Black Atheists : Bertrand Russell: Why I Am Not a Christian

Another brilliant contribution was Russell's teapot:

Russell's teapot, sometimes called the celestial teapot or cosmic teapot, is an analogy first coined by the philosopher Bertrand Russell (1872–1970) to illustrate the idea that the philosophic burden of proof lies upon a person making scientificallyunfalsifiable claims rather than shifting the burden of proof to others, specifically in the case of religion. Russell wrote that if he claimed that a teapot were orbiting the Sun somewhere in space between the Earth and Mars, it would be nonsensical for him to expect others not to doubt him on the grounds that they could not prove him wrong. Russell's teapot is still referred to in discussions concerning the existence of God and has drawn some criticism for comparing the unfalsifiability of a teapot to God.

This argument has been used in a lot of different forms to show that if you set up claims a certain way and shift the burden of proof you can make an argument for anything. Some modern examples are Carl Sagan's dragon and Richard Dawkin's great Juju at the bottom of the sea.

I read his book a long, looooooong time ago.

illustrate the idea that the philosophic burden of proof lies upon a person making scientificallyunfalsifiable claims rather than shifting the burden of proof to others, specifically in the case of religion. Russell wrote that if he claimed that a teapot were orbiting the Sun somewhere in space between the Earth and Mars, it would be nonsensical for him to expect others not to doubt him on the grounds that they could not prove him wrong. Russell's teapot is still referred to in discussions concerning the existence of God and has drawn some criticism for comparing the unfalsifiability of a teapot to God.

Never heard of that. A good and fairly simplistic example. Offensive, maybe - but if the point's well-taken? Eh.
I say, parallels are useful.

This argument has been used in a lot of different forms to show that if you set up claims a certain way and shift the burden of proof you can make an argument for anything. Some modern examples are Carl Sagan's dragon and Richard Dawkin's great Juju at the bottom of the sea.

...but how? That's what I never understood.
The 'burden' of proof naturally rests with the one making the claim? <-- Isn't that an unspoken rule?
Why would it be on me? IMO, I don’t have to prove the apparent, because I’m not the one asserting (with 'faith' and, yet...somehow, with 'absolute certainty') that what isn't apparent' actually...is/exists. *shrug* If I told you that there a chupacabra in the woods. Would you ask for proof or believe it?

It's not necessarily about proof, even. I can discuss possibilities. I like spirituality and whatever else. I'm 'open'.
But...these people are always running around...making all of these 'declarations'. Possessing all of this 'intimate knowledge'. Whenever one of these 'secret squirrels' corners me to proselytize/rebuke about my 'lack of faith'...they never do anything but quote a bunch of scriptures --- but how dare I not be convinced! *laugh* In my last dept, I used to get 'rebuked' *laugh* on the regular for this reason alone.... I never even claimed to be an atheist. I was asked. I said a word or two expressing 'doubt' and - what'd I say that for?
That's when I learned to keep my thoughts to myself and...when asked about religious preference?
LIE....
*laugh*

Anyway, converting? Accepting on fai -- c'mon...
I'm like, "...the hell do you want from me? *laugh* You can't even clarify what you believe in. Why are you riding my butt over it?" They're crazed...'specially those in the organized religions.

...and there's a line drawn in the sand, people.
Now - I deeply respect the religious and can definitely understand how some individuals are able to suspend reason or pretend inconsistency out of existence...and with great ease, mind you.
I mean -- once you hit the cliff...and take that first great 'flying leap' in logic over that precipice -- y'know....
It's, uh...well, it's pret-ty much all gonna be small potatoes from that point....*laugh*

Un/fortunately, I...just don't have that gift. I'm not wired that way. What would be required, can't be housed - compatible - within me. I tried...for years.
So...here I am.
Awaiting my 'burning bush' (or any particular religion's equivalent. I'm not picky). *laugh*

Y'know - Mother Teresa claimed to have had a 'religious experience' as a child...and never once again. Interesting.

I like Bertrand Russell, but I wish I would be listening to a reputable black at
Another brilliant contribution was Russell's teapot:

My great Juju lives up the mountain!!;)