Black People : BET (Very disappointing)

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Aisha, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Aisha

Aisha Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    BET has so much potential to be big in the African American communities but they would rather shoe videos and comedy. For as long as they have been on air don't you think they would have black soaps, tv shows, own movie/tv award shows or educational viewing for our children? MTV started off as just a music channel also and look how far they have come. BET could even make their own movies. Am I the only one that is disappointed with this station?

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Do black people still watch BET? I thought it was now the station for the education of white youth? Look...the program philosophy has not changed in 20+ years, and I'm sure it will not now. Robert Johnson was a man with a vision when he found BET 20 some years ago. Unfortunately for Black viewers that vision was limited, and no amount or encouragement/criticism could make his vision grow. I remember in the late 80s/early 90s BET use to criticize the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) about their lack of black shows...yet they never provided the alternative. Indeed despite having the venue to do show, BET never sought to fill the gap that major Networks left (choosing instead to add music show after music show). This told me all I needed to know about the network, and it is why I haven't watched it in over 10 years! Now that the ownership has changed from black hands to white corporations...there will certainly be no positive change. BET is black exploitation television....it stopped being "entertaining" some time ago!

3. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    I agree Bro. Pan. Black people shouldn't look to BET to be educated or enlightened but to be exploited. It's not a network that is produced by us nor fully for us. It only depicts us in a very small and narrow way and seldom provides any information that is uplifting or broad.

But let's look at this issue from a CREATIVE standpoint. If you had the power to design an African/African American broadcasting network, what would it look like?

Queenie :spinstar:

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I would mimic Latino networks like Telemundo NN Queen. TV has a dual purpose to entertain and inform. Telemunda has soap operas, sitcoms, news programs, sports, etc. They provide information that is essential to the Latino community (green cards, visas, work authorization, home ownership, english speaking program, etc). A network for African Americans can have no less. I have no problem with BET having music shows, my complaint is that it only has music shows (and BET was never advertised as a music station). Indeed BET's idea of variety is Bobby Jones Gospel on Sunday! A black network must have original sitcoms, news programs (morning, afternoon, and night), sports (boxing shows, black college teams, etc), talk shows, etc.

5. bigtown

bigtown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    BET HAS ALWAYS BEEN A DISAPPOINTMENT. INSTEAD OF SHOWING BLACK PEOPLE AS A DIVERSE GROUP ALL IT'S DONE IS PROMOTE THE SAME STEREOTYPES THAT THE OTHER NETWORKS HAVE PROMOTED. EXCEPT THEY USED BLACK PEOPLE TO DO IT. IT WILL ONLY GET WORSE, BECAUSE IT'S A WHITE OWNED STATION NOW. AS SOON AS IT BECAME WHITE OWNED, MOST OF THE INTELLIGENT SHOWS WERE CANNED. BET IS A TOTAL WASTE.
    I HAVE ONLY THREE WORDS TO SAY ABOUT THAT BET CRAP. WATCH T.V. ONE. CHECK YOUR LOCAL LISTINGS, IT'S A MUCH BETTER ALTERNATIVE FOLKS.

THAT'S MY "BIG" OPINION.

6. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863

I agree Brother Pan, we need to reflect our diversity in the type of programming offered on a genuine network for Africans/African Americans around the world. We don't NEED a Black network that merely mimics what we see promoted on most networks created by white people in America or anywhere else.

We need not only those programs designed to entertain us, but also programs that document our very long history and gives us a broad range of information that reflects the cultural diversity within our "race". All Black people aren't Christians, for example. We don't all eat the same foods or dress the same way. We live all over the world and do many different things and live different lifestyles. We need to see the variety among us and the intensity of our commitment to survive and thrive, very often in hostile environments.

Not only should such a network give us cultural history, but it most definitely should address the political issues we face as Black people by describing the many different forms of racism throughout the world. It should expose all racists and racist views and their strategies designed to oppress Black people. So, yes, a controversial network subject to close scrutiny I'm sure, by the coalition of governments who want to oppress us, but we need to do something to bring us together and move us forward in our struggle.

Michael Moore managed to get "their" attention. Why can't Spike Lee and others like him join the bandwagon and do likewise to show how Blacks are constantly under attack? Yeah, I know some will say that a Black man can't do what a white man can do and get away with it but did Malcolm think like that? Did Martin? Did the BPP care about that in their formative years? Yes, most of these men are dead, but we're all going to die anyway and not of old age.

Anyway, that's off the topic.... :)

Queenie :spinstar:

7. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    You are definately NOT the only one dissappointed in BET. They could have branched out and done more. We're showing ourselves as nothing more than rappers and funny negroes. The spanish channels branched out and have many more stations...showing many different types or programs. Why do we stand idle? I have relatives that watch BET faithfully and it sickens me because I'm sure alot of black homes stay tuned it. Even when I bring up this arguement they take the attitude like "it's only television". That's our problem. We think everything is just as it seems instead of digging deeper. It feeds stereotypes. It shows ignorance 24-7. I wouldn't care if it got canceled today. Actually, I'd love for it to..along with UPN. :court:

8. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    I haven't watched BET in about 3 or 4 years...I stopped watching it when all of my favorite shows were cancelled. I don't really enjoy music videos and it seemed like that was the entire focus of the network.

They need to add more news, informational tidbits about black people and our communities, or maybe some black cooks, (sorry I love the food channel) and educational programs.

Why does it have to be all about music when BET stands for Black Entertainment Television...

9. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    BET IS STR8 UP WAK!

this is a topic very near my heart. that is one of my ultimate goals to own my own station one day. i would model my blk station after espn, i think this station is fresh, original, and keeps people watching. when their not nit picking on blk atheletes. or maby model it after hbo, another station which i believe does some good work. hell real sports with bryant gumble has done more for blk ppl than bet! i agree queen any blk station in my eyes should be deeply political in its programming.

i believe this 4 all reasons mentioned by the forumists <(is that a word? well it is now) the sickest thing i c with bet is its sheer disrespect 4 hip hop. hip hop started as, and still is a verry political music genre. one of the last bastions of pure blackness, however on bamboozled entertainment television only the corniest, no talent having lame musicians get play. this station is working with major record labels to promote this garbage.

i can barely watch this channel, i catch the news sometimes. this station is sad, i mean these bible weilding greedy fools would rather yell and scream about jesus coming to save us, then take their cameras around the world and the u.s. and save our selves.

10. Aisha

Aisha Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Whew! Thank God I am not the only one.
    Also like Therious I would like to own my own station one day. When I was in High school my passion was to become a screenwriter and work for BET but that dream has completely died (working for BET). I am tired of the videos and Comic View, that is not what we are all about and other nationalities will never know until we have a station that has everything. Why can't our wealthy African American Actors, Politicians, Athletes etc get together to help make this happen? It would be the perfect investment. Brother Ashante BET did have a few talk shows and they canceled them and I think all of that happened when Viacom purchased them. I think that Viacom meant for all of this to happen and Bob Johnson just sits there and let this station go to hell, he should be kicked for it.

Aisha