Benin : Benin's Voodoo Children

Listen to the reporters terminology - the catch phrases which demonize this ancient tradition practiced by 30+ million people in Benin, Togo and Ghana alone.

This is the most misunderstood practice/religion on the globe in one of the most euro fought regions on the globe. While it is sensationalized in Hollywood & you can buy scary trinkets in New Orleans.. it's practice is ancient African.. yet we are far to willing to look at this from the euro perspective with an outcry of "barbaric!", automatically dismissing the traditional rites of passage which keep the practice alive - yet at the same time, we want to spiritually "go home" :lol:

I cant speak for this practice in particular, but I understand African rites of passage and their importance to sustaining culture/community. This is the same type of report that has 'stolen' rites of passage of Zulu men - who as adolescents have been 'taken' from their villages to live with their elders and priests away from all distraction, where they are taught particular rituals and need to earn their rites of passage... and eventually circumcised, traditionally, to return home as MEN. Reports like this have missionaries out 10-fold, and their mission is uniform - kill tradition and conform to their ways. the same white reporters who call the Chinese in Africa 'slavemasters' :lol: too rich, I tell you... :lol:

"ooga booga" has got to go!

Vodun is powerful. Vodun is ancient. I am not too concerned with the rituals performed - I am more concerned with the willingness of us to believe it is wrong/barbaric, based on.. what? At who's word? In what tradition? Within whose culture? As much as we'd like to believe "white is right" - it's not ;)

Again, listen to the reporters words.. his agenda is clear. Sometimes that's all it takes to understand the 'purpose' of his message - and it is not to save Vodun children.

:heart:
Zulile

Listen to the reporters terminology - the catch phrases which demonize this ancient tradition practiced by 30+ million people in Benin, Togo and Ghana alone.

This is the most misunderstood practice/religion on the globe in one of the most euro fought regions on the globe. While it is sensationalized in Hollywood & you can buy scary trinkets in New Orleans.. it's practice is ancient African.. yet we are far to willing to look at this from the euro perspective with an outcry of "barbaric!", automatically dismissing the traditional rites of passage which keep the practice alive - yet at the same time, we want to spiritually "go home" :lol:

I cant speak for this practice in particular, but I understand African rites of passage and their importance to sustaining culture/community. This is the same type of report that has 'stolen' rites of passage of Zulu men - who as adolescents have been 'taken' from their villages to live with their elders and priests away from all distraction, where they are taught particular rituals and need to earn their rites of passage... and eventually circumcised, traditionally, to return home as MEN. Reports like this have missionaries out 10-fold, and their mission is uniform - kill tradition and conform to their ways. the same white reporters who call the Chinese in Africa 'slavemasters' :lol: too rich, I tell you... :lol:

"ooga booga" has got to go!

Vodun is powerful. Vodun is ancient. I am not too concerned with the rituals performed - I am more concerned with the willingness of us to believe it is wrong/barbaric, based on.. what? At who's word? In what tradition? Within whose culture? As much as we'd like to believe "white is right" - it's not ;)

Again, listen to the reporters words.. his agenda is clear. Sometimes that's all it takes to understand the 'purpose' of his message - and it is not to save Vodun children.

Zulile
You've summed up my thoughts completely! I was too 'through when they claimed that the Chinese were the new slavemasters in Africa. When in reality China has done more good for Africa than any European in history.

I hear ya Sister Zulile. While I understand what you mean about these rituals being misunderstood and sensationalized, I personally can appreciate the traditional rites of passage. My concerns lies on whether people are forced into these practices, rather than willingly agreeing to participate. Also, according to this reporter, who intentions is suspect, the priest and priestesses are willing to return the children back to their family for a fee. For those who sought the assistance of the priest and priestess knowing the price, shouldn’t be able to renege on their agreement once service is rendered. But for those whom never volunteered,…who children were chosen by voudun…then why the fee falls on the parent to have them initiated or returned back to them? I would say its wrong based on the people who don’t want to be involved in said practices.

In one of the Ancient Mayan rituals, they would use a human sacrifice. Sometimes the chosen initiative would go kicking, screaming, and fighting. Ah Kin Mai would cut the heart out of the alert conscious chosen one. If this Ancient ritual were routinely practiced,( which it probably is) and your child were chosen next against your wishes and your own beliefs, would you be wrong to speak out against it? Or would you just allow it because it is Ancient tradition?

Forget about the white voice for a minute. If the people directly involve speak out against it, does that mean their word holds no weight either? And I’m not talking about one person per se, but perhaps many who may feel powerless.

Although, I may not fully understand all the in between works for choosing an initiative, I do understand there are corrupted people all over the world…in every culture of people. Not everyone who says their practices are spiritually guided, make it so. Not every Ancient practice, one that should be honored or revered in today’s society. And not every priest/priestess have its peoples best interest at heart. In my opinion, it would be foolish not to consider this probability. It would also be foolish to deny it if your not there living it and experiencing it for yourself.

In the traditions that you do know up close and personal, are the initiated willing and supported by their families? Do they also have to pay money to receive their rites? Are there people chosen… people who are forced against their will, but can easily get out of there calling for a monetary fee?

Please do share your understanding of such.

I hear ya Sister Zulile. While I understand what you mean about these rituals being misunderstood and sensationalized, I personally can appreciate the traditional rites of passage. My concerns lies on whether people are forced into these practices, rather than willingly agreeing to participate.

Also, according to this reporter, who intentions is suspect, the priest and priestesses are willing to return the children back to their family for a fee. For those who sought the assistance of the priest and priestess knowing the price, shouldn’t be able to renege on their agreement once service is rendered. But for those whom never volunteered,…who children were chosen by voudun…then why the fee falls on the parent to have them initiated or returned back to them? I would say its wrong based on the people who don’t want to be involved in said practices.
christianity? has no one ever had knowledge of anyone that decided that it wasn't for them only to earn censure from their family/community?

In one of the Ancient Mayan rituals, they would use a human sacrifice. Sometimes the chosen initiative would go kicking, screaming, and fighting. Ah Kin Mai would cut the heart out of the alert conscious chosen one. If this Ancient ritual were routinely practiced,( which it probably is) and your child were chosen next against your wishes and your own beliefs, would you be wrong to speak out against it? Or would you just allow it because it is Ancient tradition?
"this wafer as the body; this wine as the blood"?

Forget about the white voice for a minute. If the people directly involve speak out against it, does that mean their word holds no weight either? And I’m not talking about one person per se, but perhaps many who may feel powerless.
but were there many voices speaking out? or was it only those voices that did speak out that were of sufficient interest to "report"?

Although, I may not fully understand all the in between works for choosing an initiative,[initiate] I do understand there are corrupted people all over the world…in every culture of people. Not everyone who says their practices are spiritually guided, make it so. Not every Ancient practice, one that should be honored or revered in today’s society. And not every priest/priestess have its peoples best interest at heart. In my opinion, it would be foolish not to consider this probability. It would also be foolish to deny it if your not there living it and experiencing it for yourself.
yeah, "corrupted people" even up in the mainstream, accepted, "acceptable" "religions" - how dare somebody take sexual advantage of members of the congregation!?!! oh, but we aren't speaking of those, though, are we? 'scuse!

In the traditions that you do know up close and personal, are the initiated willing and supported by their families? Do they also have to pay money to receive their rites? Are there people chosen… people who are forced against their will, but can easily get out of there calling for a monetary fee?
so called "tithes"/weekly offerings? even to the extent of mailing out a collection envelope (bill) to those that have not been to church in a while?

before saudi arabia began the African slave trade in the 8th century, and imposed their islamic "religion" on us, we did Voudon. but now, the descendants of the Ancient Africans (who now demand that they are "Black"), join in with the desecration of our Ancient Ancestral Traditions. but i guess that would be par for the course.

christianity? has no one ever had knowledge of anyone that decided that it wasn't for them only to earn censure from their family/community?

Yes.

"this wafer as the body; this wine as the blood"?

Okay.

but were there many voices speaking out? or was it only those voices that did speak out that were of sufficient interest to "report"?

You got a point there.

yeah, "corrupted people" even up in the mainstream, accepted, "acceptable" "religions" - how dare somebody take sexual advantage of members of the congregation!?!! oh, but we aren't speaking of those, though, are we? 'scuse!

In fact, I think we did speak about that too.

so called "tithes"/weekly offerings? even to the extent of mailing out a collection envelope (bill) to those that have not been to church in a while?

Yes, but there are also those who do not partake in those events. Those who are not willing and chose not to. They have the option of choice.

before saudi arabia began the African slave trade in the 8th century, and imposed their islamic "religion" on us, we did Voudon. but now, the descendants of the Ancient Africans (who now demand that they are "Black"), join in with the desecration of our Ancient Ancestral Traditions. but i guess that would be par for the course.

And there are those who is watchful of them all. I’m no christian Brother anAfrican. I don't knowingly practice islam traditions either.

When I was a child, Christianity was the path my mother chose. As an adult, I was able to make my own choices and decisions concerning such. Christianity is considered an Ancient tradition to many. It is also a religion. African Traditions are also religions whether you agree or not. It is a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith.

I can not deny that I too, have been a victim of forced traditions and religions. And I now try to view things beyond the tunnel. Sometimes my viewing is flawed, but sometimes I see clearly.

Right now, I see you indirectly trying to discredit me by accusing me of some type of betrayal to my Ancestors. My Ancestors practiced Voudon you say? But what did they practice before that? What was it called? It has had many names over time. And with each name a new principle and practice was added.

It is my right to decide which practice I partake in. And if that makes me not “Black enough, not loyal enough, not smart enough, not conscious enough” in your eyes, or anybody elses eyes, so be it. I choose for me! My path is mines to travel with all the mistakes and consequences to bare. I can just as easily say, some Black people practice the very same ideology as the people they claimed they hate. I can say they call it a different name and don’t realize it's exactly the same thing. But I won’t.

I’ve realized many of us carry some mark of the people that enslaved our Ancestors. Even some of our Brethen in the motherland were affected. Believe it or not, this programing didn't start here in the Americas with our enslaved Ancestors. It started in Africa at a much early period. Possibly in the 8th century or beyond.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back