Computers - Software Hardware : Best Of Software List - Stuff For Everybody

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by anAfrican, Mar 5, 2012.

1. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    pre-researching an issue i'll be looking into for somebody tomorrow and ran across this "best of" software list. thought somebody might find something of use to them.

("pre-researching", in this instance, means that i haven't a clue what the problem is other than "it did an update in the middle of the night [somebody else set it; i didn't] and now it won't start". not sure if it's 32 or 64, not sure which "flavor" of vista it is, not even sure if there is a recovery partition, don't have any vista tools on hand at all. so i can't really be actually "researching" the problem since i don't know exactly what the problem is, yet; but i'm sure to fix it!!)

2. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Vista is garbage. Windows 7 ain't too shabby. Windows XP is still a solid OS.
    Ubuntu is a great OS. A friend of mine is all about Mint Linux. Debian as well as CentOS are solid OSes.

Stick with 64-bit OSes and hardware. 32-bit is certainly on its way out.

Virtualization: VMware, Citrix XenServer, open-source Xen, Hyper-V, and Virtualbox. Not really a big fan of Hyper-V. Virtualization is awesome !!

Cloud computing is the next big thing. Quickly coming down the turnpike. I'm not crazy about public clouds, but private clouds intrigue me.

VDI (Virtual Desktop Infrastructure) should be huge as well. Running just one OS at a time is kind of a bummer. I like to run multiple OSes simultaneously.

Portable applications: Love 'em!!!

3. JohnWillsq

JohnWillsq Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Vista is garbage.