Black Sports : Bernard Hopkins vs. Howard Eastman!

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by panafrica, Feb 10, 2005.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Okay now that the Eagles blew Philly's superbowl dreams, it is up to the city's most consistant star to once again deliver. Next Saturday, February 19th, Bernard Hopkins is making the 20th defense of his Middleweight Title! Hopkins already broke the record for the most defenses in middleweight history 4 years ago. He has added to his own history with each fight, and is looking to put the record out of reach with another victory. The opponent is Howard Eastman of England (Guyana). I've never seen him fight, but I hear that he is a decent fighter, really the last legitimate name that Hopkins hasn't faced. All of his fights have been overseas however, and that always raises eyebrows as to how good a fighter really is. Either way this should be a good fight, and I encourage everyone to check it out. This one is on regular HBO!

2. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Fight Hype!

http://www.fightnews.com/courtemanche336.htm

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    I don't think that would happen Hopkins talent will carry him way past 5 rounds
    Hopkins will win this one and continue his streak

4. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I've seen some surprising upsets in my years as a boxing fan. However everyone predicts victory, and Eastmans claims would carry more weight if he didn't lose to William Joppy (who Hopkins & Trinidad manhandled). Eastman did knock Joppy down in that fight though, which does suggest he has good power.

5. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    What round do you think this will go to guys. I haven't heard of Eastman, so I couldn't make a prediction. Hopkins is the man though, so I'm putting my money on him. Is Eastman a legit threat?

6. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Eastman from what I hear is a decent fighter with good skills, which makes him a legit threat. I still don't see him upsetting one of the most consistent fighters in the history of the sport. Here is a list of the most title defenses in boxing:

As you can see Hopkins is already in elite company, one doens't bet against this type of consistency! Most of the fighters on this list ended their long title reigns by retiring, not by being defeated!

7. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    That's impressive. I know Hopkins is great, so I definately wouldn't bet against him. Hopefully he'll have a challenge from this guy. I hope it's a good fight. 20 title defenses...that's amazing. I thought he was going to fight Tito for his 20th. Or even Winky Wright.

8. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I was surprised to see Sven Ottke (one of the lightest punchers in the history of boxing) #3 on this list. He did reign in one of the weakest division in the history of boxing, in a weak era though. Ottke was known for never fighting outside of his native Germany...whenever the going got tough, all he had to do was go the distance, and he would be okay. Going the distance was something Ottke was good at. In 34 fights, he only had 6 knockouts!! If there is anyone on this list who isn't a true great, Ottke is the one.

9. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34

Yeah, that record sucks. What a blimish to have on your record. I bet he brags night and day about being the best pound for pound in history. Hopkins is great though. Man, he looked unbeatable against Trinidad. I didn't see the fight, but I saw clips of it. He looks like he could fight forever. Hopefully he doesn't try to go longer than he's good for and end on a bad note.

10. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    The knockouts on his record sucks, but you do have to respect a fighter for going 34-0 and retiring undefeated. It is rare to call it quits when you are on the top!

I did see the Hopkins-Trinidad fight, and Bernard systematically broke Tito down. It was a classic Hopkins performance. To appreciate Bernard Hopkins is to truly appreciate the art of boxing. Hopkins is not flashy nor is he a devastating KO artist. Hopkins is going to start slow and breakdown his opponent. If the opponent is a good one, then it will take 10-12 rounds to break him down....but eventually Hopkins will do so!