Black Spirituality Religion : Belief in Allaah

ABDULLAH

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jul 13, 2010
Belief in Allaah

1- Who do Muslims worship?.
2- The kuffaar ask who created Allaah.
3- People have evidence of the existence of God, and the wisdom behind His creation.
4- The mercy of Allaah towards His slaves .
5- Is there a Creator of this universe?.
6- The Oneness of Allaah .
7- He is debating with a Christian and is asking: Does God has a spirit?.
8- The meaning of belief in Allaah .

Who do Islams worship?

Praise be to Allaah.
Before answering, we would like to express our appreciation for your interest, at such a young age, in the religion of Islam. May Allaah open the door for you to find much blessing through your asking this question, and decree for you guidance such as you have never thought of. Allaah [the Arabic name for the One True God – Translator] says in the Qur’aan [the Holy Book of Islam] (interpretation of the meaning):
“This is the Guidance of Allaah with which He guides whomsoever He will of His slaves…” [al-An’aam 6:88]
“And whomsoever Allaah wills to guide, He opens his breast to Islam…” [al-An’aam 6:125]
With regard to this important question – who do the Muslims worship? – the answer is to be found in the Holy Qur’aan, which is the Scripture of Islam, and in the words of the Prophet of Islam, Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) who received Revelation from his Lord.
Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“In the name of Allaah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful. All praises and thanks be to Allaah, the Lord of the ‘Aalameen (mankind, jinns and all that exists), the Most Beneficient, the Most Merciful, the Only Owner (and the Only Ruling Judge) of the Day of Recompense (i.e., the Day of Resurrection). You (Alone) we worship, and You (alone) we ask for help (for each and every thing).” [al-Faatihah 1:1-5]
“O mankind! Worship your Lord (Allaah), Who has created you and those before you so that you may become al-muttaqoon (the pious).” [al-Baqarah 2:21]
“Such is Allaah, your Lord! None has the right to be worshipped but He, the Creator of all things. So worship Him (Alone), and He is the Wakeel (Trustee, Disposer of affairs, Guardian) over all things.”[al-An’aam 6:102]
“And your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him, and that you be dutiful to your parents. If one of them or both of them attain old age in your life, say not to them a word of disrespect, nor shout at them but address them in terms of honour.” [al-Isra’ 17:23]
Muslim worship Allaah [the One True God] whom all the Prophets worshipped. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Or were you witnesses when death approached Ya’qoob [Jacob]? When he said unto his sons, ‘What will you worship after me?’ They said, ‘We shall worship your God, the God of your fathers, Ibraaheem [Abraham], Ismaa’eel [Ishmael] and Is-haaq [Isaac], One God, and to Him we submit (in Islam).” [al-Baqarah 2:133]
The Muslims worship Allaah and call others who follow different religions to worship Allaah Alone, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Say [O Muhammad]: ‘O People of the Scripture [Jews and Christians]: come to a word that is just between us and you, that we worship none but Allaah, and we associate no partners with Him, and that none of us shall take others as lords besides Allaah.’ Then, if they turn away, say, ‘Bear witness that we are Muslims.’” [Aal ‘Imraan 3:64]
It is Allaah Alone Whom Nooh [Noah] (peace be upon him) called his people to worship, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Indeed, We sent Nooh [Noah] to his people and he said: ‘O my people! Worship Allaah! You have no other god but Him. Certainly, I fear for you the torment of a Great Day!.’” [al-A’raaf 7:59]
It is Allaah Alone whom the Messiah [Jesus] (peace be upon him) called people to worship, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Surely they have disbelieved who say: ‘Allaah is the Messiah [Jesus] son of Maryam [Mary].’ But the Messiah said: ‘O Children of Israel! Worship Allaah, my Lord and your Lord.’ Verily, whosoever sets up partners in worship with Allaah, then Allaah has forbidden Paradise for him, and the Fire will be his abode. And for the zaalimoon (polytheists and wrong-doers) there are no helpers.” [al-Maa’idah 5:73]
“And (remember) when Allaah will say (on the Day of Resurrection): ‘O ‘Eesa [Jesus], son of Maryam [Mary]! Did you say unto men: ‘Worship me and my mother as two gods besides Allaah?’ He will say: ‘Glory be to You! It was not for me to say what I had no right (to say). Had I said such a thing, You would surely have known it. You know what is in my inner-self though I do not know what is in Yours. You, only You, are the All-Knower of all that is hidden and unseen.
Never did I say to them aught except what You (Allaah) did command me to say: “Worship Allaah, my Lord and your Lord.” And I was a witness over them while I dwelt amongst them, but when You took me up, You were the Watcher over them, and You are a Witness to all things.’”[al-Maa’idah 5:116-117]
When Allaah spoke to His Prophet Moosa [Moses] (peace be upon him), He said (interpretation of the meaning):
“Verily, I am Allaah! None has the right to be worshipped but I, so worship Me, and perform al-Salaah [prayer] for My Remembrance.”[Ta-Ha 20:14]
Allaah commanded His Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) as follows (interpretation of the meaning):
“Say [O Muhammad]: ‘O mankind! If you are in doubt as to my religion (Islam), then (know that) I will never worship those whom you worship, besides Allaah. But I worship Allaah Who causes you to die, I am commanded to be one of the believers.” [Yoonus 10:104]
It is Him Alone, with no partner or associate, Whom the angels worship and do not worship anyone or anything besides Him, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):
“To Him belongs whosoever is in the heavens and on earth. And those who are near Him (i.e., the angels) are not too proud to worship Him, nor are they weary (of His worship).”[al-Anbiya’ 21:19]
Everything that is worshipped instead of Allaah can neither bring benefit nor cause harm, it can neither create nor provide. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Say (O Muhammad, to mankind); ‘How do you worship besides Allaah something which has no power either to harm or to benefit you? But it is Allaah Who is the All-Hearer, All-Knower.’” [al-Maa’idah 5:76]
“You worship besides Allaah only idols, and you only invent falsehood. Verily, those whom you worship besides Allaah have no power to give you provision, so seek your provision from Allaah (Alone), and worship Him (Alone), and be grateful to Him. To Him (Alone) you will be brought back.” [al-‘Ankaboot 29:17]
Having explained this, we must complete the topic by asking: why should we worship Allaah Alone with no partner or associate? The answer is as follows:
Firstly: because there is nothing and nobody else in the universe that deserves to be worshipped, for Allaah is the Creator and Sustainer, Who has created the universe out of nothing and has bestowed so many blessings upon us. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“So glorify Allaah, when you come up to the evening [i.e., offer the Maghrib (sunset) and ‘Isha’ (night) prayers], and when you enter the morning [I.e., offer the Fajr (morning) prayers].
And His is all the praise and thanks in the heavens and the earth, and (glorify Him) in the afternoon [i.e., offer ‘Asr (mid-afternoon) prayer] and when you come up to the time when the day begins to decline [i.e., offer the Zuhr (mid-day) prayer].
He brings out the living from the dead, and brings out the dead from the living. And He revives the earth after its death, and thus shall you be brought out (resurrected).
And among His Signs is this, that He created you (Adam) from dust, and then [Hawwa (Eve) from Adam’s rib, then his offspring from the semen, and], - behold you are human beings scattered!
And among His Signs is this, that He created for you wives from among yourselves, that you may find repose in them, and He has put between you affection and mercy. Verily, in that are indeed signs for a people who reflect.
And among His Signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the difference of your languages and colours. Verily in that are indeed signs for men of sound knowledge.
And among His Signs is the sleep that you take by night and by day, and your seeking of His Bounty. Verily, in that are indeed signs for a people who listen.
And among His Signs is that He shows you the lightning, by way of fear and hope, and He sends down water (rain) from the sky, and therewith revives the earth after its death. Verily, in that are indeed signs for a people who understand.
And among His Signs is that the heaven and the earth stand by His Command, then afterwards when He will call you by single call, behold, you will come out from the earth (ie.e, from your graves, for reckoning and recompense).
To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and the earth. All are obedient to Him.
And He it is Who originates the creation, then will repeat it (after it has perished), and this is easier for Him. His is the highest description (i.e., none has the right to be worshipped but He, and there is nothing comparable unto Him) in the heavens and in the earth. And He is the All-Mighty, the All-Wise.”[al-Room 30: 17-27]
“Is not He (better than your gods) Who created the heavens and the earth, and sends down for you water (rain) from the sky, whereby We cause to grow wonderful gardens full of beauty and delight? It is not in your ability to cause the growth of their trees. Is there any god with Allaah? Nay, but they are a people who ascribe equals (to Him)!
Is not he (better than you gods) Who has made the earth as a fixed abode, and has placed rivers in its midst, and has placed firm mountains therein, and has set a barrier between the two seas (of salt and sweet water). Is there any god with Allaah? Nay, but most of them know not.
Is not He (better than your gods) Who responds to the distressed one, when He calls Him, and Who removes the evil, generations after generations. Is there any god with Allaah? Little is it that you remember!
Is not He (better than your gods) Who guides you in the darkness of the land and the sea, and Who sends the winds as heralds of glad tidings, going before His mercy (rain)? Is there any god with Allaah? High Exalted be Allaah above all that they associate as partners (to Him)!
Is not He (better than your so-called gods) Who originates creation, and shall thereafter repeat it, and Who provides for you from heaven and earth? Is there any god with Allaah? Say: ‘bring forth your proofs, if you are truthful’
Say: ‘None on the heavens and the earth knows the unseen except Allaah, nor can they perceive when they shall be resurrected.’”
[al-Naml 27:60-65]
So is there anyone or anything besides Allaah that deserves to be worshipped?
Secondly: Allaah did not create us except to worship Him, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And I (Allaah) created not the jinns and humans except they should worship Me (Alone).”[al-Dhaariyaat 51:56]
Thirdly: No one will be saved on the Day of Resurrection except those who used to worship Allaah truly and sincerely. After death Allaah will resurrect His slaves and call them to account, rewarding or punishing them according to their deeds. No one will be saved on that day except for those who used to worship Allaah Alone. The rest will be gathered into a Hell, a terrible fate! The Prophet of Islam, Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), was asked by his Companions: “Will we see our Lord on the Day of Resurrection?” He told them:
“Do you doubt that you can see the sun and the moon when the sky is clear?” We [his Companions] said, “No.” He said, “Then you should not doubt that you will see your Lord on that Day, you will see Him as you see them (the sun and moon).” Then he said, “A caller will call out, ‘Let every people go to that which they used to worship.’ So the worshippers of the cross will go with their cross, the worshippers of idols will go with their idols and the worshippers of every god will go with their gods, until there will be left those who used to worship Allaah, whether they were righteous or otherwise, and a few of the People of the Book [Jews and Christians]. Then Hell will be brought and shown to them as if it is a mirage. It will be said to the Jews, ‘What did you used to worship?’ They will say, ‘We used to worship ‘Uzayr, the son of God.’ It will be said, ‘You have lied. Allaah does not have a wife or son. What do you want?’ They will say, ‘We want something to drink.’ It will be said to them, ‘Drink!’ and they will fall into Hell. Then it will be said to the Christians, ‘What did you used to worship?’ They will say, ‘We used to worship the Messiah, the son of God.’ It will be said, ‘You have lied. Allaah does not have a wife or son. What do you want?’ They will say, ‘We want something to drink.’ It will be said to them, ‘Drink!’ and they will fall into Hell. Then there will be left those who used to worship Allaah, whether they were righteous or otherwise. It will be said to them, ‘What are you waiting for? All the people have gone.’ They will say, ‘We have separated from them and we need Him more today. We heard a caller saying that every people should follow that which they used to worship, so we are waiting for our Lord.’ He will say, ‘Al-Jabbaar [the Compeller, i.e., Allaah] will come…’ And He will say, ‘I am your Lord.’ They will say, ‘You are our Lord,’ but none will speak to Him except the Prophets… then every believer will prostrate to Him.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, no. 6886). These believers are the people of Paradise on whom shall be no fear neither shall they grieve, and they will dwell therein for ever.
We hope that this matter has now become clear. In conclusion we can say nothing except that which Allaah has said (interpretation of the meaning):
“Whoever goes right, then he goes right only for the benefit of his ownself. And whoever goes stray, then he goes astray to his own loss…” [al-Isra’ 17:15]
Peace be upon him who follows the guidance.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

I tell non-muslims that Allah created everything in this universe. They say to me who created Allah ? How can Allah have been there since the beginning ?
How can i answer them ?

Praise be to Allaah.
This question which the Kuffaar have asked you is inherently false and self-contradictory. If we were to say – for the sake of argument – that someone created Allaah, then they would ask you, Who created the creator of the creator? Then, who created the creator of the creator of the creator?! And so on, ad infinitum. This is irrational and impossible.
All of creation goes back to the Creator Who created all things. No one created Him; He created everything other than Himself. This is what makes sense and is logical. This creator is Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted.
With regard to what our religion tells us, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us about this question, where it comes from, and how to respond to it.
Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “People will keep on asking question until someone will say, ‘Allaah created the universe, but who created Allaah?’ Whoever encounters anything like that, let him say, ‘Amantu Billaah (I believe in Allaah).’”
The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Shaytaan will come to one of you and say, ‘Who created the heaven? Who created the earth?’ He will say, ‘Allaah’” – then he mentioned something similar (to the previous report), and added, “And His Messengers.” [i.e., amantu Billaah wa Rusulihi = I believe in Allaah and His Messengers]
The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Shaytaan will come to one of you and say, ‘Who created such and such?’ until he says to him, ‘Who created your Lord?’ When it reaches that stage, let him seek refuge with Allaah [say A’oodhu Billaahi min ash-shaytaan ir-rajeem = I seek refuge with Allaah from the accursed Shaytaan] and stop thinking about it.”
The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Shaytaan will come to a person and say, ‘Who created such and such…’” and he narrated the whole report. (Imaam Muslim, 134).
In these ahaadeeth we see:
Where this question comes from – from the Shaytaan;
How to deal with it, which is:
to stop pursuing these thoughts and these tricks of the Shaytaan
to say, “I believe in Allaah and His Messengers”
to seek refuge with Allaah from the Shaytaan.
It was also reported that one should spit drily three times to one’s left, and recite Qul Huwa Allaahu ahad.
(See "Problems and Solutions" in the Shaykh’s Books section of this website).
3. With regard to the prior existence of Allaah, our Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) has told us about this, for example:
He (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “O Allaah, You are the First and there is nothing before You; O Allaah, You are the Last and there is nothing after You.” (Narrated by Muslim, 2713)
He (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah existed when there was nothing apart from Him.” According to another report: “There was nothing before Him.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari; the first report 3020; the second report 6982).
This is in addition to what is stated in the aayaat of the Qur’aan. The believer believes without a doubt, the kaafir denies and the munaafiq doubts. We ask Allaah to grant us sincere and certain faith with no doubts. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Islam Q&A

A non muslim friend of mine asked how i will prove existence of god and why has he given us life,and with what purpose. my answer did not satisfy him ,plese tell me what i should tell him?

Praise be to Allaah.
My dear Muslim brother, your efforts to call people to Allaah and explain the reality of Allaah’s existence make us very happy. Finding out about Allaah is in tune with the sound fitrah (natural inclinations of man) and with sound reasoning. How many there are who, once the truth becomes clear to them, they hasten to submit to Allaah (enter Islam). If each one of us was to do his duty towards his religion, a great deal of good would be achieved. So we congratulate you, our brother, for undertaking the mission of the Prophets and Messengers, and we give you the glad tidings of the great reward which you are promised, as your Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If Allaah were to guide one man at your hands, that would be better for you than red camels.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3/134; Muslim, 4/1872). “Red camels” are the best kind of camels.
Secondly:
With regard to proof of the existence of Allaah, it is obvious to anyone who ponders the matter, and there is no need for a lengthy discussion. When we ponder the matter, we find out that it is divided into three categories: instinctive evidence, tangible evidence and shar’i evidence. We will explain that to you further, in sha Allaah.
1 – Instinctive evidence:
Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:
The instinctive evidence that God exists is the strongest of all evidence for those who are not led astray by the devils. Hence Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“So set you (O Muhammad) your face towards the religion (of pure Islamic Monotheism) Haneef (worship none but Allaah Alone). Allaah’s Fitrah (i.e. Allaah’s Islamic Monotheism) with which He has created mankind” [al-Room 30:30]
Man’s sound nature (fitrah) testifies to the existence of God and man cannot turn away from that unless the devils mislead him; whoever is misled by the devils may not recognize this evidence.”
(From Sharh al-Safaareeniyyah)
Every person feels inside himself that he has a Lord and Creator, and he feels that he is in need of Him; if some major calamity befalls him he turns his hands, eyes and heart towards the heavens, seeking help from his Lord.
2 – Tangible evidence:
This refers to the things that exist in this universe; we see around us things that exist, such as trees, rocks, mankind, the earth, the heavens, seas, rivers…
If it is asked: these things are so many – who created them and is taking care of them?
The answer is that if these things came into being by accident, spontaneously and with no cause, then there is no one who knows how they were created, and that is one possibility. But there is another possibility, which is that these things created themselves and are taking care of themselves. And there is a third possibility, which is that there is Someone Who created them. When we look at these three possibilities, we find that the first and the second are impossible. If we reject the first and the second, then the third must be the one which is correct, which is that these things have a Creator who created them, and that Creator is Allaah. This is what is stated in the Qur’aan, where Allaah says:
“Were they created by nothing? Or were they themselves the creators?
Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Nay, but they have no firm Belief” [al-Toor 52:35]
Moreover, when were these mighty things created? For all these years, who is it that has decreed that they should remain in this world and has granted them the means of abiding?
The answer is, it is Allaah who has given to each thing that which is suited to it and will guarantee its survival. Do you not see the beautiful green plants; when Allaah cuts off their water supply, can they live? No, rather they become dry stalks. If you ponder all things you will find that they are dependent upon Allaah. Were it not for Allaah, nothing would remain.
And Allaah has created everything to do that for which it is suited. So camels, for example, are for riding. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Do they not see that We have created for them of what Our Hands have created, the cattle, so that they are their owners.
And We have subdued them unto them so that some of them they have for riding and some they eat” [Yaa-Seen 36:71-72]
Look at the camel and how Allaah has created it strong, with a strong back, so that it can be used for riding and it is able to endure harsh conditions which other animals cannot bear.
If you look at other creatures you will find that they are suited to the purposes for which they were created. Glory be to Allaah.
Examples of tangible evidence include the following:
When calamities befall people this points to the existence of the Creator, for example, when they call upon Allaah and Allaah responds to their prayer; this points to the existence of Allaah. Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said: “When the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prayed for rain, he said, ‘Allaahumma aghithnaa, Allaahumma aghithnaa (O Allaah, send us rain, O Allaah, send us rain).’ Then a cloud came and it started to rain before he had even come down from the minbar. This points to the existence of the Creator.” (Sharh al-Safaareeniyyah).
3 – Shar’i evidence:
All divinely-revealed laws point to existence of Allaah. Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:
“All the divinely-revealed laws point to the existence of the Creator and to the perfect nature of His knowledge, wisdom and mercy, because these laws must have been prescribed by someone, and that Lawgiver is Allaah.” (From Sharh al-Safaareeniyyah).
With regard to your question: why did Allaah create us?
The answer is: so that we would worship Him, thank Him and remember Him, and do that which He has commanded us. You know that among mankind there are kaafirs and there are Muslims. This is because Allaah wants to test His slaves as to whether they will worship Him or worship others. That is after Allaah has showed the way to everyone. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Who has created death and life that He may test you which of you is best in deed” [al-Mulk 67:2]
“And I (Allaah) created not the jinn and mankind except that they should worship Me (Alone)” [al-Dhaariyaat 51:56]
We ask Allaah to enable us and you to do that which He loves and is pleased with, and to do more da’wah and work for the sake of His religion. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad.

How merciful is Allah, because i heard he loves you more than 70 mothers. Is that true? please explain?.

Praise be to Allaah.
Allaah is the Most Merciful, Most Compassionate, and He is the most Merciful of those who show mercy. His Mercy encompasses all things. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“and My Mercy embraces all things”
[al-A’raaf 7:156]
In Saheeh Muslim it is narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah has one hundred parts of mercy, of which He sent down one between the jinn, mankind, the animals and the insects, by means of which they are compassionate and merciful to one another, and by means of which wild animals are kind to their offspring. And Allaah has kept back ninety-nine parts of mercy with which to be merciful to His slaves of the Day of Resurrection.”
Muslim, al-Tawbah, 6908.
It was narrated that ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab said: “Some prisoners were brought to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and there was a woman among the prisoners who was searching (for her child). When she found her child she embraced him and put him to her breast. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to us, ‘Do you think that this woman would throw her child in the fire?’ We said, ‘No, by Allaah, not if she is able not to.’ The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, ‘Allaah is more merciful to His slaves than this woman is to her child.’”
Agreed upon. Al-Bukhaari, 5653; Muslim, 6912.
One aspect of the mercy of Allaah to His slaves is that He sent the Messengers and revealed the Books and laws to organize their lives according to the ways of wisdom, far removed from hardship and difficulty. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And We have sent you (O Muhammad) not but as a mercy for the ‘Aalameen (mankind, jinn and all that exists)”
[al-Anbiya’ 21:107]
The mercy of Allaah is what will admit His believing slaves to Paradise on the Day of Resurrection. No one will ever enter Paradise because of his deeds alone, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No one’s deeds will ever admit him to Paradise.” They said, “Not even you, O Messenger of Allaah?” He said, “No, not even me, unless Allaah shower me with His Mercy. So try to be near to perfection. And no one should wish for death; he is either doing good so he will do more of that, or he is doing wrong so he may repent.”
Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5349; Muslim, 7042
So the believer must remain in a state between hoping for the mercy of Allaah and fearing His punishment, for Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Declare (O Muhammad) unto My slaves, that truly, I am the Oft-Forgiving, the Most-Merciful.
And that My Torment is indeed the most painful torment”
[al-Hijr 15:49-50]
With regard to your saying that Allaah loves us more than seventy mothers, Allaah knows best concerning that. It is sufficient for us to know that the mercy of Allaah encompasses all things. O Allaah, have mercy upon us, O Most merciful of those who show mercy.

Islam Q&A

Do you think there is any evidence that the universe has been designed by an intelligent and powerful creator?

Praise be to Allaah.
We thank you for your question, and would like to answer by quoting a number of aayaat (verses) from the Book of Allaah (the Qur’aan – the scripture of Islam), then you can think to yourself about the matter and if the truth becomes clear to you, you will have no choice but to follow it.
“Were they created by nothing, or were they themselves the creators?
Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Nay, but they have no firm Belief.
Or are with them the treasures of your Lord? Or are they the tyrants with the authority to do as they like?”[al-Toor 52:35-37]
“Verily, the creation of the heavens and the earth, and in the alternation of night and day, and the ships which sail through the sea with that which is of use to mankind, and the water (rain) which Allaah sends down from the sky and makes the earth alive therewith after its death, and the moving (living) creatures of all kinds that He has scattered therein, and in the veering of winds and clouds which are held between the sky and the earth, are indeed aayaat (proofs, evidences, signs) for people of understanding.”[al-Baqarah 2:164]
“It is He Who sends down water (rain) from the sky, and with it We bring forth vegetation of all kinds, and out of it We bring forth green stalks, from which We bring forth thick clustered grain. And out of the date-palm and its spathe come forth clusters of dates hanging low and near, and gardens of grapes, olives and pomegranates, each similar (in kind) yet different (in variety and taste). Look at their fruits when they begin to bear, and the ripeness thereof. Verily! In these things there are signs for people who believe.”[al-An’aam 6:99]
“And it is He Who sends the winds as heralds of glad tidings, going before His Mercy (rain), till when they have carried a heavy-laden cloud, We drive it to a land that is dead, then We cause water (rain) to descend thereon. Then We produce every kind of fruit therewith. Similarly, We shall raise up the dead, so that you may remember or take heed.”[al-A’raaf 7:57]
“Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens and the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?”[al-Anbiya’ 21:30]
“Is not He (better than your gods) Who created the heavens and the earth, and sends down for you water (rain) from the sky, whereby We cause to grow wonderful gardens full of beauty and delight? It is not in your ability to cause the growth of their trees. Is there any god with Allaah? Nay, but they are a people who ascribe equals (to Him)!”[al-Naml 27:60]
“He has created the heavens and the earth without any pillars that you see, and has set on the earth firm mountains, lest it should shake with you. And He has scattered therein moving (living) creatures of all kinds. And We send down water (rain) from the sky, and We cause (plants) of every goodly kind to grow therein.”[Luqmaan 31:10]
“See you not (O men) that Allaah has subjected for you whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the earth, and has completed and perfected His Graces upon you, (both) apparent (i.e., Islamic Monotheism, and the lawful pleasures of this world, including health, good looks, etc.) and hidden (i.e., one’s Faith in Allaah, knowledge, wisdom, guidance for doing righteous deeds, and also the pleasures and delights of the Hereafter in Paradise, etc.)? Yet of mankind in he who disputes about Allaah without knowledge or guidance or a Book giving light!”[Luqmaan 31:20]
“And the two seas (kinds of water) are not alike, this fresh, sweet and pleasant to drink, and that saltish and bitter. And from them both you eat fresh tender meat (fish), and derive the ornaments that you wear. And you see the ships cleaving (the sea-water as they sail through it), that you may seek of His Bounty, and that you may give thanks.”[Faatir 35:12]
“Have you not seen how your Lord spread the shadow? If He willed, He could have made it still – then We have made the sun its guide [i.e., after the sunrise, it (the shadow) contracts and vanishes at noon, and then again appears in the afternoon with the decline of the sun, and had there been no sunlight, there would have been no shadow]
Then We withdraw it to Us – a gradual concealed withdrawal.
And it is He Who makes the night a covering for you, and the sleep (as) repose, and makes the day nushoor (i.e., getting up and going about here and there for daily work, etc., after one’s sleep at night or like resurrection after one’s death).
And it is He Who sends the winds as heralds of glad tidings, going before His Mercy (rain), and We send down pure water from the sky, -
That We may give life thereby to a dead land, and We give to drink thereof many of the cattle and men that We had created,”
[al-Furqaan 25:45-49]
“And it is He Who has let free the two seas (kinds of water), one palatable and sweet, and the other salt and bitter, and He has set a barrier and a complete partition between them.”
[al-Furqaan 25:53]
“And a sign for them is the dead land. We gave it life, and We brought forth from it grains, so that they eat thereof.
And We have made therein gardens of date-palms and grapes, and We have caused springs of water to gush forth therein.
So that they may eat of the fruit thereof, and their hands made it not. Will they not, then, give thanks?
Glory be to Him, Who has created all the pairs of that which the earth produces, as well as of their own (human) kind (male and female), and of that which they know not.
And a sing for them is the night. We withdraw therefrom the day, and behold, they are in darkness.
And the sun runs on its fixed course for a term (appointed). That is the Decree of the All-Mighty, the All-Knowing.
And the moon, We have measured for it mansions (to traverse) till it returns like the old dried curved date stalk.
It is not for the sun to overtake the moon, nor does the night outstrip the day. They all float, each in an orbit.
And a sign for them is that We bore their offspring in the laden ship (of Nooh).
And We have created for them of the like thereunto, so on them they ride.
And if We will, We shall drown them, and there will be no shout (or helper) for them (to hear their cry for help) nor will they be saved,
Unless it be a mercy from Us, and as an enjoyment for a while.”
[Yaa-Seen 36:33-44]
“We created you, then why do you believe not?
Then tell Me (about) the human semen that you emit.
Is it you who create it (i.e., make this semen into a perfect human being), or are We the Creator?
We have decreed death unto you all, and We are not unable,
To transfigure you and create you in (forms) that you know not.
And indeed, you have already known the first form of creation (i.e., the creation of Adam). Why then do you not remember or take heed?
Tell Me! The seed that you sow in the ground.
Is it you that make it grow, or are We the Grower?
Were it Our Will, We could crumble it to dry pieces, and you would be regretful (or left in wonderment),
(Saying), ‘We are indeed Mughramoon (i.e., ruined, or lost the money without any profit, or punished by the loss of all that we spent for cultivation, etc.)!
‘Nay, but we are deprived!’
Tell Me! The water that you drink,
Is it you who cause it from the rainclouds to come down, or are We the Causer of it to come down?
If We willed, We verily could make it salt (and undrinkable). Why then do you not give thanks (to Allaah)?
Tell Me! The fire which you kindle,
Is it you who made the tree thereof to grow, or are We the Grower?
We have made it a Reminder (for the Hell-fire, in the Hereafter); and an article of use for the travellers (and all others, in this world).
The glorify with praises the Name of your Lord, the Most Great.
So I swear by mawaaqi’ (setting to the mansions, etc.) of the stars (they traverse),
And verily, that is indeed a great oath, if you but knew,
That (this) is indeed an honourable recital (the Noble Qur’aan).”
[al-Waaqi’ah 56:57-77]
“So glorify Allaah, when you come up to the evening [i.e., offer the Maghrib (sunset) and ‘Isha’ (night) prayers], and when you enter the morning [i.e., offer the Fajr (morning) prayers].
And His is all the praise and thanks in the heavens and the earth, and (glorify Him) in the afternoon [i.e., offer ‘Asr (mid-afternoon) prayer] and when you come up to the time when the day begins to decline [i.e., offer the Zuhr (mid-day) prayer].
He brings out the living from the dead, and brings out the dead from the living. And He revives the earth after its death, and thus shall you be brought out (resurrected).
And among His Signs is this, that He created you (Adam) from dust, and then [Hawwa (Eve) from Adam’s rib, then his offspring from the semen, and], - behold you are human beings scattered!
And among His Signs is this, that He created for you wives from among yourselves, that you may find repose in them, and He has put between you affection and mercy. Verily, in that are indeed signs for a people who reflect.
And among His Signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the difference of your languages and colours. Verily in that are indeed signs for men of sound knowledge.
And among His Signs is the sleep that you take by night and by day, and your seeking of His Bounty. Verily, in that are indeed signs for a people who listen.
And among His Signs is that He shows you the lightning, by way of fear and hope, and He sends down water (rain) from the sky, and therewith revives the earth after its death. Verily, in that are indeed signs for a people who understand.
And among His Signs is that the heaven and the earth stand by His Command, then afterwards when He will call you by single call, behold, you will come out from the earth (i.e, from your graves, for reckoning and recompense).
To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and the earth. All are obedient to Him.
And He it is Who originates the creation, then will repeat it (after it has perished), and this is easier for Him. His is the highest description (i.e., none has the right to be worshipped but He, and there is nothing comparable unto Him) in the heavens and in the earth. And He is the All-Mighty, the All-Wise.”[al-Room 30: 17-27]
“Is not He (better than your gods) Who created the heavens and the earth, and sends down for you water (rain) from the sky, whereby We cause to grow wonderful gardens full of beauty and delight? It is not in your ability to cause the growth of their trees. Is there any god with Allaah? Nay, but they are a people who ascribe equals (to Him)!
Is not he (better than you gods) Who has made the earth as a fixed abode, and has placed rivers in its midst, and has placed firm mountains therein, and has set a barrier between the two seas (of salt and sweet water). Is there any god with Allaah? Nay, but most of them know not.
Is not He (better than your gods) Who responds to the distressed one, when He calls Him, and Who removes the evil, generations after generations. Is there any god with Allaah? Little is it that you remember!
Is not He (better than your gods) Who guides you in the darkness of the land and the sea, and Who sends the winds as heralds of glad tidings, going before His mercy (rain)? Is there any god with Allaah? High Exalted be Allaah above all that they associate as partners (to Him)!
Is not He (better than your so-called gods) Who originates creation, and shall thereafter repeat it, and Who provides for you from heaven and earth? Is there any god with Allaah? Say: ‘bring forth your proofs, if you are truthful’
Say: ‘None on the heavens and the earth knows the unseen except Allaah, nor can they perceive when they shall be resurrected.’”
This is a selection of clear aayaat that include the answer to your question. We invite you to join the community of the believers and to enter the religion of Islam which Allaah has chosen as the religion for all mankind. Peace be upon those who follow true Guidance.

Islam Q&A

Is it possible to give the mushrikoon (polytheists, those who associate others with Allaah) proof of the oneness of Allaah?

Praise be to Allaah.
The entire universe, in the way it is created and the way it is controlled, bears witness to the oneness of Allaah:
“Surely, His is the creation and commandment. Blessed is Allaah, the Lord of the ‘Aalameen (mankind, jinn and all that exists)!
[al-A’raaf 7:54 – interpretation of the meaning]
The creation of the heavens and the earth, the alternation of night and day, the different kinds of inanimate objects, plants and fruits, the creation of humans and animals… all of that indicates that the Almighty Creator is One with no partner or associate:
“That is Allaah, your Lord, the Creator of all things, Laa ilaaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He). How then are you turning away (from Allaah, by worshipping others instead of Him)?[Ghaafir 40:62 – interpretation of the meaning]
The variety and greatness of these created things, the perfect way in which they are formed, the way in which they are maintained and controlled, all indicate that the Creator is One and that He does as He wills and rules and decides as He wants:
“Allaah is the Creator of all things, and He is the Wakeel (Trustee, Disposer of affairs, Guardian) over all things”
[al-Zumar 39:62 – interpretation of the meaning]
All of the above indicate that this universe has a Creator, that this dominion has a Sovereign, that behind these forms is One Who gives them shape:
“He is Allaah, the Creator, the Inventor of all things, the Bestower of forms. To Him belong the Best Names”
[al-Hashr 59:24 – interpretation of the meaning]
The soundness of the heavens and the earth, the order of the universe, the harmony among created things, all indicate that the Creator is One, with no partner or associate:
“Had there been therein (in the heavens and the earth) aalihah (gods) besides Allaah, then verily, both would have been ruined. Glorified be Allaah, the Lord of the Throne, (High is He) above all that (evil) they associate with Him!”[al-Anbiya’ 21:22 – interpretation of the meaning]
These great created things either created themselves – which is impossible – or man created himself then created them – which is also impossible:
Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Nay, but they have no firm Belief”[al-Toor 52:35-36 – interpretation of the meaning]
Reason, Revelation and the original state of man (fitrah) all indicate that this universe has One Who brought into being, that these created things have a Creator Who is Ever-Living and Eternal, All-Knowing and All-Aware, Powerful and Almighty, Kind and Most Merciful. He has the Most Beautiful Names and Sublime Attributes and He knows all things. Nothing is beyond His control, and there is nothing like unto Him:
“And your Ilaah (God) is One Ilaah (God — Allaah), Laa ilaaha illa Huwa (there is none who has the right to be worshipped but He), the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful
[al-Baqarah 2:163 – interpretation of the meaning]
The existence of Allaah is something that is there is no excuse for not knowing. It is the matter of common sense:
“Their Messengers said: What! Can there be a doubt about Allaah, the Creator of the heavens and the earth?”
[Ibraaheem 14:10 – interpretation of the meaning]
Allaah has created people with the natural instinct (fitrah) to affirm His Lordship and Oneness, but the shayaateen (devils) came to the sons of Adam and caused them to deviate from their religion. According to a hadeeth qudsi, “I created all My slaves as haneefs (monotheists), but the shayaateen (devils) came to them and made them deviate from their religion, and they forbade them that which I had permitted to them.” (Narrated by Muslim, no. 2865)
Among them are those who deny the existence of Allaah, and those who worship the Shaytaan, and those who worship man. And there are those who worship the dinar [money], or fire, or genital organs, or animals. And there are some who associate in worship with Him a stone from the earth or a star in the sky.
These things which are worshipped instead of Allaah, cannot create or provide; they cannot hear or see, or bring benefits or cause harm. So how can they worship them instead of Allaah?
“Are many different lords (gods) better or Allaah, the One, the Irresistible?”[Yoosuf 12:39 – interpretation of the meaning]
Allaah has condemned those who worship these idols which cannot hear, see or think:
“Verily, those whom you call upon besides Allaah are slaves like you. So call upon them and let them answer you if you are truthful.
Have they feet wherewith they walk? Or have they hands wherewith they hold? Or have they eyes wherewith they see? Or have they ears wherewith they hear?”
[al-A’raaf 7:194-195 – interpretation of the meaning]
“Say (O Muhammad to mankind): ‘How do you worship besides Allaah something which has no power either to harm or benefit you? But it is Allaah Who is the All‑Hearer, All‑Knower”
[al-Maa'idah 5:76 – interpretation of the meaning]
How ignorant man is of his Lord Who created him and provides for him. How he rejects Him and forgets Him, and worships others instead of Him:
“Verily, it is not the eyes that grow blind, but it is the hearts which are in the breasts that grow blind”
[al-Hajj 22:46 – interpretation of the meaning]
Glorified be Allaah far above that which they associate with Him. Praise be to Allaah the Lord of the Worlds:
“Say (O Muhammad): Praise and thanks be to Allaah, and peace be on His slaves whom He has chosen (for His Message)! Is Allaah better, or (all) that you ascribe as partners (to Him)?” (Of course, Allaah is Better).
Is not He (better than your gods) Who created the heavens and the earth, and sends down for you water (rain) from the sky, whereby We cause to grow wonderful gardens full of beauty and delight? It is not in your ability to cause the growth of their trees. Is there any ilaah (god) with Allaah? Nay, but they are a people who ascribe equals (to Him)!
Is not He (better than your gods) Who has made the earth as a fixed abode, and has placed rivers in its midst, and has placed firm mountains therein, and has set a barrier between the two seas (of salt and sweet water)? Is there any ilaah (god) with Allaah? Nay, but most of them know not!
Is not He (better than your gods) Who responds to the distressed one, when he calls on Him, and Who removes the evil, and makes you inheritors of the earth, generations after generations? Is there any ilaah (god) with Allaah? Little is that you remember!
Is not He (better than your gods) Who guides you in the darkness of the land and the sea, and Who sends the winds as heralds of glad tidings, going before His Mercy (rain)? Is there any ilaah (god) with Allaah? High Exalted be Allaah above all that they associate as partners (to Him)!
Is not He (better than your so‑called gods) Who originates creation, and shall thereafter repeat it, and Who provides for you from heaven and earth? Is there any ilaah (god) with Allaah? Say: ‘Bring forth your proofs, if you are truthful’”
[al-Naml 27:59-64 – interpretation of the meaning]

From Usool al-Deen al-Islami by Shaykh Muhammad ibn Ibraaheem al-Tuwayjri

I am debating with a Christian and he said to me that God has a spirit. My question is: does Allaah have a spirit (a spirit like the spirit of man, angels and all other creatures). Is the spirit something that is created or what?.

Praise be to Allaah.
No one has the right to describe Allaah except in the way in which He has described Himself or His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) has described Him, because no one knows more about Allaah than Allaah, and no created being has more knowledge of his Creator than the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Say, Do you know better or does Allaah?”
[al-Baqarah 2:140]
“And follow not (O man, i.e., say not, or do not, or witness not) that of which you have no knowledge. Verily, the hearing, and the sight, and the heart of each of those ones will be questioned (by Allaah)”
[al-Isra’ 17:36]
The spirit or soul is not one of the attributes of Allaah, rather it is one of the things that have been created by Allaah. It is mentioned in conjunction with Allaah in some texts by way of honouring, for Allaah is its Creator and Sovereign, He takes it (in death) whenever He wills and He sends it whenever He wills.
What we say about the spirit is the same as what we say about the “House of Allaah”, the “she-camel of Allaah”, the “slaves of Allaah” and the “Messenger of Allaah”. All of these created things are mentioned in conjunction with Allaah by way of honouring.
Among the texts in which the spirit is mentioned in conjunction with Allaah is the verse (interpretation of the meaning):
“Then He fashioned him in due proportion, and breathed into him the soul [lit. “His soul”] (created by Allaah for that person)”
[al-Sajdah 32:9]
This is speaking of Adam (peace be upon him).
Allaah also says concerning Adam (interpretation of the meaning):
“So, when I have fashioned him completely and breathed into him (Adam) the soul which I created for him [lit. “My soul”], then fall (you) down prostrating yourselves unto him”
[al-Hijr 15:29]
And Allaah says:
“She placed a screen (to screen herself) from them; then We sent to her Our Ruh [angel Jibreel (Gabriel)], and he appeared before her in the form of a man in all respects.
18. She said: ‘Verily, I seek refuge with the Most Gracious (Allaah) from you, if you do fear Allaah.’
19. (The angel) said: ‘I am only a messenger from your Lord, (to announce) to you the gift of a righteous son.’”
[Maryam 19:17-19]
Here the word “rooh” (spirit) refers to the slave and Messenger of Allaah Jibreel, whom He sent to Maryam. Allaah mentions him here in conjunction with Himself in the phrase roohuna (Our rooh or spirit) by way of honouring him. Here He is mentioning a created being in conjunction with his Creator.
In the lengthy hadeeth about intercession it says: “Then Moosa will come and will say: ‘I am not able for it; rather go to ‘Eesa for he is the spirit of (i.e., created by) Allaah and a Word from Him.’” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 7510; Muslim, 193.
Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Simply mentioning something in conjunction with Allaah does not mean that that thing is a Divine attribute, rather specific created things may be mentioned in conjunction with Allaah and their attributes are not divine attributes, according to scholarly consensus – as in the phrases, “the House of Allaah”, the “she-camel of Allaah”, the “slaves of Allaah”. The same also applies to the phrase “the spirit (rooh) of Allaah” according to the earliest generations of the Muslims and their imams and their common folk. But if something that is one of His attributes and is not an attribute shared by anyone else is mentioned in conjunction with Him, such as the speech of Allaah, the knowledge of Allaah, the hand of Allaah, and so on, then this is one of His attributes.
End quote from al-Jawaab al-Saheeh, 4/414.
This principle was mentioned by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah in several places. The point is that things which are mentioned in conjunction with Allaah are of two types:
1 – Entities which exist separately. These are mentioned in conjunction with Allaah by way of honouring, such as the House of Allaah and the she-camel of Allaah, and also the spirit (rooh) of Allaah, which is not a divine attribute, rather it is something that exists separately. Hence the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, according to the lengthy hadeeth of al-Bara’ ibn ‘Aazib which describes how man dies and his soul or spirit (rooh) comes out: “It comes out flowing like a drop of water from the mouth of a vessel… and he (the Angel of Death) takes it, and when he takes it they (the angels) do not leave it in his hand for an instant but they take it and put it in that shroud with that perfume… and there comes out from it a smell like the finest fragrance of musk on the face of the earth, and they ascend with it…”
See the report of this hadeeth in Ahkaam al-Janaa’iz ib by al-Albaani, p. 198
The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When the soul (rooh) is taken, the eyes follow it.” Narrated by Muslim, 920. In other words, when the soul is taken the eyes follow it, watching to see where it goes. All of this indicates that the soul is something that exists separately.
2 – Attributes that do not exist separately, rather they need an entity to belong to, such as knowledge, will and power. If it is said, “the knowledge of Allaah”, the “will of Allaah” and so on, this is mentioning the attribute in conjunction with the One to Whom it belongs.
Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in his book al-Rooh:
… Does the rooh exist from eternity or is it something that is created?
Then he said: This is an issue which some scholars got wrong and many groups of the sons of Adam went astray concerning it, but Allaah has guided the followers of His Messenger to the clear truth concerning it. The Messengers (blessings and peace be upon them) are unanimously agreed that the soul is created and taught and trained. This is a basic belief in the religion of the Messengers (blessings and peace be upon them), just as it is a basic belief in their religion that the universe is created, and that physical bodies will be resurrected, and that Allaah alone is the Creator and everything besides Him is created.
Then he quoted al-Haafiz Muhammad ibn Nasr al-Marwazi as saying: There is no dispute among the Muslims concerning the fact that the souls (arwaah) that are in Adam and his sons and ‘Eesa and other sons of Adam are all created by Allaah, who created them and fashioned them and made them, then He mentioned them in conjunction with Himself as He mentioned all His creation in conjunction with himself, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And has subjected to you all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth”
[al-Jaathiyah 45:13]
End quote from al-Rooh, p. 144
Some people may be confused about what Allaah says about ‘Eesa (peace be upon him) in the verse (interpretation of the meaning):
“The Messiah ‘Eesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), was (no more than) a Messenger of Allaah and His Word, (“Be!” — and he was) which He bestowed on Maryam (Mary) and a spirit (Rooh) created by Him [lit. from Him]”
[al-Nisa’ 4:171]
They think, as the Christians do, that the word min (lit. from) implies being part of Him and that the Rooh (spirit) is a part of Allaah. In fact the word min here implies that this Spirit comes from Allaah, its starting point and origin is with Allaah, because He is its Creator and Controller.
Ibn Katheer (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
The words in the verse and hadeeth, “a Spirit (Rooh) from Him” are like the verse (interpretation of the meaning):
“And has subjected to you all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth; it is all as a favour and kindness from Him”
“From Him” means that it is created by Him and comes from Him, not from Him in the sense of being part of Him, as the Christians say. Rather it is referring to the starting point of that soul, as in the first verse quoted. Mujaahid said that the phrase “And a Spirit from Him” means a Messenger from Him. Others said that it means love from Him, but the former is more correct, which is that he is a created being from a created soul, and the soul is mentioned in conjunction with Allaah by way of honouring, just as the she-camel and the House are mentioned in conjunction with Allaah in other verses (interpretation of the meaning):
“This she‑camel of Allaah is a sign unto you”
[al-A’raaf 7:73]
“and sanctify My House for those who circumambulate it”
[al-Hajj 22:26]
And it says in the saheeh hadeeth: “Enter upon my Lord in His House”; it is mentioned in conjunction with Allaah by way of honouring. All of this is of the same type and comes under one heading.
End quote from Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 1/784
Al-Aloosi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: It is narrated that a skilled Christian doctor of al-Rasheed debated with ‘Ali ibn al-Husayn al-Waaqidi al-Marwazi one day and said to him: “In your Book there is something which indicates that ‘Eesa (peace be upon him) is part of Allaah,” and he recited this verse to him (interpretation of the meaning):
“The Messiah ‘Eesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), was (no more than) a Messenger of Allaah and His Word, (“Be!” — and he was) which He bestowed on Maryam (Mary) and a spirit (Rooh) created by Him [lit. from Him]”
Al-Waaqidi recited the verse (interpretation of the meaning):
“And has subjected to you all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth; it is all as a favour and kindness from Him”
and said: Then that means that all things must also be a part of Him, exalted and glorified be He. The Christian ceased his arguments and became Muslim, and al-Rasheed rejoiced greatly.
And he said (may Allaah have mercy on him): The Christians have no proof for their claim to be honouring ‘Eesa (peace be upon him) with regard to the Spirit being mentioned in conjunction with God, because this is also mentioned with regard to things other than him. In the Gospel of Luke it says that Jesus said to his disciples:
“…how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him”
Luke 11:13 (NIV)
In the Gospel of Matthew it says that John the Baptist was filled with the Holy Spirit when he was in his mother’s womb.
In the Old Testament it says that God said to Moses:
“Bring me seventy of Israel's elders … I will take of the Spirit that is on you and put the Spirit on them.”
Numbers 11:16-17 (NIV)
It also says concerning Joseph:
“So Pharaoh asked them, ‘Can we find anyone like this man, one in whom is the spirit of God?’”
Genesis 41:38 (NIV)
It also says in the Old Testament that the spirit of God descended upon Daniel… and there are other such verses.
End quote from Rooh al-Ma’aani, 6/25.
It says in the Gospel of Luke:
“and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit”
Luke 1:41 (NIV)
“Now there was a man in Jerusalem called Simeon, who was righteous and devout. He was waiting for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him.
It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not die before he had seen the Lord's Christ [Messiah].
Moved by the Spirit, he went into the temple courts”
Luke 2:25-27 (NIV)
This clearly shows that the Spirit is an angel who brings revelation, and that ‘Eesa (peace be upon him), the “Lord’s Christ (i.e., Messiah)” is a servant of God. God is the One Who anointed him and made him the Christ or Messiah.
And ... Allaah ... knows ... best.
Islam Q&A

I have read and heard a great deal about the virtues of attaining true belief in Allaah, and I would like you to explain to me in detail the meaning of belief in Allaah in a way that will help me to attain true faith and to keep away from everything that goes against the teachings of our Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and the way of his companions.

Praise be to Allaah.
Faith in Allaah means believing firmly in His existence, Lordship and Divinity, and in His names and attributes.
Faith in Allaah implies four things, whoever believes in them is a true believer.
1 – Belief in the existence of Allaah.
The existence of Allaah is something indicated by reason and by man's innate nature, let alone the large amount of shar’i evidence to that effect.
(i) The evidence of man’s innate nature that Allaah exists: every man has been created with an innate belief in his Creator without having to first think about it or be taught, and no one deviates from this innate nature except the one who has been exposed to misguiding influences. Hence the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no child who is not born in a state of fitrah (the natural inclination of man), but his parents make him a Jew, a Christian or a Magian.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1358; Muslim, 2658.
(ii) The evidence of reason that Allaah exists: all these created things, past, present and future, must have a Creator Who brought them into existence, because it is not possible for them to have created themselves or to have come into existence by accident.
It is impossible for them to have come into existence by themselves because a thing cannot create itself: before it existed it was non-existent, so how could it be a creator?! And it is impossible for them to have come into existence by accident, because everything that happens must have a cause. Moreover, this creation is done in a wondrous and precise manner, and every created being is in harmony with the rest of creation, and there is a strong connection between cause and effect. All of this makes it impossible that this universe could have come into being accidentally, because what happens accidentally does not happen in a precise and perfect manner, so how could it remain so precisely balanced?
If it is not possible for these things to have created themselves or to have come into existence by accident, then there must be One Who brought them into existence, namely Allaah the Lord of the Worlds.
Allaah has mentioned this rational evidence and definitive proof in Soorat al-Toor, where He says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Were they created by nothing? Or were they themselves the creators?”
[al-Toor 52:35]
They were not created without a Creator, and they did not create themselves, so their Creator must be Allaah, may He be blessed and exalted. Hence when Jubayr ibn Mut’im heard the Messenger of Allaah (S) reciting Soorat al-Toor, and he reached these verses (interpretation of the meaning):
Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Nay, but they have no firm Belief.
Or are with them the treasures of your Lord? Or are they the tyrants with the authority to do as they like?”
[al-Toor 52:35-37]
Jabeer was a mushrik at that time, and said: “My heart almost soared, and that was the first moment that faith entered my heart.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari in several places.
We will give you an example that will help to explain that:
If a person were to tell you of a beautiful palace, surrounded by gardens among which rivers flowed, filled with furniture and couches, decorated with all kinds of luxuries and adornments, and told you that this palace and all that it contains created itself, or came into existence like that by accident without anyone building it, you would hasten to deny that and regard it as a lie, and you would regard this as foolish speech. So after that can it be possible that this wondrous, vast and well balanced universe with its earth, heavens and stars, could have created itself or come into being by accident with no Creator?!
This rational evidence was understood by a Bedouin who lived in the desert and who expressed it most eloquently, when he was asked, “How do you know your Lord?” He said: “If you see the camel dung you know that a camel has passed this way, and if you see a footstep you know that a person has passed this way, so the heaven with its starts and the earth with its mountain passes and the oceans with their high waves all point to the existence of the All-Hearing, All-Seeing.”
2 – Belief in the Lordship of Allaah.
i.e., belief that He alone is the Lord, with no partner or helper.
The Lord (Rabb) is the One Who has the power of creation, dominion and control. There is no Creator except Allaah, no Sovereign except Allaah, no controller of affairs except Allaah. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Surely, His is the creation and commandment”
[al-A’raaf 7:54]
“Say (O Muhammad): ‘Who provides for you from the sky and the earth? Or who owns hearing and sight? And who brings out the living from the dead and brings out the dead from the living? And who disposes the affairs?’ They will say: ‘Allaah.’ Say: ‘Will you not then be afraid of Allaah’s punishment (for setting up rivals in worship with Allaah)?’”
[Yoonus 10:31]
“He manages and regulates (every) affair from the heavens to the earth; then it (affair) will go up to Him”
[al-Sajdah 32:5]
“Such is Allaah, your Lord; His is the kingdom. And those, whom you invoke or call upon instead of Him, own not even a Qitmeer (the thin membrane over the date stone)”
[Faatir 35:13]
Think about what Allaah says in Soorat al-Faatihah (interpretation of the meaning):
“The Only Owner (and the Only Ruling Judge) of the Day of Recompense (i.e. the Day of Resurrection) [Maaliki Yaawm il-deen]”
[al-Faatihah 1:4]
And there is an alternative reading, Maliki yawm il-deen. If we combine the two readings we will see a wondrous meaning, for the Malik (King) has more power and authority than the Maalik (Owner), but a king may sometimes be a king in name only, with no control over affairs, in which case he is a king but not an owner. But as Allaah is both Malik and Maalik, then this is confirmation both of His Sovereignty and His control over all affairs.
3 – Belief in His Divinity
i.e., that He is the One True God, with no partner or associate.
Al-Ilaah (God) means the One Who is loved, i.e., the One Who is worshipped out of love and veneration. This is what is meant by Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah (there is no god but Allaah), i.e., there is none who is rightfully worshipped except Allaah. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And your Ilaah (God) is One Ilaah (God — Allaah), Laa Ilaaha illa Huwa (there is none who has the right to be worshipped but He), the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful”
[al-Baqarah 2:163]
“Allaah bears witness that Laa ilaaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), and the angels, and those having knowledge (also give this witness); (He always) maintains His creation in justice. Laa ilaaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), the All‑Mighty, the All-Wise”
[Aal ‘Imraan 3:18]
Everything that is taken as a god alongside Allaah and worshipped instead of Him, its divinity is false. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“That is because Allaah He is the Truth (the only True God of all that exists, Who has no partners or rivals with Him), and what they (the polytheists) invoke besides Him, it is Baatil (falsehood). And verily, Allaah He is the Most High, the Most Great”
[al-Hajj 22:62]
Calling them gods does not give them the rights of divinity. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“They are but names which you have named you and your fathers for which Allaah has sent down no authority”
[al-Najm 53:23]
Allaah tells us that Yoosuf (peace be upon him) said to the prison guard (interpretation of the meaning):
“Are many different lords (gods) better or Allaah, the One, the Irresistible?
You do not worship besides Him but only names which you have named (forged) — you and your fathers — for which Allaah has sent down no authority”
[Yoosuf 12:39-40]
No one deserves to be worshipped or singled out for worship except Allaah, and no one has any share in this right with Him, no angel who is close to Him nor any Prophet who was sent. Hence the call of all the Messengers, from the first to the last of them, was the call to say Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And We did not send any Messenger before you (O Muhammad) but We revealed to him (saying): Laa ilaaha illa Ana [none has the right to be worshipped but I (Allaah)], so worship Me (Alone and none else)”
[al-Anbiya’ 21:35]
“And verily, We have sent among every Ummah (community, nation) a Messenger (proclaiming): “Worship Allaah (Alone), and avoid (or keep away from) Taaghoot (all false deities, i.e. do not worship Taaghoot besides Allaah)”
[al-Nahl 16:36]
But the mushrikeen rejected that and took other gods instead of Allaah, which they worshipped alongside Allaah, seeking their support and help.
4 – Belief in His Names and Attributes.
i.e., affirming the names and attributes which Allaah has affirmed for Himself in His Book and in the Sunnah of His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in a manner that befits Him, without distorting or denying the meanings, or asking how, or likening Him to His creation. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And (all) the Most Beautiful Names belong to Allaah, so call on Him by them, and leave the company of those who belie or deny (or utter impious speech against) His Names. They will be requited for what they used to do”
[al-A’raaf 7:180]
This verse indicates that the Most Beautiful names belong to Allaah.
And Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“His is the highest description (i.e. none has the right to be worshipped but He, and there is nothing comparable unto Him) in the heavens and in the earth. And He is the All‑Mighty, the All‑Wise”
[al-Room 30:27]
This verse indicates that the attributes of perfection belong to Allaah, because “the highest description” is the attribute of perfection. These two verses prove that the most beautiful Names and the most sublime attributes belong to Allaah in general terms. With regard to the details of that, there is a great deal of information in the Qur’aan and Sunnah.
This field of knowledge, i.e., the names and attributes of Allaah, is one of the fields in which there has been a great deal of dispute and division among the ummah, and the ummah has split into various factions regarding the names and attributes of Allaah.
Our attitude towards these differences is that enjoined by Allaah when He said (interpretation of the meaning):
“(And) if you differ in anything amongst yourselves, refer it to Allaah and His Messenger, if you believe in Allaah and in the Last Day”
[al-Nisa’ 4:59]
We refer this dispute to the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah of His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), seeking guidance therein from the way in which the righteous salaf, the Sahaabah and Taabi’een, understood these verses and ahaadeeth, for they are the most knowledgeable of this ummah as to what Allaah and His Messenger meant. ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood spoke the truth when he described the companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) by saying: “Whoever wants to follow a path, let him follow the path of one who has died, for there is no guarantee that the one who is still alive will not be tempted. Those are the companions of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), the most pure in heart of this ummah and the most deep in knowledge, the least sophisticated and complicated, people whom Allaah chose to establish His religion and accompany His Prophet. So acknowledge their rights and adhere to their guidance, for they are following true guidance.”
Everyone who deviates from the path of the salaf in this matter is erring and going astray, and is following a path other than that of the believers, so he deserves the warning issued in the verse where Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And whoever contradicts and opposes the Messenger (Muhammad) after the right path has been shown clearly to him, and follows other than the believers’ way, We shall keep him in the path he has chosen, and burn him in Hell — what an evil destination!”
[al-Nisa’ 4:115]
Allaah has stipulated that in order to be correctly guided, we must believe what the companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) believed, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):
“So if they believe in the like of that which you believe then they are rightly guided”
[al-Baqarah 2:137]
Everyone who deviates and wanders far from the path of the salaf is lacking in guidance to the extent that he strays from the path of the salaf.
Based on this, then what we must do in this case is to affirm what Allaah has affirmed for Himself or what His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) has affirmed of the divine names and attributes; we should take the texts of the Qur’aan and Sunnah at face value, and believe in them as the companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did, as they are the best and most knowledgeable of this ummah (may Allaah be pleased with them).
But it should be noted that there are four things to be avoided, whoever falls into one of them has not attained true belief in the names and attributes of Allaah as he is obliged to do. Belief in the names and attributes of Allaah is not correct unless one avoids these four things, which are: tahreef (distortion), ta’teel (denial), tamtheel (likening Allaah to His creation) and takyeef (asking or discussing how).
Hence we say that what is meant by belief in the names and attributes of Allaah is “affirming the names and attributes which Allaah has affirmed for Himself in His Book and in the Sunnah of His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in a manner that befits Him, without distorting or denying the meanings, or asking how, or likening Him to His creation.”
There follows a brief explanation of these four things that are to be avoided:
(i) Tahreef (distorting)
What is meant is changing the meaning of the texts of the Qur’aan and Sunnah from their true meaning, which means affirming that the most beautiful names and sublime attributes belong to Allaah, to another meaning which was not intended by Allaah or His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).
For example:
They distort the meaning of the Hand of Allaah which is mentioned in many texts and say that it refers to His blessing or power.
(ii) Ta’teel (denying)
What is meant is denying the beautiful names and sublime attributes and saying that Allaah does not possess them or some of them.
Everyone who denies one of the names or attributes of Allaah that are proven in the Qur’aan or Sunnah does not truly believe in the names and attributes of Allaah.
(iii) Tamtheel (likening Allaah to His creation)
This means likening the attribute of Allaah to the attribute of a human being, such as saying that Allaah’s Hand is like a man’s hand, or that Allaah hears as a man hears, or that Allaah rose over the Throne like a man sitting on a chair… and so on. Undoubtedly likening the attributes of Allaah to the attributes of His creation is wrong and false. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“There is nothing like Him, and He is the All‑Hearer, the All‑Seer”
[al-Shoora 42:11]
(iv) Takyeef (discussing how)
This means discussing how the attributes of Allaah are, whereby a person tries to imagine or put into words how the attributes of Allaah are.
This is definitely invalid, and man cannot know this. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“but they will never compass anything of His Knowledge”
[Ta-Ha 20:110]
Whoever attains these four things believes truly in Allaah.
We ask Allaah to make us steadfast in faith and cause us to die therein.
And Allaah knows best.
See Risaalat Sharh Usool al-Eemaan by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen.

Islam Q&A

Islam Question and Answer

Offers insight into Muslim belief and practice through questions, with answers supervised by Shaykh Muhammad Saalih al-Munajjid

Introduction to Islam

Send A Question

http://www.islam-qa.com/en

I think the confusion regarding the crescent moon and star and other symbols associated with Islam by the un-informed is due in part to the nation of Islam using it. Therefore, we cannot over-emphasize that we use no symbols in worhship in Islam. People are just confused and mis-informed.

Belief in Allaah

1- Who do Muslims worship?.
2- The kuffaar ask who created Allaah.
3- People have evidence of the existence of God, and the wisdom behind His creation.
4- The mercy of Allaah towards His slaves .
5- Is there a Creator of this universe?.
6- The Oneness of Allaah .
7- He is debating with a Christian and is asking: Does God has a spirit?.
8- The meaning of belief in Allaah .

Who do Islams worship?

Praise be to Allaah.
Before answering, we would like to express our appreciation for your interest, at such a young age, in the religion of Islam. May Allaah open the door for you to find much blessing through your asking this question, and decree for you guidance such as you have never thought of. Allaah [the Arabic name for the One True God – Translator] says in the Qur’aan [the Holy Book of Islam] (interpretation of the meaning):
“This is the Guidance of Allaah with which He guides whomsoever He will of His slaves…” [al-An’aam 6:88]
“And whomsoever Allaah wills to guide, He opens his breast to Islam…” [al-An’aam 6:125]
With regard to this important question – who do the Muslims worship? – the answer is to be found in the Holy Qur’aan, which is the Scripture of Islam, and in the words of the Prophet of Islam, Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) who received Revelation from his Lord.
“In the name of Allaah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful. All praises and thanks be to Allaah, the Lord of the ‘Aalameen (mankind, jinns and all that exists), the Most Beneficient, the Most Merciful, the Only Owner (and the Only Ruling Judge) of the Day of Recompense (i.e., the Day of Resurrection). You (Alone) we worship, and You (alone) we ask for help (for each and every thing).” [al-Faatihah 1:1-5]
“O mankind! Worship your Lord (Allaah), Who has created you and those before you so that you may become al-muttaqoon (the pious).” [al-Baqarah 2:21]
“Such is Allaah, your Lord! None has the right to be worshipped but He, the Creator of all things. So worship Him (Alone), and He is the Wakeel (Trustee, Disposer of affairs, Guardian) over all things.”[al-An’aam 6:102]
“And your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him, and that you be dutiful to your parents. If one of them or both of them attain old age in your life, say not to them a word of disrespect, nor shout at them but address them in terms of honour.” [al-Isra’ 17:23]
Muslim worship Allaah [the One True God] whom all the Prophets worshipped. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Or were you witnesses when death approached Ya’qoob [Jacob]? When he said unto his sons, ‘What will you worship after me?’ They said, ‘We shall worship your God, the God of your fathers, Ibraaheem [Abraham], Ismaa’eel [Ishmael] and Is-haaq [Isaac], One God, and to Him we submit (in Islam).” [al-Baqarah 2:133]
The Muslims worship Allaah and call others who follow different religions to worship Allaah Alone, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Say [O Muhammad]: ‘O People of the Scripture [Jews and Christians]: come to a word that is just between us and you, that we worship none but Allaah, and we associate no partners with Him, and that none of us shall take others as lords besides Allaah.’ Then, if they turn away, say, ‘Bear witness that we are Muslims.’” [Aal ‘Imraan 3:64]
It is Allaah Alone Whom Nooh [Noah] (peace be upon him) called his people to worship, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Indeed, We sent Nooh [Noah] to his people and he said: ‘O my people! Worship Allaah! You have no other god but Him. Certainly, I fear for you the torment of a Great Day!.’” [al-A’raaf 7:59]
It is Allaah Alone whom the Messiah [Jesus] (peace be upon him) called people to worship, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Surely they have disbelieved who say: ‘Allaah is the Messiah [Jesus] son of Maryam [Mary].’ But the Messiah said: ‘O Children of Israel! Worship Allaah, my Lord and your Lord.’ Verily, whosoever sets up partners in worship with Allaah, then Allaah has forbidden Paradise for him, and the Fire will be his abode. And for the zaalimoon (polytheists and wrong-doers) there are no helpers.” [al-Maa’idah 5:73]
“And (remember) when Allaah will say (on the Day of Resurrection): ‘O ‘Eesa [Jesus], son of Maryam [Mary]! Did you say unto men: ‘Worship me and my mother as two gods besides Allaah?’ He will say: ‘Glory be to You! It was not for me to say what I had no right (to say). Had I said such a thing, You would surely have known it. You know what is in my inner-self though I do not know what is in Yours. You, only You, are the All-Knower of all that is hidden and unseen.
Never did I say to them aught except what You (Allaah) did command me to say: “Worship Allaah, my Lord and your Lord.” And I was a witness over them while I dwelt amongst them, but when You took me up, You were the Watcher over them, and You are a Witness to all things.’”[al-Maa’idah 5:116-117]
When Allaah spoke to His Prophet Moosa [Moses] (peace be upon him), He said (interpretation of the meaning):
“Verily, I am Allaah! None has the right to be worshipped but I, so worship Me, and perform al-Salaah [prayer] for My Remembrance.”[Ta-Ha 20:14]
Allaah commanded His Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) as follows (interpretation of the meaning):
“Say [O Muhammad]: ‘O mankind! If you are in doubt as to my religion (Islam), then (know that) I will never worship those whom you worship, besides Allaah. But I worship Allaah Who causes you to die, I am commanded to be one of the believers.” [Yoonus 10:104]
It is Him Alone, with no partner or associate, Whom the angels worship and do not worship anyone or anything besides Him, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):
“To Him belongs whosoever is in the heavens and on earth. And those who are near Him (i.e., the angels) are not too proud to worship Him, nor are they weary (of His worship).”[al-Anbiya’ 21:19]
Everything that is worshipped instead of Allaah can neither bring benefit nor cause harm, it can neither create nor provide. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Say (O Muhammad, to mankind); ‘How do you worship besides Allaah something which has no power either to harm or to benefit you? But it is Allaah Who is the All-Hearer, All-Knower.’” [al-Maa’idah 5:76]
“You worship besides Allaah only idols, and you only invent falsehood. Verily, those whom you worship besides Allaah have no power to give you provision, so seek your provision from Allaah (Alone), and worship Him (Alone), and be grateful to Him. To Him (Alone) you will be brought back.” [al-‘Ankaboot 29:17]
Having explained this, we must complete the topic by asking: why should we worship Allaah Alone with no partner or associate? The answer is as follows:
Firstly: because there is nothing and nobody else in the universe that deserves to be worshipped, for Allaah is the Creator and Sustainer, Who has created the universe out of nothing and has bestowed so many blessings upon us. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“So glorify Allaah, when you come up to the evening [i.e., offer the Maghrib (sunset) and ‘Isha’ (night) prayers], and when you enter the morning [I.e., offer the Fajr (morning) prayers].
And among His Signs is that the heaven and the earth stand by His Command, then afterwards when He will call you by single call, behold, you will come out from the earth (ie.e, from your graves, for reckoning and recompense).
So is there anyone or anything besides Allaah that deserves to be worshipped?
Secondly: Allaah did not create us except to worship Him, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And I (Allaah) created not the jinns and humans except they should worship Me (Alone).”[al-Dhaariyaat 51:56]
Thirdly: No one will be saved on the Day of Resurrection except those who used to worship Allaah truly and sincerely. After death Allaah will resurrect His slaves and call them to account, rewarding or punishing them according to their deeds. No one will be saved on that day except for those who used to worship Allaah Alone. The rest will be gathered into a Hell, a terrible fate! The Prophet of Islam, Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), was asked by his Companions: “Will we see our Lord on the Day of Resurrection?” He told them:
“Do you doubt that you can see the sun and the moon when the sky is clear?” We [his Companions] said, “No.” He said, “Then you should not doubt that you will see your Lord on that Day, you will see Him as you see them (the sun and moon).” Then he said, “A caller will call out, ‘Let every people go to that which they used to worship.’ So the worshippers of the cross will go with their cross, the worshippers of idols will go with their idols and the worshippers of every god will go with their gods, until there will be left those who used to worship Allaah, whether they were righteous or otherwise, and a few of the People of the Book [Jews and Christians]. Then Hell will be brought and shown to them as if it is a mirage. It will be said to the Jews, ‘What did you used to worship?’ They will say, ‘We used to worship ‘Uzayr, the son of God.’ It will be said, ‘You have lied. Allaah does not have a wife or son. What do you want?’ They will say, ‘We want something to drink.’ It will be said to them, ‘Drink!’ and they will fall into Hell. Then it will be said to the Christians, ‘What did you used to worship?’ They will say, ‘We used to worship the Messiah, the son of God.’ It will be said, ‘You have lied. Allaah does not have a wife or son. What do you want?’ They will say, ‘We want something to drink.’ It will be said to them, ‘Drink!’ and they will fall into Hell. Then there will be left those who used to worship Allaah, whether they were righteous or otherwise. It will be said to them, ‘What are you waiting for? All the people have gone.’ They will say, ‘We have separated from them and we need Him more today. We heard a caller saying that every people should follow that which they used to worship, so we are waiting for our Lord.’ He will say, ‘Al-Jabbaar [the Compeller, i.e., Allaah] will come…’ And He will say, ‘I am your Lord.’ They will say, ‘You are our Lord,’ but none will speak to Him except the Prophets… then every believer will prostrate to Him.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, no. 6886). These believers are the people of Paradise on whom shall be no fear neither shall they grieve, and they will dwell therein for ever.
We hope that this matter has now become clear. In conclusion we can say nothing except that which Allaah has said (interpretation of the meaning):
“Whoever goes right, then he goes right only for the benefit of his ownself. And whoever goes stray, then he goes astray to his own loss…” [al-Isra’ 17:15]
Peace be upon him who follows the guidance.

Islam Q&A

I tell non-muslims that Allah created everything in this universe. They say to me who created Allah ? How can Allah have been there since the beginning ?
How can i answer them ?

Praise be to Allaah.
This question which the Kuffaar have asked you is inherently false and self-contradictory. If we were to say – for the sake of argument – that someone created Allaah, then they would ask you, Who created the creator of the creator? Then, who created the creator of the creator of the creator?! And so on, ad infinitum. This is irrational and impossible.
All of creation goes back to the Creator Who created all things. No one created Him; He created everything other than Himself. This is what makes sense and is logical. This creator is Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted.
With regard to what our religion tells us, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us about this question, where it comes from, and how to respond to it.
Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “People will keep on asking question until someone will say, ‘Allaah created the universe, but who created Allaah?’ Whoever encounters anything like that, let him say, ‘Amantu Billaah (I believe in Allaah).’”
The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Shaytaan will come to one of you and say, ‘Who created the heaven? Who created the earth?’ He will say, ‘Allaah’” – then he mentioned something similar (to the previous report), and added, “And His Messengers.” [i.e., amantu Billaah wa Rusulihi = I believe in Allaah and His Messengers]
The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Shaytaan will come to one of you and say, ‘Who created such and such?’ until he says to him, ‘Who created your Lord?’ When it reaches that stage, let him seek refuge with Allaah [say A’oodhu Billaahi min ash-shaytaan ir-rajeem = I seek refuge with Allaah from the accursed Shaytaan] and stop thinking about it.”
The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Shaytaan will come to a person and say, ‘Who created such and such…’” and he narrated the whole report. (Imaam Muslim, 134).
In these ahaadeeth we see:
Where this question comes from – from the Shaytaan;
How to deal with it, which is:
to stop pursuing these thoughts and these tricks of the Shaytaan
to say, “I believe in Allaah and His Messengers”
to seek refuge with Allaah from the Shaytaan.
It was also reported that one should spit drily three times to one’s left, and recite Qul Huwa Allaahu ahad.
(See "Problems and Solutions" in the Shaykh’s Books section of this website).
3. With regard to the prior existence of Allaah, our Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) has told us about this, for example:
He (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “O Allaah, You are the First and there is nothing before You; O Allaah, You are the Last and there is nothing after You.” (Narrated by Muslim, 2713)
He (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah existed when there was nothing apart from Him.” According to another report: “There was nothing before Him.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari; the first report 3020; the second report 6982).
This is in addition to what is stated in the aayaat of the Qur’aan. The believer believes without a doubt, the kaafir denies and the munaafiq doubts. We ask Allaah to grant us sincere and certain faith with no doubts. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Islam Q&A

A non muslim friend of mine asked how i will prove existence of god and why has he given us life,and with what purpose. my answer did not satisfy him ,plese tell me what i should tell him?

Praise be to Allaah.
My dear Muslim brother, your efforts to call people to Allaah and explain the reality of Allaah’s existence make us very happy. Finding out about Allaah is in tune with the sound fitrah (natural inclinations of man) and with sound reasoning. How many there are who, once the truth becomes clear to them, they hasten to submit to Allaah (enter Islam). If each one of us was to do his duty towards his religion, a great deal of good would be achieved. So we congratulate you, our brother, for undertaking the mission of the Prophets and Messengers, and we give you the glad tidings of the great reward which you are promised, as your Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If Allaah were to guide one man at your hands, that would be better for you than red camels.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3/134; Muslim, 4/1872). “Red camels” are the best kind of camels.
Secondly:
With regard to proof of the existence of Allaah, it is obvious to anyone who ponders the matter, and there is no need for a lengthy discussion. When we ponder the matter, we find out that it is divided into three categories: instinctive evidence, tangible evidence and shar’i evidence. We will explain that to you further, in sha Allaah.
1 – Instinctive evidence:
Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:
The instinctive evidence that God exists is the strongest of all evidence for those who are not led astray by the devils. Hence Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“So set you (O Muhammad) your face towards the religion (of pure Islamic Monotheism) Haneef (worship none but Allaah Alone). Allaah’s Fitrah (i.e. Allaah’s Islamic Monotheism) with which He has created mankind” [al-Room 30:30]
Man’s sound nature (fitrah) testifies to the existence of God and man cannot turn away from that unless the devils mislead him; whoever is misled by the devils may not recognize this evidence.”
(From Sharh al-Safaareeniyyah)
Every person feels inside himself that he has a Lord and Creator, and he feels that he is in need of Him; if some major calamity befalls him he turns his hands, eyes and heart towards the heavens, seeking help from his Lord.
2 – Tangible evidence:
This refers to the things that exist in this universe; we see around us things that exist, such as trees, rocks, mankind, the earth, the heavens, seas, rivers…
If it is asked: these things are so many – who created them and is taking care of them?
The answer is that if these things came into being by accident, spontaneously and with no cause, then there is no one who knows how they were created, and that is one possibility. But there is another possibility, which is that these things created themselves and are taking care of themselves. And there is a third possibility, which is that there is Someone Who created them. When we look at these three possibilities, we find that the first and the second are impossible. If we reject the first and the second, then the third must be the one which is correct, which is that these things have a Creator who created them, and that Creator is Allaah. This is what is stated in the Qur’aan, where Allaah says:
Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Nay, but they have no firm Belief” [al-Toor 52:35]
Moreover, when were these mighty things created? For all these years, who is it that has decreed that they should remain in this world and has granted them the means of abiding?
The answer is, it is Allaah who has given to each thing that which is suited to it and will guarantee its survival. Do you not see the beautiful green plants; when Allaah cuts off their water supply, can they live? No, rather they become dry stalks. If you ponder all things you will find that they are dependent upon Allaah. Were it not for Allaah, nothing would remain.
And Allaah has created everything to do that for which it is suited. So camels, for example, are for riding. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Do they not see that We have created for them of what Our Hands have created, the cattle, so that they are their owners.
And We have subdued them unto them so that some of them they have for riding and some they eat” [Yaa-Seen 36:71-72]
Look at the camel and how Allaah has created it strong, with a strong back, so that it can be used for riding and it is able to endure harsh conditions which other animals cannot bear.
If you look at other creatures you will find that they are suited to the purposes for which they were created. Glory be to Allaah.
Examples of tangible evidence include the following:
When calamities befall people this points to the existence of the Creator, for example, when they call upon Allaah and Allaah responds to their prayer; this points to the existence of Allaah. Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said: “When the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prayed for rain, he said, ‘Allaahumma aghithnaa, Allaahumma aghithnaa (O Allaah, send us rain, O Allaah, send us rain).’ Then a cloud came and it started to rain before he had even come down from the minbar. This points to the existence of the Creator.” (Sharh al-Safaareeniyyah).
3 – Shar’i evidence:
All divinely-revealed laws point to existence of Allaah. Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:
“All the divinely-revealed laws point to the existence of the Creator and to the perfect nature of His knowledge, wisdom and mercy, because these laws must have been prescribed by someone, and that Lawgiver is Allaah.” (From Sharh al-Safaareeniyyah).
With regard to your question: why did Allaah create us?
The answer is: so that we would worship Him, thank Him and remember Him, and do that which He has commanded us. You know that among mankind there are kaafirs and there are Muslims. This is because Allaah wants to test His slaves as to whether they will worship Him or worship others. That is after Allaah has showed the way to everyone. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Who has created death and life that He may test you which of you is best in deed” [al-Mulk 67:2]
“And I (Allaah) created not the jinn and mankind except that they should worship Me (Alone)” [al-Dhaariyaat 51:56]
We ask Allaah to enable us and you to do that which He loves and is pleased with, and to do more da’wah and work for the sake of His religion. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad.

How merciful is Allah, because i heard he loves you more than 70 mothers. Is that true? please explain?.

Praise be to Allaah.
Allaah is the Most Merciful, Most Compassionate, and He is the most Merciful of those who show mercy. His Mercy encompasses all things. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“and My Mercy embraces all things”
[al-A’raaf 7:156]
In Saheeh Muslim it is narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah has one hundred parts of mercy, of which He sent down one between the jinn, mankind, the animals and the insects, by means of which they are compassionate and merciful to one another, and by means of which wild animals are kind to their offspring. And Allaah has kept back ninety-nine parts of mercy with which to be merciful to His slaves of the Day of Resurrection.”
Muslim, al-Tawbah, 6908.
It was narrated that ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab said: “Some prisoners were brought to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and there was a woman among the prisoners who was searching (for her child). When she found her child she embraced him and put him to her breast. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to us, ‘Do you think that this woman would throw her child in the fire?’ We said, ‘No, by Allaah, not if she is able not to.’ The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, ‘Allaah is more merciful to His slaves than this woman is to her child.’”
Agreed upon. Al-Bukhaari, 5653; Muslim, 6912.
One aspect of the mercy of Allaah to His slaves is that He sent the Messengers and revealed the Books and laws to organize their lives according to the ways of wisdom, far removed from hardship and difficulty. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And We have sent you (O Muhammad) not but as a mercy for the ‘Aalameen (mankind, jinn and all that exists)”
[al-Anbiya’ 21:107]
The mercy of Allaah is what will admit His believing slaves to Paradise on the Day of Resurrection. No one will ever enter Paradise because of his deeds alone, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No one’s deeds will ever admit him to Paradise.” They said, “Not even you, O Messenger of Allaah?” He said, “No, not even me, unless Allaah shower me with His Mercy. So try to be near to perfection. And no one should wish for death; he is either doing good so he will do more of that, or he is doing wrong so he may repent.”
Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5349; Muslim, 7042
So the believer must remain in a state between hoping for the mercy of Allaah and fearing His punishment, for Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Declare (O Muhammad) unto My slaves, that truly, I am the Oft-Forgiving, the Most-Merciful.
And that My Torment is indeed the most painful torment”
[al-Hijr 15:49-50]
With regard to your saying that Allaah loves us more than seventy mothers, Allaah knows best concerning that. It is sufficient for us to know that the mercy of Allaah encompasses all things. O Allaah, have mercy upon us, O Most merciful of those who show mercy.

Islam Q&A

Do you think there is any evidence that the universe has been designed by an intelligent and powerful creator?

Praise be to Allaah.
We thank you for your question, and would like to answer by quoting a number of aayaat (verses) from the Book of Allaah (the Qur’aan – the scripture of Islam), then you can think to yourself about the matter and if the truth becomes clear to you, you will have no choice but to follow it.
“Were they created by nothing, or were they themselves the creators?
Or are with them the treasures of your Lord? Or are they the tyrants with the authority to do as they like?”[al-Toor 52:35-37]
“Verily, the creation of the heavens and the earth, and in the alternation of night and day, and the ships which sail through the sea with that which is of use to mankind, and the water (rain) which Allaah sends down from the sky and makes the earth alive therewith after its death, and the moving (living) creatures of all kinds that He has scattered therein, and in the veering of winds and clouds which are held between the sky and the earth, are indeed aayaat (proofs, evidences, signs) for people of understanding.”[al-Baqarah 2:164]
“It is He Who sends down water (rain) from the sky, and with it We bring forth vegetation of all kinds, and out of it We bring forth green stalks, from which We bring forth thick clustered grain. And out of the date-palm and its spathe come forth clusters of dates hanging low and near, and gardens of grapes, olives and pomegranates, each similar (in kind) yet different (in variety and taste). Look at their fruits when they begin to bear, and the ripeness thereof. Verily! In these things there are signs for people who believe.”[al-An’aam 6:99]
“And it is He Who sends the winds as heralds of glad tidings, going before His Mercy (rain), till when they have carried a heavy-laden cloud, We drive it to a land that is dead, then We cause water (rain) to descend thereon. Then We produce every kind of fruit therewith. Similarly, We shall raise up the dead, so that you may remember or take heed.”[al-A’raaf 7:57]
“Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens and the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?”[al-Anbiya’ 21:30]
“Is not He (better than your gods) Who created the heavens and the earth, and sends down for you water (rain) from the sky, whereby We cause to grow wonderful gardens full of beauty and delight? It is not in your ability to cause the growth of their trees. Is there any god with Allaah? Nay, but they are a people who ascribe equals (to Him)!”[al-Naml 27:60]
“He has created the heavens and the earth without any pillars that you see, and has set on the earth firm mountains, lest it should shake with you. And He has scattered therein moving (living) creatures of all kinds. And We send down water (rain) from the sky, and We cause (plants) of every goodly kind to grow therein.”[Luqmaan 31:10]
“See you not (O men) that Allaah has subjected for you whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the earth, and has completed and perfected His Graces upon you, (both) apparent (i.e., Islamic Monotheism, and the lawful pleasures of this world, including health, good looks, etc.) and hidden (i.e., one’s Faith in Allaah, knowledge, wisdom, guidance for doing righteous deeds, and also the pleasures and delights of the Hereafter in Paradise, etc.)? Yet of mankind in he who disputes about Allaah without knowledge or guidance or a Book giving light!”[Luqmaan 31:20]
“And the two seas (kinds of water) are not alike, this fresh, sweet and pleasant to drink, and that saltish and bitter. And from them both you eat fresh tender meat (fish), and derive the ornaments that you wear. And you see the ships cleaving (the sea-water as they sail through it), that you may seek of His Bounty, and that you may give thanks.”[Faatir 35:12]
“Have you not seen how your Lord spread the shadow? If He willed, He could have made it still – then We have made the sun its guide [i.e., after the sunrise, it (the shadow) contracts and vanishes at noon, and then again appears in the afternoon with the decline of the sun, and had there been no sunlight, there would have been no shadow]
Then We withdraw it to Us – a gradual concealed withdrawal.
And it is He Who makes the night a covering for you, and the sleep (as) repose, and makes the day nushoor (i.e., getting up and going about here and there for daily work, etc., after one’s sleep at night or like resurrection after one’s death).
And it is He Who sends the winds as heralds of glad tidings, going before His Mercy (rain), and We send down pure water from the sky, -
That We may give life thereby to a dead land, and We give to drink thereof many of the cattle and men that We had created,”
[al-Furqaan 25:45-49]
“And it is He Who has let free the two seas (kinds of water), one palatable and sweet, and the other salt and bitter, and He has set a barrier and a complete partition between them.”
[al-Furqaan 25:53]
“And a sign for them is the dead land. We gave it life, and We brought forth from it grains, so that they eat thereof.
And We have made therein gardens of date-palms and grapes, and We have caused springs of water to gush forth therein.
So that they may eat of the fruit thereof, and their hands made it not. Will they not, then, give thanks?
Glory be to Him, Who has created all the pairs of that which the earth produces, as well as of their own (human) kind (male and female), and of that which they know not.
And a sing for them is the night. We withdraw therefrom the day, and behold, they are in darkness.
And the sun runs on its fixed course for a term (appointed). That is the Decree of the All-Mighty, the All-Knowing.
And the moon, We have measured for it mansions (to traverse) till it returns like the old dried curved date stalk.
It is not for the sun to overtake the moon, nor does the night outstrip the day. They all float, each in an orbit.
And a sign for them is that We bore their offspring in the laden ship (of Nooh).
And We have created for them of the like thereunto, so on them they ride.
And if We will, We shall drown them, and there will be no shout (or helper) for them (to hear their cry for help) nor will they be saved,
Unless it be a mercy from Us, and as an enjoyment for a while.”
[Yaa-Seen 36:33-44]
“We created you, then why do you believe not?
Then tell Me (about) the human semen that you emit.
Is it you who create it (i.e., make this semen into a perfect human being), or are We the Creator?
We have decreed death unto you all, and We are not unable,
To transfigure you and create you in (forms) that you know not.
And indeed, you have already known the first form of creation (i.e., the creation of Adam). Why then do you not remember or take heed?
Tell Me! The seed that you sow in the ground.
Is it you that make it grow, or are We the Grower?
Were it Our Will, We could crumble it to dry pieces, and you would be regretful (or left in wonderment),
(Saying), ‘We are indeed Mughramoon (i.e., ruined, or lost the money without any profit, or punished by the loss of all that we spent for cultivation, etc.)!
‘Nay, but we are deprived!’
Tell Me! The water that you drink,
Is it you who cause it from the rainclouds to come down, or are We the Causer of it to come down?
If We willed, We verily could make it salt (and undrinkable). Why then do you not give thanks (to Allaah)?
Tell Me! The fire which you kindle,
Is it you who made the tree thereof to grow, or are We the Grower?
We have made it a Reminder (for the Hell-fire, in the Hereafter); and an article of use for the travellers (and all others, in this world).
The glorify with praises the Name of your Lord, the Most Great.
So I swear by mawaaqi’ (setting to the mansions, etc.) of the stars (they traverse),
And verily, that is indeed a great oath, if you but knew,
That (this) is indeed an honourable recital (the Noble Qur’aan).”
[al-Waaqi’ah 56:57-77]
“So glorify Allaah, when you come up to the evening [i.e., offer the Maghrib (sunset) and ‘Isha’ (night) prayers], and when you enter the morning [i.e., offer the Fajr (morning) prayers].
And among His Signs is that the heaven and the earth stand by His Command, then afterwards when He will call you by single call, behold, you will come out from the earth (i.e, from your graves, for reckoning and recompense).
This is a selection of clear aayaat that include the answer to your question. We invite you to join the community of the believers and to enter the religion of Islam which Allaah has chosen as the religion for all mankind. Peace be upon those who follow true Guidance.

Islam Q&A

Is it possible to give the mushrikoon (polytheists, those who associate others with Allaah) proof of the oneness of Allaah?

Praise be to Allaah.
The entire universe, in the way it is created and the way it is controlled, bears witness to the oneness of Allaah:
“Surely, His is the creation and commandment. Blessed is Allaah, the Lord of the ‘Aalameen (mankind, jinn and all that exists)!
[al-A’raaf 7:54 – interpretation of the meaning]
The creation of the heavens and the earth, the alternation of night and day, the different kinds of inanimate objects, plants and fruits, the creation of humans and animals… all of that indicates that the Almighty Creator is One with no partner or associate:
“That is Allaah, your Lord, the Creator of all things, Laa ilaaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He). How then are you turning away (from Allaah, by worshipping others instead of Him)?[Ghaafir 40:62 – interpretation of the meaning]
The variety and greatness of these created things, the perfect way in which they are formed, the way in which they are maintained and controlled, all indicate that the Creator is One and that He does as He wills and rules and decides as He wants:
“Allaah is the Creator of all things, and He is the Wakeel (Trustee, Disposer of affairs, Guardian) over all things”
[al-Zumar 39:62 – interpretation of the meaning]
All of the above indicate that this universe has a Creator, that this dominion has a Sovereign, that behind these forms is One Who gives them shape:
“He is Allaah, the Creator, the Inventor of all things, the Bestower of forms. To Him belong the Best Names”
[al-Hashr 59:24 – interpretation of the meaning]
The soundness of the heavens and the earth, the order of the universe, the harmony among created things, all indicate that the Creator is One, with no partner or associate:
“Had there been therein (in the heavens and the earth) aalihah (gods) besides Allaah, then verily, both would have been ruined. Glorified be Allaah, the Lord of the Throne, (High is He) above all that (evil) they associate with Him!”[al-Anbiya’ 21:22 – interpretation of the meaning]
These great created things either created themselves – which is impossible – or man created himself then created them – which is also impossible:
Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Nay, but they have no firm Belief”[al-Toor 52:35-36 – interpretation of the meaning]
Reason, Revelation and the original state of man (fitrah) all indicate that this universe has One Who brought into being, that these created things have a Creator Who is Ever-Living and Eternal, All-Knowing and All-Aware, Powerful and Almighty, Kind and Most Merciful. He has the Most Beautiful Names and Sublime Attributes and He knows all things. Nothing is beyond His control, and there is nothing like unto Him:
“And your Ilaah (God) is One Ilaah (God — Allaah), Laa ilaaha illa Huwa (there is none who has the right to be worshipped but He), the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful
[al-Baqarah 2:163 – interpretation of the meaning]
The existence of Allaah is something that is there is no excuse for not knowing. It is the matter of common sense:
“Their Messengers said: What! Can there be a doubt about Allaah, the Creator of the heavens and the earth?”
[Ibraaheem 14:10 – interpretation of the meaning]
Allaah has created people with the natural instinct (fitrah) to affirm His Lordship and Oneness, but the shayaateen (devils) came to the sons of Adam and caused them to deviate from their religion. According to a hadeeth qudsi, “I created all My slaves as haneefs (monotheists), but the shayaateen (devils) came to them and made them deviate from their religion, and they forbade them that which I had permitted to them.” (Narrated by Muslim, no. 2865)
Among them are those who deny the existence of Allaah, and those who worship the Shaytaan, and those who worship man. And there are those who worship the dinar [money], or fire, or genital organs, or animals. And there are some who associate in worship with Him a stone from the earth or a star in the sky.
These things which are worshipped instead of Allaah, cannot create or provide; they cannot hear or see, or bring benefits or cause harm. So how can they worship them instead of Allaah?
“Are many different lords (gods) better or Allaah, the One, the Irresistible?”[Yoosuf 12:39 – interpretation of the meaning]
Allaah has condemned those who worship these idols which cannot hear, see or think:
“Verily, those whom you call upon besides Allaah are slaves like you. So call upon them and let them answer you if you are truthful.
Have they feet wherewith they walk? Or have they hands wherewith they hold? Or have they eyes wherewith they see? Or have they ears wherewith they hear?”
[al-A’raaf 7:194-195 – interpretation of the meaning]
“Say (O Muhammad to mankind): ‘How do you worship besides Allaah something which has no power either to harm or benefit you? But it is Allaah Who is the All‑Hearer, All‑Knower”
[al-Maa'idah 5:76 – interpretation of the meaning]
How ignorant man is of his Lord Who created him and provides for him. How he rejects Him and forgets Him, and worships others instead of Him:
“Verily, it is not the eyes that grow blind, but it is the hearts which are in the breasts that grow blind”
[al-Hajj 22:46 – interpretation of the meaning]
Glorified be Allaah far above that which they associate with Him. Praise be to Allaah the Lord of the Worlds:
“Say (O Muhammad): Praise and thanks be to Allaah, and peace be on His slaves whom He has chosen (for His Message)! Is Allaah better, or (all) that you ascribe as partners (to Him)?” (Of course, Allaah is Better).
Is not He (better than your gods) Who created the heavens and the earth, and sends down for you water (rain) from the sky, whereby We cause to grow wonderful gardens full of beauty and delight? It is not in your ability to cause the growth of their trees. Is there any ilaah (god) with Allaah? Nay, but they are a people who ascribe equals (to Him)!
Is not He (better than your gods) Who has made the earth as a fixed abode, and has placed rivers in its midst, and has placed firm mountains therein, and has set a barrier between the two seas (of salt and sweet water)? Is there any ilaah (god) with Allaah? Nay, but most of them know not!
Is not He (better than your gods) Who responds to the distressed one, when he calls on Him, and Who removes the evil, and makes you inheritors of the earth, generations after generations? Is there any ilaah (god) with Allaah? Little is that you remember!
Is not He (better than your gods) Who guides you in the darkness of the land and the sea, and Who sends the winds as heralds of glad tidings, going before His Mercy (rain)? Is there any ilaah (god) with Allaah? High Exalted be Allaah above all that they associate as partners (to Him)!
Is not He (better than your so‑called gods) Who originates creation, and shall thereafter repeat it, and Who provides for you from heaven and earth? Is there any ilaah (god) with Allaah? Say: ‘Bring forth your proofs, if you are truthful’”
[al-Naml 27:59-64 – interpretation of the meaning]

From Usool al-Deen al-Islami by Shaykh Muhammad ibn Ibraaheem al-Tuwayjri

I am debating with a Christian and he said to me that God has a spirit. My question is: does Allaah have a spirit (a spirit like the spirit of man, angels and all other creatures). Is the spirit something that is created or what?.

Praise be to Allaah.
No one has the right to describe Allaah except in the way in which He has described Himself or His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) has described Him, because no one knows more about Allaah than Allaah, and no created being has more knowledge of his Creator than the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Say, Do you know better or does Allaah?”
[al-Baqarah 2:140]
“And follow not (O man, i.e., say not, or do not, or witness not) that of which you have no knowledge. Verily, the hearing, and the sight, and the heart of each of those ones will be questioned (by Allaah)”
[al-Isra’ 17:36]
The spirit or soul is not one of the attributes of Allaah, rather it is one of the things that have been created by Allaah. It is mentioned in conjunction with Allaah in some texts by way of honouring, for Allaah is its Creator and Sovereign, He takes it (in death) whenever He wills and He sends it whenever He wills.
What we say about the spirit is the same as what we say about the “House of Allaah”, the “she-camel of Allaah”, the “slaves of Allaah” and the “Messenger of Allaah”. All of these created things are mentioned in conjunction with Allaah by way of honouring.
Among the texts in which the spirit is mentioned in conjunction with Allaah is the verse (interpretation of the meaning):
“Then He fashioned him in due proportion, and breathed into him the soul [lit. “His soul”] (created by Allaah for that person)”
[al-Sajdah 32:9]
This is speaking of Adam (peace be upon him).
Allaah also says concerning Adam (interpretation of the meaning):
“So, when I have fashioned him completely and breathed into him (Adam) the soul which I created for him [lit. “My soul”], then fall (you) down prostrating yourselves unto him”
[al-Hijr 15:29]
And Allaah says:
“She placed a screen (to screen herself) from them; then We sent to her Our Ruh [angel Jibreel (Gabriel)], and he appeared before her in the form of a man in all respects.
18. She said: ‘Verily, I seek refuge with the Most Gracious (Allaah) from you, if you do fear Allaah.’
19. (The angel) said: ‘I am only a messenger from your Lord, (to announce) to you the gift of a righteous son.’”
[Maryam 19:17-19]
Here the word “rooh” (spirit) refers to the slave and Messenger of Allaah Jibreel, whom He sent to Maryam. Allaah mentions him here in conjunction with Himself in the phrase roohuna (Our rooh or spirit) by way of honouring him. Here He is mentioning a created being in conjunction with his Creator.
In the lengthy hadeeth about intercession it says: “Then Moosa will come and will say: ‘I am not able for it; rather go to ‘Eesa for he is the spirit of (i.e., created by) Allaah and a Word from Him.’” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 7510; Muslim, 193.
Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Simply mentioning something in conjunction with Allaah does not mean that that thing is a Divine attribute, rather specific created things may be mentioned in conjunction with Allaah and their attributes are not divine attributes, according to scholarly consensus – as in the phrases, “the House of Allaah”, the “she-camel of Allaah”, the “slaves of Allaah”. The same also applies to the phrase “the spirit (rooh) of Allaah” according to the earliest generations of the Muslims and their imams and their common folk. But if something that is one of His attributes and is not an attribute shared by anyone else is mentioned in conjunction with Him, such as the speech of Allaah, the knowledge of Allaah, the hand of Allaah, and so on, then this is one of His attributes.
End quote from al-Jawaab al-Saheeh, 4/414.
This principle was mentioned by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah in several places. The point is that things which are mentioned in conjunction with Allaah are of two types:
1 – Entities which exist separately. These are mentioned in conjunction with Allaah by way of honouring, such as the House of Allaah and the she-camel of Allaah, and also the spirit (rooh) of Allaah, which is not a divine attribute, rather it is something that exists separately. Hence the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, according to the lengthy hadeeth of al-Bara’ ibn ‘Aazib which describes how man dies and his soul or spirit (rooh) comes out: “It comes out flowing like a drop of water from the mouth of a vessel… and he (the Angel of Death) takes it, and when he takes it they (the angels) do not leave it in his hand for an instant but they take it and put it in that shroud with that perfume… and there comes out from it a smell like the finest fragrance of musk on the face of the earth, and they ascend with it…”
See the report of this hadeeth in Ahkaam al-Janaa’iz ib by al-Albaani, p. 198
The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When the soul (rooh) is taken, the eyes follow it.” Narrated by Muslim, 920. In other words, when the soul is taken the eyes follow it, watching to see where it goes. All of this indicates that the soul is something that exists separately.
2 – Attributes that do not exist separately, rather they need an entity to belong to, such as knowledge, will and power. If it is said, “the knowledge of Allaah”, the “will of Allaah” and so on, this is mentioning the attribute in conjunction with the One to Whom it belongs.
Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in his book al-Rooh:
… Does the rooh exist from eternity or is it something that is created?
Then he said: This is an issue which some scholars got wrong and many groups of the sons of Adam went astray concerning it, but Allaah has guided the followers of His Messenger to the clear truth concerning it. The Messengers (blessings and peace be upon them) are unanimously agreed that the soul is created and taught and trained. This is a basic belief in the religion of the Messengers (blessings and peace be upon them), just as it is a basic belief in their religion that the universe is created, and that physical bodies will be resurrected, and that Allaah alone is the Creator and everything besides Him is created.
Then he quoted al-Haafiz Muhammad ibn Nasr al-Marwazi as saying: There is no dispute among the Muslims concerning the fact that the souls (arwaah) that are in Adam and his sons and ‘Eesa and other sons of Adam are all created by Allaah, who created them and fashioned them and made them, then He mentioned them in conjunction with Himself as He mentioned all His creation in conjunction with himself, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And has subjected to you all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth”
End quote from al-Rooh, p. 144
Some people may be confused about what Allaah says about ‘Eesa (peace be upon him) in the verse (interpretation of the meaning):
They think, as the Christians do, that the word min (lit. from) implies being part of Him and that the Rooh (spirit) is a part of Allaah. In fact the word min here implies that this Spirit comes from Allaah, its starting point and origin is with Allaah, because He is its Creator and Controller.
Ibn Katheer (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
The words in the verse and hadeeth, “a Spirit (Rooh) from Him” are like the verse (interpretation of the meaning):
“From Him” means that it is created by Him and comes from Him, not from Him in the sense of being part of Him, as the Christians say. Rather it is referring to the starting point of that soul, as in the first verse quoted. Mujaahid said that the phrase “And a Spirit from Him” means a Messenger from Him. Others said that it means love from Him, but the former is more correct, which is that he is a created being from a created soul, and the soul is mentioned in conjunction with Allaah by way of honouring, just as the she-camel and the House are mentioned in conjunction with Allaah in other verses (interpretation of the meaning):
“This she‑camel of Allaah is a sign unto you”
[al-A’raaf 7:73]
“and sanctify My House for those who circumambulate it”
[al-Hajj 22:26]
And it says in the saheeh hadeeth: “Enter upon my Lord in His House”; it is mentioned in conjunction with Allaah by way of honouring. All of this is of the same type and comes under one heading.
End quote from Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 1/784
Al-Aloosi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: It is narrated that a skilled Christian doctor of al-Rasheed debated with ‘Ali ibn al-Husayn al-Waaqidi al-Marwazi one day and said to him: “In your Book there is something which indicates that ‘Eesa (peace be upon him) is part of Allaah,” and he recited this verse to him (interpretation of the meaning):
Al-Waaqidi recited the verse (interpretation of the meaning):
and said: Then that means that all things must also be a part of Him, exalted and glorified be He. The Christian ceased his arguments and became Muslim, and al-Rasheed rejoiced greatly.
And he said (may Allaah have mercy on him): The Christians have no proof for their claim to be honouring ‘Eesa (peace be upon him) with regard to the Spirit being mentioned in conjunction with God, because this is also mentioned with regard to things other than him. In the Gospel of Luke it says that Jesus said to his disciples:
“…how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him”
Luke 11:13 (NIV)
In the Gospel of Matthew it says that John the Baptist was filled with the Holy Spirit when he was in his mother’s womb.
In the Old Testament it says that God said to Moses:
“Bring me seventy of Israel's elders … I will take of the Spirit that is on you and put the Spirit on them.”
Numbers 11:16-17 (NIV)
It also says concerning Joseph:
“So Pharaoh asked them, ‘Can we find anyone like this man, one in whom is the spirit of God?’”
Genesis 41:38 (NIV)
It also says in the Old Testament that the spirit of God descended upon Daniel… and there are other such verses.
End quote from Rooh al-Ma’aani, 6/25.
It says in the Gospel of Luke:
“and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit”
Luke 1:41 (NIV)
“Now there was a man in Jerusalem called Simeon, who was righteous and devout. He was waiting for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him.
It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not die before he had seen the Lord's Christ [Messiah].
Moved by the Spirit, he went into the temple courts”
Luke 2:25-27 (NIV)
This clearly shows that the Spirit is an angel who brings revelation, and that ‘Eesa (peace be upon him), the “Lord’s Christ (i.e., Messiah)” is a servant of God. God is the One Who anointed him and made him the Christ or Messiah.
And ... Allaah ... knows ... best.
Islam Q&A

I have read and heard a great deal about the virtues of attaining true belief in Allaah, and I would like you to explain to me in detail the meaning of belief in Allaah in a way that will help me to attain true faith and to keep away from everything that goes against the teachings of our Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and the way of his companions.

Praise be to Allaah.
Faith in Allaah means believing firmly in His existence, Lordship and Divinity, and in His names and attributes.
Faith in Allaah implies four things, whoever believes in them is a true believer.
1 – Belief in the existence of Allaah.
The existence of Allaah is something indicated by reason and by man's innate nature, let alone the large amount of shar’i evidence to that effect.
(i) The evidence of man’s innate nature that Allaah exists: every man has been created with an innate belief in his Creator without having to first think about it or be taught, and no one deviates from this innate nature except the one who has been exposed to misguiding influences. Hence the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no child who is not born in a state of fitrah (the natural inclination of man), but his parents make him a Jew, a Christian or a Magian.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1358; Muslim, 2658.
(ii) The evidence of reason that Allaah exists: all these created things, past, present and future, must have a Creator Who brought them into existence, because it is not possible for them to have created themselves or to have come into existence by accident.
It is impossible for them to have come into existence by themselves because a thing cannot create itself: before it existed it was non-existent, so how could it be a creator?! And it is impossible for them to have come into existence by accident, because everything that happens must have a cause. Moreover, this creation is done in a wondrous and precise manner, and every created being is in harmony with the rest of creation, and there is a strong connection between cause and effect. All of this makes it impossible that this universe could have come into being accidentally, because what happens accidentally does not happen in a precise and perfect manner, so how could it remain so precisely balanced?
If it is not possible for these things to have created themselves or to have come into existence by accident, then there must be One Who brought them into existence, namely Allaah the Lord of the Worlds.
Allaah has mentioned this rational evidence and definitive proof in Soorat al-Toor, where He says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Were they created by nothing? Or were they themselves the creators?”
[al-Toor 52:35]
They were not created without a Creator, and they did not create themselves, so their Creator must be Allaah, may He be blessed and exalted. Hence when Jubayr ibn Mut’im heard the Messenger of Allaah (S) reciting Soorat al-Toor, and he reached these verses (interpretation of the meaning):
Or are with them the treasures of your Lord? Or are they the tyrants with the authority to do as they like?”
[al-Toor 52:35-37]
Jabeer was a mushrik at that time, and said: “My heart almost soared, and that was the first moment that faith entered my heart.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari in several places.
We will give you an example that will help to explain that:
If a person were to tell you of a beautiful palace, surrounded by gardens among which rivers flowed, filled with furniture and couches, decorated with all kinds of luxuries and adornments, and told you that this palace and all that it contains created itself, or came into existence like that by accident without anyone building it, you would hasten to deny that and regard it as a lie, and you would regard this as foolish speech. So after that can it be possible that this wondrous, vast and well balanced universe with its earth, heavens and stars, could have created itself or come into being by accident with no Creator?!
This rational evidence was understood by a Bedouin who lived in the desert and who expressed it most eloquently, when he was asked, “How do you know your Lord?” He said: “If you see the camel dung you know that a camel has passed this way, and if you see a footstep you know that a person has passed this way, so the heaven with its starts and the earth with its mountain passes and the oceans with their high waves all point to the existence of the All-Hearing, All-Seeing.”
2 – Belief in the Lordship of Allaah.
i.e., belief that He alone is the Lord, with no partner or helper.
The Lord (Rabb) is the One Who has the power of creation, dominion and control. There is no Creator except Allaah, no Sovereign except Allaah, no controller of affairs except Allaah. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Surely, His is the creation and commandment”
[al-A’raaf 7:54]
“Say (O Muhammad): ‘Who provides for you from the sky and the earth? Or who owns hearing and sight? And who brings out the living from the dead and brings out the dead from the living? And who disposes the affairs?’ They will say: ‘Allaah.’ Say: ‘Will you not then be afraid of Allaah’s punishment (for setting up rivals in worship with Allaah)?’”
[Yoonus 10:31]
“He manages and regulates (every) affair from the heavens to the earth; then it (affair) will go up to Him”
[al-Sajdah 32:5]
“Such is Allaah, your Lord; His is the kingdom. And those, whom you invoke or call upon instead of Him, own not even a Qitmeer (the thin membrane over the date stone)”
[Faatir 35:13]
Think about what Allaah says in Soorat al-Faatihah (interpretation of the meaning):
“The Only Owner (and the Only Ruling Judge) of the Day of Recompense (i.e. the Day of Resurrection) [Maaliki Yaawm il-deen]”
[al-Faatihah 1:4]
And there is an alternative reading, Maliki yawm il-deen. If we combine the two readings we will see a wondrous meaning, for the Malik (King) has more power and authority than the Maalik (Owner), but a king may sometimes be a king in name only, with no control over affairs, in which case he is a king but not an owner. But as Allaah is both Malik and Maalik, then this is confirmation both of His Sovereignty and His control over all affairs.
3 – Belief in His Divinity
i.e., that He is the One True God, with no partner or associate.
Al-Ilaah (God) means the One Who is loved, i.e., the One Who is worshipped out of love and veneration. This is what is meant by Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah (there is no god but Allaah), i.e., there is none who is rightfully worshipped except Allaah. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And your Ilaah (God) is One Ilaah (God — Allaah), Laa Ilaaha illa Huwa (there is none who has the right to be worshipped but He), the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful”
[al-Baqarah 2:163]
“Allaah bears witness that Laa ilaaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), and the angels, and those having knowledge (also give this witness); (He always) maintains His creation in justice. Laa ilaaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), the All‑Mighty, the All-Wise”
[Aal ‘Imraan 3:18]
Everything that is taken as a god alongside Allaah and worshipped instead of Him, its divinity is false. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“That is because Allaah He is the Truth (the only True God of all that exists, Who has no partners or rivals with Him), and what they (the polytheists) invoke besides Him, it is Baatil (falsehood). And verily, Allaah He is the Most High, the Most Great”
[al-Hajj 22:62]
Calling them gods does not give them the rights of divinity. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“They are but names which you have named you and your fathers for which Allaah has sent down no authority”
[al-Najm 53:23]
Allaah tells us that Yoosuf (peace be upon him) said to the prison guard (interpretation of the meaning):
“Are many different lords (gods) better or Allaah, the One, the Irresistible?
You do not worship besides Him but only names which you have named (forged) — you and your fathers — for which Allaah has sent down no authority”
[Yoosuf 12:39-40]
No one deserves to be worshipped or singled out for worship except Allaah, and no one has any share in this right with Him, no angel who is close to Him nor any Prophet who was sent. Hence the call of all the Messengers, from the first to the last of them, was the call to say Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And We did not send any Messenger before you (O Muhammad) but We revealed to him (saying): Laa ilaaha illa Ana [none has the right to be worshipped but I (Allaah)], so worship Me (Alone and none else)”
[al-Anbiya’ 21:35]
“And verily, We have sent among every Ummah (community, nation) a Messenger (proclaiming): “Worship Allaah (Alone), and avoid (or keep away from) Taaghoot (all false deities, i.e. do not worship Taaghoot besides Allaah)”
[al-Nahl 16:36]
But the mushrikeen rejected that and took other gods instead of Allaah, which they worshipped alongside Allaah, seeking their support and help.
4 – Belief in His Names and Attributes.
i.e., affirming the names and attributes which Allaah has affirmed for Himself in His Book and in the Sunnah of His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in a manner that befits Him, without distorting or denying the meanings, or asking how, or likening Him to His creation. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And (all) the Most Beautiful Names belong to Allaah, so call on Him by them, and leave the company of those who belie or deny (or utter impious speech against) His Names. They will be requited for what they used to do”
[al-A’raaf 7:180]
This verse indicates that the Most Beautiful names belong to Allaah.
And Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“His is the highest description (i.e. none has the right to be worshipped but He, and there is nothing comparable unto Him) in the heavens and in the earth. And He is the All‑Mighty, the All‑Wise”
[al-Room 30:27]
This verse indicates that the attributes of perfection belong to Allaah, because “the highest description” is the attribute of perfection. These two verses prove that the most beautiful Names and the most sublime attributes belong to Allaah in general terms. With regard to the details of that, there is a great deal of information in the Qur’aan and Sunnah.
This field of knowledge, i.e., the names and attributes of Allaah, is one of the fields in which there has been a great deal of dispute and division among the ummah, and the ummah has split into various factions regarding the names and attributes of Allaah.
Our attitude towards these differences is that enjoined by Allaah when He said (interpretation of the meaning):
“(And) if you differ in anything amongst yourselves, refer it to Allaah and His Messenger, if you believe in Allaah and in the Last Day”
[al-Nisa’ 4:59]
We refer this dispute to the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah of His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), seeking guidance therein from the way in which the righteous salaf, the Sahaabah and Taabi’een, understood these verses and ahaadeeth, for they are the most knowledgeable of this ummah as to what Allaah and His Messenger meant. ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood spoke the truth when he described the companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) by saying: “Whoever wants to follow a path, let him follow the path of one who has died, for there is no guarantee that the one who is still alive will not be tempted. Those are the companions of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), the most pure in heart of this ummah and the most deep in knowledge, the least sophisticated and complicated, people whom Allaah chose to establish His religion and accompany His Prophet. So acknowledge their rights and adhere to their guidance, for they are following true guidance.”
Everyone who deviates from the path of the salaf in this matter is erring and going astray, and is following a path other than that of the believers, so he deserves the warning issued in the verse where Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And whoever contradicts and opposes the Messenger (Muhammad) after the right path has been shown clearly to him, and follows other than the believers’ way, We shall keep him in the path he has chosen, and burn him in Hell — what an evil destination!”
[al-Nisa’ 4:115]
Allaah has stipulated that in order to be correctly guided, we must believe what the companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) believed, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):
“So if they believe in the like of that which you believe then they are rightly guided”
[al-Baqarah 2:137]
Everyone who deviates and wanders far from the path of the salaf is lacking in guidance to the extent that he strays from the path of the salaf.
Based on this, then what we must do in this case is to affirm what Allaah has affirmed for Himself or what His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) has affirmed of the divine names and attributes; we should take the texts of the Qur’aan and Sunnah at face value, and believe in them as the companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did, as they are the best and most knowledgeable of this ummah (may Allaah be pleased with them).
But it should be noted that there are four things to be avoided, whoever falls into one of them has not attained true belief in the names and attributes of Allaah as he is obliged to do. Belief in the names and attributes of Allaah is not correct unless one avoids these four things, which are: tahreef (distortion), ta’teel (denial), tamtheel (likening Allaah to His creation) and takyeef (asking or discussing how).
Hence we say that what is meant by belief in the names and attributes of Allaah is “affirming the names and attributes which Allaah has affirmed for Himself in His Book and in the Sunnah of His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in a manner that befits Him, without distorting or denying the meanings, or asking how, or likening Him to His creation.”
There follows a brief explanation of these four things that are to be avoided:
(i) Tahreef (distorting)
What is meant is changing the meaning of the texts of the Qur’aan and Sunnah from their true meaning, which means affirming that the most beautiful names and sublime attributes belong to Allaah, to another meaning which was not intended by Allaah or His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).
For example:
They distort the meaning of the Hand of Allaah which is mentioned in many texts and say that it refers to His blessing or power.
(ii) Ta’teel (denying)
What is meant is denying the beautiful names and sublime attributes and saying that Allaah does not possess them or some of them.
Everyone who denies one of the names or attributes of Allaah that are proven in the Qur’aan or Sunnah does not truly believe in the names and attributes of Allaah.
(iii) Tamtheel (likening Allaah to His creation)
This means likening the attribute of Allaah to the attribute of a human being, such as saying that Allaah’s Hand is like a man’s hand, or that Allaah hears as a man hears, or that Allaah rose over the Throne like a man sitting on a chair… and so on. Undoubtedly likening the attributes of Allaah to the attributes of His creation is wrong and false. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“There is nothing like Him, and He is the All‑Hearer, the All‑Seer”
[al-Shoora 42:11]
(iv) Takyeef (discussing how)
This means discussing how the attributes of Allaah are, whereby a person tries to imagine or put into words how the attributes of Allaah are.
This is definitely invalid, and man cannot know this. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“but they will never compass anything of His Knowledge”
[Ta-Ha 20:110]
Whoever attains these four things believes truly in Allaah.
We ask Allaah to make us steadfast in faith and cause us to die therein.
And Allaah knows best.
See Risaalat Sharh Usool al-Eemaan by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen.

Islam Q&A

Strange to see muslims enter without greeting people by saying PEACE (As-salaam-u-a-laikim)?

Is any of this up for discussion?

If so, before i answer any of this or at least respond with my own thoughts on the verses offered. May i ask what Qu'ran you are using or which translation because as i'm sure your brother ABDURRATLN will soon tell you, since he must have overlooked it in his response above, that HE TRUSTS NO ENGLISH TRANSLATIONS and this is clearly an English translations, right Abdurratln??

Once he responds to confirm this, i will respond with my thoughts accordingly Abdullah....

Peace

Since when do muslims enter conversations without greeting people by saying PEACE (As-salaam-u-a-laikim)?

Is any of this up for discussion?

If so, before i answer any of this or at least respond with my own thoughts on the verses offered. May i ask what Qu'ran you are using or which translation because as i'm sure your brother ABDURRATLN will soon tell you, since he did not mention it in his response above, that HE TRUSTS NO ENGLISH TRANSLATIONS and this is clearly an English translations, right Abdurratln??

Once he responds to confirm this, i will respond with my thoughts accordingly Abdullah....

Peace

First of all, I do not think that a Muslim is required to offer Salams to non-Muslims, especially in times such as these when so many would make war against Muslims and against Islam, especially is the case in Somalia RIGHT NOW.

Secondly, you have yet to tell us which translations of Quran you use. You and I could have made more positve progress in our discussion if you had offered the courtesy of telling us who you were quoting. But, you did not do so. This only contributed to un-necessary confusion.

Thirdly, the ONLY authenic Quran is in the orginal Arabic. Of these, the oral version is preferable to the written version in my opinion. Others may disagree.

However, if you provide an English translation and an issue arises pertaining to the understanding of any words or Ayats, it is proper for a Muslim to consult Islamic scholars. What is absolutely NOT acceptable is to offer an opinion based on the viewpoints and perspectives of non-Muslims, in my humble opinion. This is why I asked you for the names of your translators so that we could research them and try to understand: (1) aAre they Muslims of non-Muslims? (2) Are they otherwise qualified to offer opinions about Quran? Do they even know anything or much about Quran?

What I have asked of you is only fair. And, it is the only basis upon which an intelligent discussios of the issues you have raaised can be discussed.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back