initial and recurring setting of your dream, perhaps the theme
    has something to do with where earth meets ocean, where water meets land. There is multi-faceted meaning here if this may be the case, given your fear of large bodies of water.

Water is Nu, with it's receptivity as a wet mirrored mass, it's ability to seep into all hidden crevices, as the mother's womb, and for all of it's symbolic meaning which may or may not apply in your recurring dream, that you gather from your own studies into life, spirituality, etc.

That your dream depicts the place where earth and sand meet water (at the beach) is significant. Also that you do this upon the shores of the oceans, than rather the banks of a river or lake, is significant. My novice interpretation is that you are being guided by an ancestor towards the vastness and depth of your soul's womb. As you have progressed, and continue to do so, you've learned to navigate and work with Nu, become familiarized and evolved into a creature who finds it's natural home there, a mermaid of your spiritual ocean.

That you get thrown in and wind up swimming back to the surface, and then you wake up, signifies a struggle between the ancestor, helping you to "go deep" and yourself, who is petrified of large bodies of water in your waking life. Another facet of meaning here is that spiritually, you may be petrified or uncertain of the vastness of that other ocean, the womb of the soul, in darkness and seeming chaos, the mirror where you face yourself unformed.

Your most recent accounts may signify that as you have explored Nu, it is your home. You are becoming "at home" as a mermaid in the ocean of Nu as a medium. You are in your waking life witnessing your evolution, where water meets earth, you can see the results of your manifestation - you grew a tail. You can also "identify" with qualities and attributes of Nu, the green, dark water, nature and all things natural. With this realization however, the raising of consciousness into the subjective state of Nu, is the awareness of a entrophic force, the polar vacuum bent on pulling you back "down" in the other direction, which is signified by the coffin you "knew" was filled with a body or person, and by the dark cloud, pulling on you. Death and life. The soul is buried on earth, so to raise our consciousness, we die to ourselves, like Ausar, and are discovered (a discovery of Self) at the bottom of the ocean, within a coffin.

So to summarize, an ancestor is guiding you deeper into your Self. What you discover there is new, unfamiliar at first, scary perhaps, but you have evolved and have been evolving through Self, so much so that in your physical, waking life you can see the evidence thereof. Power is that place of dynamic between two complementary, yet polarized forces, and in this theme you are being made aware of deep, profundity of power, the nature of it's source, and the dangers that are inherent in the presence of that power. It may also shed light on the evolution of your soul, there is a possibility the woman in the dream is an incarnation of your Self, a past life. There seems to be a central theme involving increased awareness/consciousness, observation, manifestation.

Did you observe your own lack of fear while dreaming? Or did you caution yourself, while dreaming, to not be afraid? Or did your realize upon waking and remembering, that you had not been afraid?

3. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

It sounds as if you are now looking back at what you used to be afraid of...The body in the coffin could represent the death of your fear of large bodies of water.

The woman who throws you in the water could represent a parent or a teacher who always told you that there was nothing to fear about learning to swim...

- the dream will soon go away because you have grown to actually like swimming or large bodies of water....

The green water represents the newness of your thought process in regards to the same..

4. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Well because of my phobia of being underwater,I was surprised and noted my lack of fear ... however as soon as my i observed my mermaid status, i just went with the flow because i knew mermaids can breathe underwater.

Also, i felt strong pull towards the coffin, as if i was actually supposed to swim towards it rather than upwards....

Thanks for the analysis, I'm going to do some research on the goddess Nu.

5. gogounited

United States
    Ratings:
    +358
    Interesting, so while you were dreaming, you observed and took note of your own lack of fear in response to what for you is normally a fear-inducing environment or scenario. You transcended your emotion consciously. I think the coffin has significance regarding the resurrection of Ausar, resurrection of your Self, but that's just how I attempt to understand it. Have you read the Metu Neter, Amnat77?

6. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622

Yes I've read the metu neter, and i do know a bit about Egyptian cosmology, but i don't feel a connection as i do to other African systems...

Interestingly, I am more drawn to native American spirituality than i am Kemetian...i really got into Native American traditions while doing research on my other recurrent dreams of crocodiles (lol..yeah)...I'm thinking the crocodile might be my totem animal:?:

7. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Oh so Nu is not the same as the goddess Nuit?hmm thanks penny...

8. gogounited

United States
    Ratings:
    +358
    I'm not sure, but as best I can understand it Nu is the watery mass, the womb of the Great Mother.There are so many different interpretations of the various dieties, I'm sure someone here can relate the same goddess of Kemetian cosmology to one of the Yorubas, Ifa, or even Native Americans. That would be perhaps the Great Grandmother spider who spins the web of Creation. For me, these are universal archetypes that resonate similar meanings and modalities.

As the dreamer, the symbols and images used in your dream will speak volumes more about these archetypes to you, than what I am limited to offering.

9. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    From the looks of it, I would surmise that the woman is an ancestor or the embodiment of your egungun who died during the maafa, and are currently reaching out to you in ernest.

Perhaps an ancestral shrine would be in order,

the mermaid might be a sign from Olokun

10. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    thanks Bro. Sekhemu, someone else has said this to me...this might be the reason why i feel a certain connection to the Caribbean aswell.