Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
BET still has a 'Mess' even with title change

Wednesday, July 25, 2007
By Monica Haynes, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Hot Ghetto Mess -- n. A tacky or obnoxious person, place or thing; deplorable behavior; former name of BET's controversial new show airing tonight at 10:30.

Will a "Hot Ghetto Mess" by any other name still smell like moldy stereotypes?

Those who've been turning up the heat on BET over its new show are claiming a small victory in getting the name changed to something a bit more palatable. However, they're still ready to kick that flame up a notch if the half-hour video clip program, hosted by comedian Charlie Murphy, lives up to their low expectations.

Now called "We've Got to Do Better," the show, formerly known as "Hot Ghetto Mess," has been billed as "an entertaining, tongue-in-cheek examination of the good, the bad and the ugly of black popular culture." Advance copies of the show have not been provided to television critics.

Click Here To Read Entire Article

---

BET’S ‘HOT GHETTO MESS’ BACKFIRES: Two advertisers pull out of premiere episode after backlash.

*At least two companies have pulled their advertising from the premiere episode of BET’s upcoming series “Hot Ghetto Mess” in response to critics who say the show perpetuates racial stereotypes.

State Farm Insurance Cos. and the Home Depot have released statements confirming their request that ads be removed from the television show and from a Web site promoting the series.

"We have reviewed the content of this program, which we just heard about, and we will not be airing any State Farm advertising during this program on BET," a State Farm spokesman wrote.

BET would not specify which advertisers dropped out, but released the following statement: "A few of our clients have asked to move to other programming dayparts, and we simply accommodated their request."

“Hot Ghetto Mess” is adapted from the popular Web site HotGhettoMess.com, which features photos and video footage of random African Americans engaged in behavior or dressed in attire considered embarrassing and socially unacceptable.

Critics like 25-year-old Chicago college student Latrice Janine believe BET’s intentions will be lost on its core audience. She launched an online petition against the show that has collected more than 2,000 signatures.

---

Clarification: Sponsorship of BET's 'Hot Ghetto Mess'

The Associated Press
Article Launched: 07/23/2007 01:52:35 PM PDT

LOS ANGELES—In stories July 10 and July 15 about BET's "Hot Ghetto Mess" series, The Associated Press reported State Farm Insurance Cos., Home Depot and other companies asked the network to drop their ads from the debut episode of the show, which critics say promotes racial stereotypes.

The references were based on a report in The Hollywood Reporter trade publication attributed to unnamed BET sources.

State Farm and Home Depot subsequently told the AP, however, they never intended to purchase ads in the July 25 show or any other episode of the series. The companies did confirm they pulled their ads from BET's Web site to avoid any impression of sponsorship or endorsement of the show.

A spokeswoman for BET confirmed that the companies pulled ads from the site, but she had no comment on the companies' claims they had never planned to advertise on "HGM." The spokeswoman did say, however, that other unnamed advertisers requested their spots be pulled from the series and placed elsewhere on the BET schedule.

The Hollywood Reporter said it stands by its story that State Farm and Home Depot pulled their ads from "HGM's" debut show.

:heart:

Destee

I dont mind the show...

freed_slave said:
at least its better than D L Hugley's new show. Did you see the first episode?

Now Socially Offensive Behavior is definitely questionable but the Hot Ghetto Mess I think it is good to showcase how ignorant people can be. Also they don't limit it to black people anyway. This is a country who goes to other countries and kills their people...uh hello!!! Now they wanna rave about this?! Pick your battles accordingly. We have worse issues in our own country: hunger, no health insurance, unemployment. Come on this show is merely showcasing personal choices. No one forced them to feed into stereotypes. Face it stereotypes exist and I see them every single day. I wish their cameras were at the program that I am involved so they can see "our beautiful Black sistahs". Wasting their lives away with no education, countless babies, endless bags of hot CHEETOS, AND JUNGLE JUICE!!! Yes it is a real drink and its cheap belly water and the best color?? You guessed it, red!

This is not a stereotype, I live in Memphis, TN and Tn is the last state in the union to implement a permanent welfare program. I work with these women on a daily basis and I am utterly disappointed with the way we are portrayed and not because someone said we were that way but that is what we display. It's disgusting and unfortunate that a show had to be made but it's TRUTH!

We got to do better

I had just watched the show last night and enjoyed it, because it is a real eye opener to us all. Whats wrong with showcasing the truth? I think its a great way of identifying such problems in our culture to make people think twice about their actions. Its all about self reflection and for those of us that do participate in such behaviors and who dont know any better.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back