Black Sports : Bernard Hopkins: “I must execute him!”

panafrica

REGISTERED MEMBER
Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
Boxer-promoter Oscar De La Hoya calls Bernard Hopkins “probably the best middleweight in history.” In order to achieve this lofty appellation, Hopkins may well have to tame the young lion and current champion of the division, Jermain “Bad Intentions” Taylor on Saturday in their much-anticipated rematch.

Earlier this year, Taylor captured a controversial 12-round split decision in a tale of two fights. The 26-year-old Taylor outworked his 40-year-old opponent in the first half of the fight, but the wise veteran and long-time division kingpin dominated the later half of the fight.

The man known as “the Executioner” affirms that he will finish Taylor in the rematch. “December 3rd is definitely going to be execution day,” says Hopkins. “I’m undefeated on rematches and I destroy guys the second time around. I destroy them where their careers are in limbo after the second time around.”

“Whatever Jermain Taylor brings to the table, I’ll make sure it backfires on him,” Hopkins said. “Jermain Taylor is in great denial right now. I hope he comes in confident. Being new and edgy saved him the first time. … I’m hoping he believes I’m not a big puncher. … I’m going to sit back and let him run his mouth.”

Hopkins would not discuss the status of his long-time trainer Bouie Fisher, saying he would not delve “into gossip” and insisted that “I didn’t fire nobody.”

He insists his attention is 100% on Jermain Taylor. “The people are coming to see two top athletes; let’s not depreciate the value of a big fight,” he said. “This call [teleconference call with the boxing writers] is about the Jermain Taylor and Bernard Hopkins super fight. We should respect that.”

Hopkins added that “I love Bouie like a father” and “I dedicate this fight to Bouie.” He said he was “in great hands” with Brother Naazim Richardson in his corner.

Hopkins refused to reveal his strategy for the rematch, colorfully adding: “Hannibal didn’t tell the Italian people he was coming through the ocean.”

He did say that “one strategy won’t be to go to the scorecards.” He explained: “I must execute bottom line. I don’t want to have to go into the ring to have to knock a guy out to win. But it is what it is. … I will execute him this time.”

“The only thing that needs to be changed from the first fight is when I get him hurt, I take care of him,” Hopkins said. “When I get him hurt, he is going out.”

He compared Jermain Taylor to Hasim Rahman and Leon Spinks, champions who lost their titles in their first defenses against the men (Lennox Lewis and Muhammad Ali respectively) they fought to win the title. “Jermain Taylor, your 90 days are up,” Hopkins said. “I’m coming to repossess your car.”

One thing is for certain – fight fans will want to see the December 3rd rematch to see if Bernard Hopkins will “execute” the young, talented champion.

http://www.fightnews.com/hudson186.htm

The mark of a champion can come in many forms. Sometimes it's great skill. Sometimes it's strength. Sometimes it's heart. Sometimes, it's the ability to make the necessary adjustments. But, in order to be a true champion...a great champion...you must have all of these. Taylor does not have all of them yet. He really needs to be more flexible in the ring or listen very intently to his corner...which is one thing he does do.

TAYLOR WILL NOT WIN IF HE KEEPS GETTING HIT WITH LEAD RIGHT HANDS LIKE THE ONES THAT HOP WAS THROWING IN THE LATER ROUNDS IN THEIR FIRST FIGHT.

If Taylor fights clever and doesn't try to force it (similar to Tarver in his fight with Roy --- By the way, Roy could have knocked Tarver out. :D ), he can win the fight. If Taylor doesn't make any mistakes, is in good shape and can defend the lead right hand/or overhand rights from Hop, he can win this fight.

But honestly, he's too young to do it. It's too much for him. The moment itself is too much for him I think. But, he'll be a great champion in the future. These are his learning years.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back