Black People : Beliefs Vs. The Facts:

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by chuck, Dec 6, 2010.

1. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    First of all, I do try to read most (if not all) of the postings, i. e., sometimes even when I don't even post on the thread(s), other times when I do...

So, I am aware of your concerns and your worries, as regards the present plights of our various relations, etc.

Second of all, while I may or may not agree with your analysis/approaches/agendas, my stand was and is it is neither my right to second guess your approaches etc. nor my responsibility to help you to advance your agendas etc.

Thirdly and the point of this commentary?

On the other hand, while some things have changed, i. e., since the heydays of the Civil Rights and Black Power Movements (as well as era):

Some of our relations haven't changed at all!

One simply doesn't try to build anything on top of shifting sands etc.

Back in the day:

There was an active anti war movement...

Nowadays:

More of our relations aren't draftees and are active members of today's so called 'volunteer' military...

Back in the day...

It was a given anybody and everybody who needed and wanted to be taken seriously did their homework and I (among others) didn't need to remind them of the legacies of the black heroes and black heroines in this nation/on this continent/etc.

Flashforward and how many people of your generation even heard or read about A. Phillip Randolph--or Dubois--or Harold Cruse--etc.?

Some folks have read THE COLOR PURPLE:

To me THE BLUEST EYE kinda sorta is the backdrop to folks fronting black/acting white...

Also to me: Earlier black movies-- like COOLEY HIGH --kinda sorta reveal that whatever is relevant about--say-- BOYZ IN THE HOOD--etc.--reveal that more recent ones merely overstates the same old b. s.,
    i. e., living in segregated neighborhoods/a lack of opportunities to better oneself/and or a hostile (mostly white) bunch of modern day handlers (those who wield the real control and power over their lives), continuing on the ole overseer roles--ala those already associated with them ole white plantation owners--their white overseers--and oh so grateful house kneegrow surrogates...

My point is the old black movement rhetoric about 'whitey/racism/the system' is besides the point , i. e., to those black have nots who hardly need to be reminded about things they're already too aware of-- 24/7-- and also make such black activists etc. come across as a wee bit foolish ad naseum to the black haves-- too...

Simply put?

Most (if not everybody) is already aware OF the issues and problems etc.:

Few of them did or do expect to be asked to help DO ANYTHING ABOUT THEM!

THAT IS WHY NO NEW MOVEMENTS ARE ROSE UP SINCE THE SEVENTIES!!

On the other hand:

The very notion of what it takes to START A MOVEMENT seems and sounds to be a bad reflection of and/or an overdependence on the MAINSTREAM MEDIA'S takes, including most posters on these threads and these forums etc., as though one would dare to expect one's exploiters and oppressors to school them on how to resist their exploitaton and oppression!

If anything can and should bring about a reexamination of what took place after the Urban Rebellions of the sixties, i. e., whereas the WHITE STATUS QUO reacted etc. to 'social unrest' etc. by literally desegregating the private and public institutions of this nation, literally overnight:

In general, it would be the downside of black/white contacts, etc., which more or less originated via the integration of some (not all) blacks and/or nonwhites into this nation's public school systems, etc.

In particular, the white resistance to black children going to 'their' schools etc. --here --is a ironic story in and of itself:

Though having also noted the behavior etc. of younger immediate and extended family members, who did and who do etc., based more on white wannabes fleeing the older suburbs their white parents reared them--to newer ones--far away from them, i. e. empty seats (read lower taxes)/available ones (for blacks etc. who are filling them these days), etc., and as is true of all people--sometimes folks are a bad reflection of who else they mingle with too!

The short version:

You mingle with low achievers--you risk becoming a low achiever!

Etc. etc. etc.

On the one hand:

There is a black mythology as regares white people, i. e., 'all' of whom are presumed/assumed to live in 'better' neighborhoods, etc.

On the other hand:

I also grew near dyfunctional white families etc., like those on ole so popular white sitcoms, from ALL IN THE FAMILY to ROSEANNE, etc.

So what exactly is your 'us vs them' scenarios truly being based on posters?

Also do contrast that with this too:

I. e., too many white folks conceptions/perceptions/etc. are really based on their mutual understandings and knowledge etc. of 'how it all works', e. g.,
    what little or more they get them most of us is very much based on not challenging the true white status quo of this nation, 'tea party' b. s. notwithstanding, etc.

Also being that white culture etc. is exclusive/not inclusive, only a relative handful of even black haves--mostly of the upper middle class and rich variety--truly do benefit from being included in it...

By contrast--and easily revealed by the one Spike Lee film I do consider on point/on time--SCHOOL DAZE--(which too oftentimes reflect the sort of black young folk I do come into contact these days in colleges etc.)--no time for either the black haves or the black have nots to be fantasy tripping over just being on the fringe of white mainstream culture etc. by the way of mere desegregation!

My and the and more to the point:

There are as many misconceptions (as regards the options alleged to benefit blacks as individuals) which some less than socially/politically/etc. conscious sixties and post sixties black folk belabor under --as opposed to socially and politically conscious black people...

Y'see, Fifty and Company are merely a reflection of much deeper internal issues/problems/etc. challenging all of us, just via our social relations, etc.:

Instead, even though some of everybody's generation have been ego (fantasy) tripping, since the seventies:

A few of us also got our reality checks/wake up calls/etc. from the likes of THE LAST POETS/Gil Scott-Heron/Etc.

Now it's your turn!

And is always true of any trip:

Eventually they do end!

Poorly or well:

That's my take on the state of Black America: 2010...

It's a given I'd appreciate any and all feedback...

FYI...

Later...

Peace...

2. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

I don't get how what you have stated has to do with belief vs. facts?

Not sure where you were trying to take this, but all i got out of what i could make of it is that "it's the youth's fault"....and it's time for them to stand up like your generation did in the 60's and 70's, which is the all too familiar cry around these parts lately!

The bottom can only be and is a reflection of the top.

To say to the youth, or younger generation:

- without providing any specific information, or knowledge that they should be building off of, or the proper path they should be taking is imho, a waste of time.

My son has never heard of Gil Scott Heron, but he has heard of his daughter. Also, he has Gil Scott Info. to listen too everyday! Most in his generation don't have that because either both parents have to work, or one or both may be on drugs, but to just flat out keep blaming the youth as if you knew exactly who you were when you were their age is hypocritical. Especially, when ya'll just keep pointing fingers at them and not at the path that they should be taking.

I know some of ya'll try to ride the thin line, but it is very easy to see thru.

Do ya'll really expect artists from your generation to be relateable to this generation? Some will, some won't! This generation have their own positive artists, mostly underground that they can relate too, not just what ya'll seem to hear on the radio. What do the youth in your family listen too chuck?

Trying to limit any generation to one genre of music and blaming it for the ills in the black community is a cop out by the former generation and what it really says is that "yall did not do your job", orelse how did this genre of music sneak into our communities in the first place on your watch!!
    How did drugs slip into our communities on your watch?
    How could you let the school system dumb us down on your watch?
    why didn't a red flag go up when you saw them building churches and liquor stores on every corner in our communities on your watch?
    How could you continue to lie to them about the voting process which is a so-called right that was GIVEN to us on your watch?
    The most honorable elijah muhammad warned of all of this on your watch!

So you can't blame the youth for not knowing what time it is, if you haven't shown them how to set their watch!!

No, it's not all the youth's fault! Yes, there are some knuckleheads among them, but there were and are still knuckleheads among your generation as well. How do you expect them to fully understand and take heed to the messages from your generation, if some from your own generation still don't and refuse to take heed to those same lessons and they were there when the messenger was speaking? Some right here even sound as if they don't talk to any youth at any time because they have already written them off!

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    :geek:..it dem youth, dem youths....it all dem youths
    :SuN042:

4. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    "when a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the only dog to bark is the one who got hit"

- el hajj malik el shabazz

AND HE SAID IT ON YOUR WATCH!!

Also, my statement was:
    not what you mis-quoted:
    as if that's what i said - so for you to subtract the words NOT and ALL from what i actually said is just plain wicked and deceitful and shows that you will go to extreme legnths to blame anyone but yourself for the condition of the youth! Also shows that you have nothing to contribute to them with all of your finger pointing, instead of giving them knowledge on how to manuever around the pot holes of this system!

It is very unbecoming of someone who thinks he is an elder...what a joke!!

5. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    :geek:...it also shows that you have no sense of humor:SuN049:

6. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Also shows you have nothing once again to contribute to a thread in regards to the youth other than to bash them.........

joking? yeah right, you say the same thing in every thread about the youth. It seems to be all you can say about them which shows how far removed from them you actually are!

7. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    :geek:...how old are you?

8. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529

9. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    I got a headache trying to not just read all of that but trying to decipher it as well

10. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    First of all:

My bad!

(Smile)...

Second of all:

Seriously, really it should be you and the other poster kicking it, i. e., because I'm only risking making guesses, whereas my life experiences are of only your of the post sixties generation truly know who is who/what is what,, etc.

Yeah, I heard and read OF the underground rap scene, i. e., which I trace back to the seventies, but such is you and yours thing:

And suchlike only your folk can speak about and/or distinguish from what the Fifty's etc. are hyped to be (and may not be at all) to you and yours...

Also on the real:

My notions of some (if not all) of your generations chosen rites of passage etc., is kinda sorta is like a bunch of kids in their tree house with a 'keep out adults' sign on the front of it, etc.

So, some of your folks aren't being or for real, as well as dare to ask us to help you clean up messes which weren't and aren't fault in the first place:

The worse sort of overlay is to also dare to blame it all on our shortcomings etc. as well!

Also keeping it on the real:

That was and is very--uh--'white'--of your folk

So there should be no miscommunication as regards some (if not all) of us not knowing/understanding/etc. where the heck some of your own are about--or (the key word) choose to be about?

Not to digress (too much):

To say the least:

And obviously some of you and yours didn't or don't know or understand what we went thru when we were growing up at all!

I. e., in terms of Chitown, one has to peep or repeep both COOLEY HIGH as well as the EDUCATION OF SONNY CARSON...

BLUE COLLAR gives you some idea of D Town post sixties era...

Etc.

Second of all, some of the young folks I did and do come into contact with, have their standards for what it means to be an adult to them, too...

So while I've tried time and again to not make this personal and/or be subjective about it all:

Though in all due candor and honesty etc.?

As regards most of the 'street' smart young adults I come into contact with:

Most (if not all) wouldn't take some of (you who post on these forums) all that seriously (if they would even have an opinion period)!

Y'see, I listen and learn from all of you, though I do hope and pray you realize the importance/relevance/significance of also doing likewise from each other...

At this point:

You 'good negroes' and bad 'nigs' are more or less rivals...

If only a few of you could or would also choose to be allies etc.

:em0200: