Destee Network : Best African American Web Sites?

Discussion in 'Destee Network :' started by Destee, Oct 4, 2001.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Hello Everyone,

I'd love to know what you think are some of the best African American web sites based on content and/or design.

Please share the URL and a few words why you think it's one of the best (its content and/or design).

This is a great way to let those site owners know you appreciate them being out here while at the same time helping their sites stay alive, by encouraging others to visit. You are welcome to post your own site as well.

Thanks,

Destee

2. wjohnson

wjohnson New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Best Black Sites

If I had to say which one I liked the most, I would say the BlackWebPortal.com. The design is fresh, and the knowledge that flows from the site is enormous. Next up I like BlackFacts.com, a very cool history site that gives you the history facts. Third, I like BlackVoices.com for their very cool design. Fourth, I would pick Oprah.com because her site is just about people.

All of the sites above are very well organized and allow the user to explore, explore and explore!

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Welcome ~ Welcome ~ Welcome

Hello WJohnson :wave:

Thanks for joining us and sharing your favorite/best African American web sites with me. I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of editing your posts by making the site names a link. It made it easier for me to visit the sites and I'm sure it will for others too.

It's been a while since I've been to any of the sites mentioned above, but can see they all have lots of good information. I'll be visiting them more often now that they're right here "in the house." :)

Thank you again for responding to this post, I really thought I was going to get a zero on it :toast: There's nothing I enjoy more than talking about web sites ... well ... not a lot of things I enjoy more.

Please make yourself at home.

:heart:

Destee

4. wjohnson

Ratings:
    +0
    No problem. I really take my time to examine all web sites. I have used the BlackWebPortal.com to get most of my material. They seem to have the most info on black sites. I tried to use Nielsen's stuff, but they have their market picks (the people who can afford to pay) already.

I used to be a heavy NetNoir.com user, but they really stopped updating the site and the strategy was out their. In fact, Ellington sold NetNoir to Chapman of Baltimore, MD for $400,000 this past August.

But, I follow the trek of black cyberspace, and I hope we survive.

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Hi WJohnson, sorry it's taken so long for me to respond. I was aware of the Netnoir sale, as a matter of fact I was reading an article last night about it, as well as a few comments some folk had made. I don't know if you're aware of the site urbanexpose.com but it seems to tell the stories from a slightly different perspective than is expected. In addition, it is a very well developed web site. As much as I'm online, I'm surprised at the sites that I still seem to be finding for the first time. This is one of them. At least I don't remember being there before. Anyway, you may want to check them out too.

Keep sharing and I'll do the same.

6. wjohnson

Ratings:
    +0
    Tuned in to UrbanExpose

Thanks for the UrbanExpose lead! I have started participating in a few forums over there. I will also participate in a few over here. My goal in starting threads is to figure out what makes the black consumer tick, what makes them so one-sided, and how do we get the one-sidedness on our side. Its nearly 2001 and its time to take the blinders off!

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Hi WJohnson ... my pleasure sharing the urbanexpose link, glad you liked it. I joined too but haven't posted anything yet. Are you using the same username over there? I'll look for you.

What do you mean black folk are so one-sided? Patronizing white owned businesses / web sites, rather than black owned? Just wondering.

8. wjohnson

Ratings:
    +0
    Urban Expose is Pretty Weak

In the beginning I said the UE was fairly good, but the site has very little in the way of traffic, and it has the same site visitors just wishing for the OLD days of the Internet. And yes, I am using the same username. However, I have also joined the Forums at the BlackWebPortal.com. This forum is alive and thriving and you can find me posted over there as MktMaster. The BlackWebPortal.com has a very cool business environment.

I have also been checking out NetNoir to see what is kicking over there and they are also trying to launch a business initiative. I will be watching this business battle to see how far it goes. If they are competitive BWP Business vs. NetNoir Business, it could be very good for black businesses online.

NetNoir's Business Pages: NetNoir Small Business

BlackWebPortal's Business Pages:
    BlackWebPortal Pages

9. nubonyx

nubonyx New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Check out Nubonyx.com

Would like any feedback about our website nubonyx.com. We are an Internet Service Provider with a unique refer a friend program. Our visual chat area is a different slant on chatting.

10. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Welcome Nubonyx!

:wave: Welcome :wave:

Thanks for joining us. I've been to your site (www.nubonyx.com) a few times, great design, great service. So nice to see us doing great things out here. I wish you much success. Please feel free to make a separate post in this category regarding your site (it may get lost in this one). Also, add a link to your web site in your profile, that way, every time you post, you'll be leaving a link to your site.

I haven't checked out your visual chat yet, I will be doing that soon.

Please make yourself at home.