Black Money Business Jobs : Benefits Package For a Revolutionary

Discussion in 'Black Money Business Jobs' started by Destee, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Hello Family,

We are currently listening to our Beloved Ancestor Kwame Ture, courtesy of Brother Keita. During the first part of the recording, someone is speaking, introducing Brother Kwame Ture. He talks about our Beloved's illness, how he's not been feeling well, and that there is no insurance included in the benefits package of a revolutionary. He goes on to say that often, there is very little financial support, even from those the revolutionary spends their life fighting for.

Hearing this made me wonder about all those who have gone before us, what did their benefit package consist of?

Are there any revolutionaries, that died rich, with insurance, and benefits and stuff?

As i think on this, The Honorable Elijah Muhammad must have died rich, relatively speaking?

What has been the financial status of our revolutionaries, upon their death?

Do we make fighting for our people, appealing to the masses?

Does this aspect even matter?

:heart:

Destee

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Kwame Ture is speaking on the recording now, and he's sharing how The Honorable Elijah Muhammad provided the entire FOI to him, for his protection.

That's some kinda benefit! Especially during Honorable Elijah Muhammad's day!

Destee

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Sister Blak ... this is the thread i mentioned in chat tonight.

As you see, it got no response ... :(

Destee

4. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Ok.....I missed this one. I will say that it is indeed truly sad that we are quick to support those who work against us or do nothing for us while literally neglecting those who TRULY fight on our behalf. I once knew a sister whose work I'd purchased from a particular site; I communicated with her about it, and to both our surprises, she knew nothing of it. Apparently the vendor made no arrangements to profit share! I don't know how independent contractors obtain health benefits, but I will say that I am careful, when able, to support those Afrikan revolutionary spirits by purchasing legitimate copies of their research. As a community who spends billions of dollars yearly.....frequently on useless trinkets we don't need or that do us more harm than good, there is absolutely no excuse not to fund those working towards our sovereignty.

5. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Not to stir up anything, but would you place Oprah in this category?

KD

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Brother KWABENA ... great question ... whew ... i had to think on this one for a moment.

First of all, it is important to define / qualify "revolutionary" for the sake of this discussion. In this thread, What is a Revolutionary?, i asked the Family to help me define the word. Based on it, we are probably not going to all agree on one definition, so for the sake of this particular discussion, i'll define the word for us ... k ?

Revolutionary ... a Sister or Brother that devotes their entire energy to the upliftment of Black People, exclusively.
    Exclusively, in that, Black People are their primary focus, and it can be seen clearly by all.

I think the above covers what i'm looking for. Unfortunately though, this leaves our Beloved Sister Oprah out. It's clear that her entire energies, do not go to her own people, exclusively. When we cater to others, we put ourselves in a position to receive the rewards they give. As a result, retirement benefit packages will look quite different. In fact, they are most often, guaranteed.

It is the Sisters and Brothers that work exclusively for us, that i'm wondering / worrying about. It seems these Sisters and Brothers most often come up short, during and at the end of their lives. Our people do not insure even a minimal existence for them. Our people do not financially support them. Not in the manner they'd be supported, if they diverted at least some of their energies, to white people. In spite of this, oftentimes knowing this, these Sisters and Brothers still choose to work for us ... sacrificing their lives ... without receiving adequate financial compensation.

I am trying to bring attention to this ugly situation. It should not be this way.

Those who fight for us ... live for us ... die for us ... should be compensated by us.

This glaring omission by our collective, is discouraging anyone (especially our youth) from taking on these tasks.

Again, we are hurting our own selves.

Brother KWABENA ... thanks for the question ... it was fun answering it! :love:

Destee

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I don't believe great worriors and leaders left richly but left a richly legacy
    the only benefits and Insurance will be through there life's work that we as
    people uphold and honor, which we do not do well and allowed the unspoken
    lie to entrap us in thinking negatively to discredit the total package.

The Package in my mind consist of different logs and merits in which the revolutional
    head direction was taken.
    Revolutionary as i sum it up as ...A body that constituting or bringing major change
    for a people betterment .

What financally been gain range between the rights to vote to the use of learning
    to the freedom of speech the great bus boycott we financally gain asset to terminology
    able to enter Institutions yet while we still struggle for equity as a people our dear
    beloved Revolutionaries path the way for us to journey upon as death settle upon there
    lovin fighting souls.

No we in today age and time don't do what we could or should as a people to even
    turn heads of masses , the great past was our true power as those worriors are now
    gone the torch is laying there, been droped through oppression / poverty and mental
    slavery as we recondition ourselves ....

Some day we will overcome i believe in the year 2223 in my mind will be the major change

YES it matters a great deal.

8. truetothecause

truetothecause Well-Known Member MEMBER

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    First let me say that I love the topics you present!.
    This would be my definition of a "Revolutionary" as well...cause to focus soley on the interests of Folks of Afreekan Descent is clearly a radical change/departure from the current norms.

And of course we know it is a job people are in NOT for the money. Not only is it not "appealing" to the masses I'm not sure it can be made appealing. I think Malcom said something to the effect that if one knew what it meant to Be a Revolutionary, they would sorta run the other way. It is a job which the guranteed benefit is death...death of a faulty belief system, death of the 'comforts' of amerikkka, death of the biblical teachings of forgiveness and allowing "the Lord to fight your battles".....death of the hope of financial survival....it is the High road where not too many folk walk...it's a lonely road...living in isolation most often ....naw...it's not appealing at all...unless....you are True To the Cause of Afreekan Liberation...unless you care less about Self and more about the collective.....unless you have a True LOVE of SELF and want something different and are willing to do so....BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY..... Unless you are willing to BE a "Sacrifical Lamb" ....I sense when I make my Transition...many in my immediate family will then be able to really "feel me" and DO something different ...like begin to teach our youth differently...they will not refer to me as "crazy", "too deep" "too analytical" etc....Someone's fiery Spirit WILL awaken and Be stirred to Acting different. That is my consolation:bye:

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Veteran PanAfrican FreedomFighter Elombe Brath Needs Help with Medical Expenses

Veteran PanAfrican FreedomFighter Elombe Brath Needs Help with Medical Expenses

Please read the letter below and send a check to help Elombe and Nomsa with Elombe's medical expenses brought on by a stroke.

The family needs at least $10,000 to do all that is necessary.

CEMOTAP, BCAP, WISOMM, NBPP, Dr. Jeffries and Councilman Charles Barron have already stepped foward. Please join them by sending a check made payable to:

Elombe Brath

Mail donations to:

Elombe Brath
    1845 Adam Clayton Powell Boulevard -Apt 6C
    Harlem, NY 10026

If you prefer to drop donations in person do so
    at drop off address for cash Donations

Cinque Brathwaite (Elombe's Son)
    766 St.Nicholas Avenue apt #4a
    Harlem, NY 10031

Cash Donation drop offs Sunday from 4 - 8pm or Thursday from 6:30 - 9:30pm

Call to confirm before arriving at 212 926 2070 Please be as generous with your dollars as Elombe has been to our community with not only his information and work but his time and his energy. Sincerely,

James McIntosh and Betty Dopson

Co-Chairs of CEMOTAP
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Letter from Nomsa Brath

Dear friends and fellow activists,

I am challenged to announce to those of you, who know and love him, that Elombe has had a stroke. I suspect that before the visible effects of the stroke, which occurred in September, at least two minor ones might have went unnoticed. That is the sad news, but the good news and more powerful news is that I believe he has the courage to regain his former posture and continue the work he has championed, for the past 50 years, the liberation of African people.

He is presently under the doctor's care as well as receiving physical therapy bi-weekly, to strengthen his left side and improve his gait. Cognitively, there is a difference, but not a drastic one. He can hold his own most of the time so long as he does not become fatigued.

Elombe retired from ABC nine years ago so that he could focus on his life's work exclusively. He receives medical coverage as a PPO which is 20% paid by him and 80% by his insurance for all accepte d medical procedures and programs as well as Medicare. Consequently, preventive and holistic medical practices and procedures are not acceptable and will not be covered by this plan. He has no dental coverage and I know that has impacted his health adversely.

There are several alternative modalities that I am trying to add to his treatment plan, which include purchasing equipment to use at home on a regular basis as well as added nutritional supplementation to that which has already been prescribed, oxygen therapy, massage, dental surgery, etc. He will probably be getting chelation therapy but not until further blood work is done because his creatine is not exactly where the doctor would like it to be and we don't want any kidney problems to complicate things. His blood pressure is good but he has not learned to relax and he is stressing himself about his present physical dilemma.

It is usually the first year of a stroke that is most crucial for stroke victims and an indicator of the level of recovery that can be expected depending on the severity of damage.

For the next three months he will be observed and then re-evaluated. If at that time he has not improved as expected he will be taken to Cuba for further assessment and treatment.

His life has been a marathon of causes here and around the world on behalf of our brothers and sisters who needed their struggles to be voiced and recognized, whether in South Africa, Namibia, Congo, Ethiopia, Grenada, Burkina Faso or in the United States. With your help we can keep him moving forward in better health and strength for many years to come.

Yours in Love and Struggle

Nomsa Brath

10. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    benifits package...

i don't think that[stokley]was exactly living in poverty,how many of you are aware that two years after the riots in washington,brother stokley and his wife[miriam mekeba]tried to purchase a house on the goldcoast[which is a very exclusive area of d.c.]now why our revolutionary brother wanted to live so far from his beloved people is beyond me,i'm just stating the facts[anyone here from d.c.knows where the[goldcoast]is what kind of folks live there.