Black Sports : Bernard Hopkins vs Jermaine Taylor preview

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by panafrica, Jul 8, 2005.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=1494

2. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    HBO is having a countdown preview to this fight on Saturday night. It should be a great build up to the fight next Saturday.

3. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I'm going to have to pull out my checkbook for this one!

4. oceolo

oceolo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    Although their have been some great fights earlier this year , Hopkins vs Taylor is the one I have most wanted to see. I think as good as Hopkins is he might lose this fight to the younger more hungry Taylor.

5. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I think Hopkins will pull it out, because I don't feel Taylor is balanced enough to take the old man. Basically I think if Hopkins can neutralize Taylor's jab (which he surely concentrated on in the gym), he will break Taylor down. There is also a question of how Taylor will react to being in a tough fight, which he has never been in before. With all that being said, I wouldn't be astonished if Taylor did win. However to win, he has to show something which he hasn't thus far (because he hasn't had to before).

6. oceolo

Ratings:
    +15
    One thing you shouldnt overlook is that Hopkins is 40 years old and he could lose his abilities overnight ,if that happens he definitely will lose . Unlike the other big fights this year I cant really say with conviction who will win, but it should be a great fight.

7. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I agree, can't wait! However I will say one thing, and this is no disrespect to Jermaine Taylor who is a talented fighter (and nice guy). If Taylor wins, I think Hopkins advanced age will be the primary reason. Hopkins has defeated better fighters than Taylor in his earlier years.

8. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    The only way Taylor will win this fight is to kill the will of Hopkins. I don't think he can do that. I don't think he's that hungry to be honest. Don't get me wrong...I think Taylor is going to be a great fighter. But, this one is too much for him. I believe Hopkins has the drive and hunger to go out at the top of his game...where he is number one. He's fought so long and hard to get here and he's a consummate professional. And he knows a lot of tricks. He prepares very well for fights and he's a student of the game. That's just too much for Taylor to overcome. Hopkins will definately point out the flaws in Taylor's skills and take advantage of them.

HOWEVER, punching power nullifies all of that. :lol: In other words, anything can happen in a boxing match.

Another thing, I don't get the sense that Hopkins is getting the accolades that he deserves. I believe he feels he still has to win fights in order to get his due. I know that they make a big deal about the large number of title defenses...but if he loses, it's he's too old all of sudden. I don't think Hopkins wants that. We'll see though.

I pick Hopkins to win the fight.

9. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I also don't think Hopkins gets the credit he deserves, although he gets more now than he ever did! I'm not worried about BH being prepared and in shape. That is something he always does. I also believe he has the perfect game plan. The only question mark is his age. He is slowing down! I know that for a fact, because I have video of several older Bernard Hopkins fights. He is no where near as busy as he used to be. Still I think there is enough left in the tank to handle Jermaine Taylor. Like you, I don't think Taylor is hungry enough. I have the feeling he is soft, that he might fold if he finally gets in a tough fight (which he never has). I might be wrong, but I got a feeling. We'll see next week.

10. oceolo

Ratings:
    +15
    I dont think Taylor is soft at all --Taylor must bring the fight to Hopkins in order to have the advantage in the fight if he doesnt he will probably lose. Something just tells me this isnt going to be Hopkins night.I think Taylor wins in a decision.