Black History Culture : Best Preserved African Heritage in the Americas - Suriname

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Aluku, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Aluku

Aluku Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +135
    Hey guys I need your help!

I just wanted to share a new site I'm starting about the best preserved African American Heritage in the new world, the Americas.

Due to many slave revolts in Suriname the African culture survived unchanged since the mid 1600's
    There are a lot of resources available to us, but unfortunately they are mostly in Dutch.

There are many sources about the battles, art, music, life as it was etc. etc.

I need your help in finding out what people would most be interested to learn about so I can focus my translation efforts in those subjects.

Here is a link to the site: https://surinameafricanheritage.wordpress.com/

Here are two videos just to give you an idea About the maroons in Suriname. It is an account of Ghanaian brother who followed a Surinamese biographer bak to Suriname and was surprised that he could still communicate with some of the maroon elders:

Part 1

Part 2

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081

First, wb, good seeing you again, Aluku ... Focusing on what you ask, from my perspective, it would be expanding on what little we know about the Surinamese; for example, is this information below accurate?

Surinamese Creoles form 15.7% of the population. They are the mixed descendants of West African slaves and Europeans (mostly Dutch).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suriname

3. Aluku

United States
    Ratings:
    +135

The 15.7% is not exactly accurate. Basically there are a lot of people with African heritage that may not be classified as creole, but still identify as creole. In short, the total black population, creole, maroon & african descent is the most numerous followed by the East Indians.

However the racial lines are not divided as they are in America. For example everybody in Suriname identify as Surinamese and are all very proud of it.

This theme, pride in Suriname, is a very common theme in music.

Maybe this post will help explaining this sentiment:

https://surinameafricanheritage.wordpress.com/2015/01/13/suriname-history-background/

Most groups in Suriname where at some point during the colonial period exploited by the Dutch colonials. We all had to come together in the beginning of the 20th to fight this, mostly politically.

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081

Thanks ... Are there any numbers backing up the Black population exceeding East Indians?

5. Aluku

United States
    Ratings:
    +135
    Yes. But it is in Dutch.

If you are trying to get an idea of the political make-up, all presidents as far as I can remember have been of African descent.

Here is the relevant breakdown:

Creole: 84,933

Afro Surinamese: 3,923

Maroon: 117,567

East Indian: 148,443

Further you have mixed, Javanese, Chinese, Original Indians, Brazilians, Hatians, in all totalling a little over 500,000 with another estimated 500,000 living in Holland(emigrated since 1970's).

http://unstats.un.org/unsd/demographic/sources/census/2010_PHC/Suriname/SUR-Census2012-vol1.pdf

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081

Thank you very much for supplying the numbers, Dutch or otherwise; enough of the 107 page complimentary document loaded for me to view the numbers:

SURINAME CENSUS 2012
    Volume I

It may not be a bad idea to consider converting the indigenous language over to English (if not mistaken, its possible to do on the Internet); especially since you are teaching primarily African-Americans, as long as you are here on Destee.com ...

7. Aluku

United States
    Ratings:
    +135
    Yeah I thought so too. But the automatic translations leave the texts unreadable. Which is why I'm trying to see where to focus my efforts. Like I said there is tons of info but it's mostly dutch, in the resource link of my site I listed the resources which are available in English for anyone interested.

BTW I'm doing this not to say we are better. Far from it. There has not been any country in the New World were the slaves didn't rise up. It just so happened that in Suriname the opportunities were unique, and culture managed to survive for centuries.

Nevertheless we all came from the same places and part of your history can be found in our history and vice versa.

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081

Understood (got it) ... Keep up the good work, any informed help that over turns the revisionist his-story of our saga should be welcomed by the Black community ...