Black People : BENIN ASKS FORGIVENESS IN SLAVE TRADE...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Aqil, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +114
    By Amy Wold

Reconcilliation between slave-trading Africans and the descendants of slaves is the first step to healing old wounds and opening economic development, the U. S. Ambassador from the African country of Benin told an audience Friday at Southern University.

Benin Ambassador Cyrille Oguin made Baton Rouge the first stop on a tour of several cities in the United States to formally apologize for his country's role in the slave trade that brought Africans to the Americas. "The president of Benin, the people of Benin have asked me to come here and apologize for the government, for the Benin people and for Africa for what we all know happened," Oguin said. "Where our parents were involved in this awful, this terrible, trade."

Oguin said asking for forgiveness - and receiving it - is the first step in reconnecting with "brothers and sisters" who were hurt by slavery. "Today, no one wants to take responsibility," Oguin said. "It's so easy to say white man did it to us, but we share in the responsibility."

The area now known as Benin on the West African coast was a hub of the trans-Atlantic slave trade. The profits were an incentive for African communities to raid each other to kidnap people and sell them to Europeans as slaves.

Oguin said Benin President Mattieu Ke're'kou has made reconciliation a priority. "He knows the damage on our side that came from slaver," Oguin said. "He knows how this robbed our own society at home, how it turned us against each other."

www.noineworleans.org/slavery.html

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    nice insight and much knowledge to read & learn here
    thankz for the link

3. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Just maybe we have to forgive Africans... I'm not there yet; for the meanwhile, I'll leave forgiveness to God.

4. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Reconciliation and Unification is a must. Our Ancestors are crying out to us at this time. I find this of particular importance considering the present plight of my extended family throughout New Orleans especially

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    OK, i'll forgive them.
    they have to promise not to do it again though.

6. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Wow, I never even thought it possible that something like this would happen. I think most black Americans will accept the apology for the simple fact that they didn't know that Africans were involved in the slave trade into the depth that they were. The other portion would find it hard to not forgive because at the end of the whole ordeal their standard of living is horrible. I find it hard to have a grudge against my fellow poe man, especially if they are in a worse shape than I.

Watching pictures or looking at the news about Africa can be depressing to say the least. Most of us have sympathy for them.

7. pdiane

pdiane Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +21
    True Afrakans played a role in our enslavement, but not a huge role, a small role. That role was not going stop the enslavement of or ancestors. We need to be clear that Afrakans, were forced into slavery by white, europeans and they were forced to send their brothers and sisters into slavery as well in most cases.

It is like the Iraqi army today, amerikkka says if you don't join our forces you will be considered our enemies and you know what amerikkka does to its enemies.

Afrakans did not build the boats, come up with idea of chattel slavery, row up on the coast of Afraka and take them to the amerikkkas.

Some may have turned them bretheren over to the white maaaaan voluntarily, but most were forced to. Most feared for their lives, the lives of their families and their village. They weren't stupid. You can't run up against guns with spears.

It also happened during the Jewish holocaust, and I don't see those traitor jews coming over here begging forgiveness from the jews affected by the holocaust.

I think it is okay if the Brother wants to ask for forgiveness but someone needs to get him to understand not to fall in the trap that Afrakans played a huge role in the enslaving Afrakans.

When will we give honor to the Afrakans who fought the white man who was taking their ancestors.

No, the White man and woman enslaved Afrakans. Don't get it twisted!!

8. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    And the Arabs!

9. Kwango_Likemba

Kwango_Likemba Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +11
    Well said Pdiane. Our African ancestors have never been the problem. Africans never had the full responsibility of African Diasporians’ slavery. The white elite is the most wicked and meanest of all!

10. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

Welcome back Sistah Kwango, it's good to see you back again sistah.