Black People : Bennett Delays Speech at UC

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Fine1952, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Fine1952

Fine1952 Happy Winter Solstice MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,782
    Monday, October 3, 2005

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051003/NEWS01/510030344

Bennett delays speech at UC
    Abortion comment raises a furor

By Christy Arnold
    Enquirer staff writer

Former Education Secretary William J. Bennett, under fire for remarks about aborting black children, has canceled a scheduled appearance at the University of Cincinnati this week because of the resulting backlash.

"The current controversy that has arisen around comments I made on my radio show, based on a willful distortion of what I said, will take away from the serious discussion I want to engage in with the students and community at the University of Cincinnati," Bennett said in a statement released Sunday by the UC College Republicans.

The student group was sponsoring Bennett's speech, which was scheduled for Tuesday night.

UC College Democrats planned to protest Bennett's address at the Tangeman University Center after hearing about Bennett's comments Wednesday on his radio show, "Morning in America."

Bennett replied to a caller, who suggested abortions have led to a decrease in tax revenue, by saying:

"I do know that it's true if you wanted to reduce crime, you could - if that were your sole purpose - you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down.

"That would be an impossible, ridiculous and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down. So these far-out, these far-reaching, extensive extrapolations are, I think, tricky."

Bennett also is canceling a reception that Hamilton County Commissioner Phil Heimlich planned Tuesday. Both events, including the reception which 100 to 150 people were expected to attend, were scheduled before last week's radio show episode.

Heimlich said some reporters distorted Bennett's remarks.

"I feel this whole controversy was really not a problem with Dr. Bennett; it was a press problem," Heimlich said.

UC College Republicans and Heimlich plan to reschedule the Bennett events.

Kevin Welch, chairman of UC College Republicans, called the cancellation "disappointing," but said Bennett plans to appear at UC next month.

Welch said he and the UC parent who was paying for the appearance are committed to bringing Bennett to the campus.

"It will be bigger and better," Welch said.

Erich Streckfuss, UC College Democrats president, said he was pleased to hear about the cancellation, but wished his GOP counterparts at the university had stopped the event - not Bennett.

College Democrats plan to protest Bennett's rescheduled appearance.

"We will be there wherever and whenever he comes back to Cincinnati and the campus," Streckfuss said.

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and Democratic leaders criticized Bennett's comments and demanded an apology.

Bennett told Fox News the following day that his remarks were twisted, calling the notion of aborting black babies to reduce crime, "a monstrous idea."

He also issued a statement Friday, trying, once again, to say that he doesn't support the elimination of black babies.

Still, his words attracted criticism from Capitol Hill to the White House, where Bennett served as the education secretary under President Reagan and as the drug czar under former President George H.W. Bush.

"At the very time our country yearns for national unity in the wake of hurricane Katrina, these comments reflect a spirit of hate and division," Rep. Rahm Emanuel, D-Ill., said in a statement.

President Bush also found Bennett's comments inappropriate, according to White House press secretary Scott McClellan.

The Associated Press contributed. E-mail [email protected]

2. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    Thanks for posting this. Bennett put his racist foot in his own mouth. He called for genocide, and if black babies start dying. Close investigations need to be made. Actually this was said at a time when crime is at a low across america. It shocked me he said it and the conservative radio stations are trying to justify his comments.

3. roarin1

roarin1 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +28
    Ahhhh...

The sweet sound of VICTORY.

But if he comes back next month...

I'LL oppose him again there, anywhere, and

from now on. he knew what he was saying....

or, don't "top educator's" have any regard

for social accountability any-longer? This

boy is NO top educator. he's a filthy joke.

Thanx for the info FINE.......

ROARIN......

4. Fine1952

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,782
    Hodee

"He called for genocide, and if black babies start dying. Close investigations need to be made"
    -------------
    Dr. Frances Cress Welsing knew the truth long before Bill Bennett ever spoke of it. She is a black general and child psychologist that every black person should know about. Her book "The Isis Papers" is right on the money.

Dr. Neely Fuller, is another black scholar who speaks the truth. His textbook "The United Independent Compensatory Code/System/Concept for thought, speech and/or action for victims of racism (white supremacy) is a must read.

Just as the media purposefully ignores the "Agenda 21" topic, so are these 2 noteworthy scholars overlooked. Their messages have the propensity to completely wake up a now sleeping black America.

Fine

5. Fine1952

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,782
    Roarin1

Bill Bennett knows the heat is on his tail. I mean that's all I hear black folk talk about. They are completely outraged; which is their right.

He postponed because he is counter waging that our normal 2-week memory's will overlooked his acid racist statements and returned to their normal blank, apathetic state. At which time, he thinks, he can pass thru [already racist] Cincinnati unscathed. From the article written about his delay in plans, it is obvious that the 'Student Democrats' are ready for him rain/shine/sleet/snow/windstorm or hail!

------------

Blacks should not be too shocked however by what he said. It is a sure indication that we, collectively are not paying attention. We must read and stay informed.

I was not shocked to hear these statements of indictment coming from his lips. He just confirmed was has already been spoken about by 3 very great scholars -- a long time ago...!

Dr. Frances Cress Welsing -- "The Isis Papers"
    Dr. Neely Fuller, Jr. -- "The United Independent Compensatory Code/System/Concept for thought, speech and/or action for victims of racism (white supremacy)

and

Dr. Michael Eric Dyson -- "Race Rules"

Fine :bowl:

PS Until we place "fighting for justice" as our 'primary' focus we will continue to hear white racist America/I Am Race spit out her acid racist remarks from time to time.

6. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    We've had Mr Neely Fuller come here to speak with us. We should try to get Dr. Francis Cress Welsing here one night.

Actually, Mr. Fuller spoke to us twice. The Family enjoyed what he had to say. And, I believe that he changed the minds of some of the Family members about race relations in Amerika.