Black People : Beliefs - Why are they so resistant to change?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by hellogood, Dec 3, 2009.

1. hellogood

hellogood Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +261
    Some people are prepared to die for what they believe in—or kill others. Belief is a powerful thing. Believing something can have extreme consequences.

Yet for all its power a belief is by definition something unproven. A belief is something that we think is true. It is something we accept and have trust and confidence in but which is in essence a guess, a feeling, a theory, or conviction. A belief is not necessarily a fact. It is no more than opinion or intuition. But unlike an opinion, which can be easily changed if evidence convinces us we were wrong, a belief is much more deeply embraced and more resistant to change. But we believe—we don’t know. We assume—but we don’t prove or test that assumption. Yet if you believe in something enough, whether it is true or not, like the tribal aborigines, you can make it real.

Beliefs can be dangerous because even when false they feel so real.

There are 3 types of beliefs:

Casual beliefs: everyday, practical beliefs that don’t matter much if we get them wrong such as ‘I believe it will rain tomorrow’ or ‘I believe expensive shampoo is better than cheap shampoo’. They are usually based on some form of evidence, experience, or generalization but are not necessarily accurate. For example, you might have a couple of bad experiences on the road with drivers of a particular make of vehicle so you jump to the conclusion that people who drive that type of car are bad drivers.

Conditioned beliefs: these come from an assessment of what has happened in the past and then predicts the same results in the future. So we get beliefs such as ‘I’m no good at sport’ or ‘I can’t draw’. These beliefs, if negative, can stifle our potential and limit our lives. Many of our conditioned beliefs are also absorbed from family, peers, or social influences and are taken in without question or examination. Accepting others’ beliefs helps us fit in and be accepted. So, for example, we might take in such beliefs as ‘Rich people are unhappy/selfish/greedy/crooked’ or ‘A woman can only be beautiful if she is young, thin, and sexy’ or ‘Boys don’t cry’ or ‘If you’re not successful then you are a loser’.

Core beliefs: can be positive or negative, lead us to be an optimist or pessimist, and decide the answers to such questions as ‘Who am I?’, ‘What is life about?’, ‘What will I do with my life?’

What we learn and experience in early life shapes our attitudes to, and beliefs about, the world and ourselves. From our early experiences we create an internal guide to life. Our expectations about the future are rooted in memories and emotions from the past. If parents regularly ignore a child for example, that child might become an adult who believes they don’t deserve to have their needs met or that they are unlovable or that other people cannot be trusted. Their core belief might become ‘I am not important or valuable.’

Core beliefs are like a mental framework that supports our thoughts, beliefs, values and perception. They direct the information we receive from the world and evaluate it and apply a meaning to it.

Our core beliefs influence us on a subconscious level. We may have a powerful core belief that influences our behaviour and reactions without even being aware of it. For example, someone who chooses one abusive partner after another or who indulges in self-destructive behaviour, may have a core belief that they deserve to be punished. We need to carefully examine our behaviour, automatic thoughts and reactions to discover what our subconscious core beliefs are.

Our core beliefs are a filter through which we experience life. For example if someone calls you useless but your core belief is that you are competent and capable then ‘useless’ does not fit into your framework and can be easily dismissed. You in effect, ‘filter’ it out. If, however, your core belief is that you are useless (based on memories and emotions from your past) then you will agree with the judgement, accept it, and it will in turn reinforce your core belief of uselessness.

Some examples of core beliefs:

You give up easily because at heart you don’t believe you deserve to succeed or that you are capable of succeeding.

You believe you are special and should have whatever you want despite undesirable consequences. So you have trouble with self-control (perhaps over spending, obesity, overuse of alcohol etc).

You believe the world is a dangerous place, which makes you timid, fearful and avoidant.

You believe you are better than other people, which makes you arrogant.

You believe you are inferior to other people, which produces low self-esteem, under achievement and depression.

What we believe influences who we are and how we think, feel, and act. So what do you believe? Do your beliefs promote your maximum success and happiness or do they handicap you?

So, work out what belief may be limiting you. Do you believe negative things about yourself that are holding you back? Then ask yourself is your belief true or not? Accept that it is possible to believe something that is not real, accurate or true.

Get used to the idea that until proven, all beliefs are questionable. For centuries most of the population of the world believed the earth was flat and even put people to death for believing that it wasn’t. People once believed that bad smells caused disease, that women could not be educated, that spirits produced babies and all sorts of other nonsensical things with absolute surety and conviction. Even in our scientific age some people still believe something as dangerous as sex with a virgin will cure AIDS!

]Work out where your limiting belief came from. Is it something you worked out for yourself or have you absorbed parental, peer, or society’s beliefs? But most importantly, is what you believe accurate? Question it. Is it sound and logical? Is its basic premise true? What evidence can you find to prove or disprove it?

Don’t let something that is no more than an abstract concept rule or ruin your life.

that is why they are called "BELIEF SYSTEMS" and not TRUTH SYSTEMS

2. Precise Allah

Precise Allah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Peacemaker
    Ratings:
    +759
    Peace,

What's you've written here is right and exact. Good build. :thanks:

Peace
    Precise

3. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560

Thank you very much for sharing this! :toast:

Now, yes, as a Christian, my "Core Beliefs" are rooted in the Bible as God's Word.

Moreover, I have "filtered" my life through my "Core Beliefs" as a Christian, and I've experienced no damaging repercussions or consequences because of them.

However, it was interesting to me that you stated that "Core Beliefs can be POSITIVE or NEGATIVE," yet you relayed no positive examples of "Core Beliefs," only the negative. :thinking:

But, again, I THANK YOU for sharing this delineation of "Beliefs:" Casual, Conditioned, and Core! :toast:

Reading YOUR WORDS here has encouraged me to become even DEEPER rooted in and to strengthen MY "Core Beliefs" all the more!

4. 360

360 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +148
    The ideology you refer to is not of us and our beliefs are not resistant to change.

5. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560

Are you responding to me, 360, or to Hellogood, the author of the thread?

6. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    This is a serious and importanant post and it speaks volumes to the new belief system, that many Black folks have embraced, and that is a belief or faith in politicians.

That kind of belief as you say can be fanatical andcause many to not, read, observe, study or analyze present situations but like the

"Elegant people of OZ" in the movie the WIZ,

they look upon politicians as the WIZERD,
    someone who can not and better not be questioned ,

and when he says today's color is red we must think red and the next day when he says we must think green we think green,
    without any consideration or analysis.

Such a belief makes the public servant, in a nation where government is supposed to be of the people and by the people,
    changes that public servant
    into the role of the

Master

7. A007

A007 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +115
    GREAT!

Hellogood,

Fantastic post!

People won't challenge what they believe because of fear and ignorance. They BELIEVE there is a negative outcome on the other side of the change. The funny thing is almost all people who have made a significant change in their core beliefs feel like they are better off for making the change.

This goes for atheists that change to Christian, Christians that change to Muslims, Christians who change to atheist, Muslims that change to Buddhists...so on and so forth. So, it is clear that the change is not the enemy it is the fear of change that is the enemy. Because, if we are willing to continuously challenge even our core beliefs eventually (some faster than others) we will get to truth...or the closest thing we have to it.

Thanks again.

Peace and Love

8. awo dino

awo dino Well-Known Member MEMBER

carpenter, anthropologist, teacher. Right now I te
    Ratings:
    +1,258
    Dogma's a B#%@*
    stagnation. resistance to change. nothin' good comes out of it.

9. blkbutterfly41

blkbutterfly41 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +483
    Excellent assessment and the powers at be, Knows this and use this method to keep us fighting amongst each other.

The "My God is bigger then your God ' method keep entire countries fighting for decades. if we learn to respect of one faith regardless and exercising those same powerful belief systems, THAT screams volumes, TO ME. But few actually do.

10. CITIZEN

CITIZEN Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +144
    Merriam-Webster: FAITH

1 a : allegiance to duty or a person : loyalty b (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) : sincerity of intentions
    2 a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust
    3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs <the Protestant faith>

No questions, no proof, no concerns. As a matter of fact, to question the belief implies that the person is not devoted to it.