Health and Wellness : Being a Vegetarian is NOT necessary.

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by A007, May 29, 2009.

1. A007

A007 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +115
    I understand why people are leaning towards a vegetarian lifestyle, but it is not necessary for optimal health. I am not exactly sure WHY people make this poor assumption and why advocates push it like it is the BEST diet for optimal health when it simply is not necessary.

The 2 cultures with the longest life expectancy are Okinawans and Aborigines. And although their meat, fish, and poultry intake are about a fourth of what Americans (who eat meat,fish, and poultry) is. They still DO consume them. What seems to be the deciding factors in their diet are...they eat small meals many times a day. They limit their caloric intake. Their diets are low in fats and high in fiber. They consume ALMOST NO refined/processed foods. With the exception of those things everything else goes. So, for those who want to obtain a good quality of life for the longest time possible, I would follow the lead of those who are achieving these results. And this seems to say that meat, fish, and poultry are fine in moderation and the right proportion.

2. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +863
    I Disagree

I had a pethora of health problems that disappeared when I switched my diet to vegetarianism. Those problems have not returned in 10 years and ALL I did was change my diet.

My question is why do you feel like your broad and general statement is applicable to all people? We could discuss how the meat industry is completely filthy and mistreats animals, we could discuss the drugs that meat is pumped with drugs or the fact that meat has less nutritional value compared with the same quantity of fruits and/or vegetables. We could have a huge discussion and I could say that nearly all people could benefit from vegetarianism in some form. But I won't. Folks need to find the light on their own.

3. A007

Ratings:
    +115
    I am sure I agree with you about everything that you have to say about the industry. However, you have to understand that it is the same for the fruit and vegetable industry...with the exception of the mistreating..lol. But, the amount of pesticides, nitrates, and other chemicals that are applied to the fruits and veggies that most people consume equates to about the same as what they do to the meat.

My post was made in reference to the NECESSITY of one to become a vegetarian in order for them to be healthy. Again...it is NOT. I do UNDERSTAND AND ADVOCATE why SOME people become vegetarians. It is, in many regards, better than eating the AMOUNT of meat that we consume. However, as a GENERAL RULE, vegetarians are no healthier than meat eaters. My point was to make sure the readers understood that those who live the longest in this world still CONSUME MEAT. So, if one enjoys meat, fish, and poultry then by all means partake (if it does not cause you health problems like it did you). Just, make sure it is done in MODERATION. This means ONCE A DAY...not with EVERY MEAL...which is what we are accustomed to.

4. tyab14

tyab14 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +78
    These studies are hard to piece together because they isolate "health" facts. First of all, when I studied those cultures and their diets in school I found that Okinawa people first of all, don't eat the kind of meat we do, which is processed, grown in horrible conditions, etc, and second, they eat one of the "healthiest" foods on the planet, seaweed! They also are not Americans, and thus live a less stressful lifestyle, have their own gardens, etc, etc. What happens when they move to America though? They have the same diseases. Plus the next generation of Okinawa are eating hamburgers and becoming more American, so thats out the door now. Our meat is the worst on the Earth unless you buy from a farmer's market, and even then, they have devices to measure this stuff now, and that ish is dead.

Same thing with the 'Aborgines', they grow their food, and raise their cattle, etc, and even still participate in their indigenious rituals, which is probably the most important part.

I do agree though that the whole different health movements go a little overboard, and make it into a religion. A good point that was made is that the Earth is sick, so what are its fruits and vegetables going to be like? True healing and heal comes from the mind, we go for the lower aspects, but mentally, and spiritually, are defunct.

One more thing, most vegetarians don't even eat fresh food, they eat soy dogs, soy burgers, and other processed foods made in a laboratory. Most the food on Earth is messed up period.

5. A007

Ratings:
    +115
    I agree.

6. PLATINUMILLITY1

PLATINUMILLITY1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Full Time Student and Independant Buisness Owner
    Ratings:
    +38
    As a Pescaterian transitioned Vegan. I do not even like the concept of putting something that is not meat in the place of meat (Such as a SOY DOG) I think it is disgusting and horrible. My view point is that I did not become a Pescaterian OR vegan to "act" lke still want meat. I do not want it...so Chikin and meatless meat can fall into the ground for me. Now I am not sure when it comes to take....I do say that is it tastes good then I would buy it for a new flavor or something fast. I have never made scrambled tofu...and I do not think that I will...I am not looking for that.

Now, to the issue. Yes EVERYBODY needs to become VEGAN:)wink:)

The reasons being that...the current standing people do not know how to tame themselves and discipline themselves...and it's at the lives of a whole life chain. Things are getting worse and more selfish, greedy, careless, and ruthless than ever...Please do watch Meet Your Meat (If only I could remeber and thank who sent me to that video)

How often do you see and organic meat compared to organic Vegetables? and or Fruit? It is NOT the same.

There are healthfood stores where MOST of us Shop with people who share the same values as us so we can rest assure that our food is safe.

Who can say that about Super Walmart? smh

If you read and stricly follow biblical text...than veganism is NECESSARY

Encase you are wondering what in and out of the worldI am talking about...read Genesis 1:29 and there are also other references...but there it is plain.
    And I got that on my own...not from what someone told me.

I know yall think that I am crazy...(So was Jesus and his Disciples :wink:)

I know I am not going to turn the wold Vegan (trust me I know) Some may even eat three times more meat than what they do now after reading this...but it is not a game eating meat....where is the respect?
    Where is the gratefulness?
    If these same people indulging and overiindulging would take a look at some statistic, read some info, watch a tape or SOMETHING...it might not be AS bad...it would not be as hard to spare meat on the plate every morning, noon, and night.

OKAY...OKAY....HEALTH...I GOT IT!!

Vegetarians and Vegans are significantly healthier than majority meat eaters bro. W/O going into data...it is fact.

Now do not get me wrong...am I sayig that there is not one meat-eater healthier than even a vegan? NO. No SIR. Probably half the meat eater on planet earth are probably healthier than me. (over exaggeration). But it would not be because of their diet....it would be because of their habits and their exercise.

Me? I quote the bible...but I still have things that I need to work on....such as me glutton and slothyness(they go hand in hand)....I need to be working out.(If I had a gym membership I would...and a car). But i do not hide from it...I do not lie about it...I DO try, and I darn sure do not retain these flaws at the life of an animal OR person.

Fact is meat eaters think they are invinsible. They think that they do not need vitamins...even those who do not even eat vegetables. but the fact is that every one needs them...Yes, even meat eaters. Truth is, I can get the same thing a mansahari does...MUUUUUCH more if the meat eater does not take vitamins.

Ask the right (The Right!) nutritionist or doctor...they will tell you it is a much healthier lifestyle.

7. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +863
    Transitioning is a constant process. As soon as you clear a hurdle there is another. When I 1st transitioned I neded the meat replacements. Then I transitioned off them. I'm as soy free as I am meat free. Getting better every day.

What's next? Perms are good for you now? This is the health and beauty forum.

8. LindaChavis

LindaChavis Well-Known Member MEMBER

Car Sales Consultant
    Ratings:
    +147
    Well...

..I think what works for you is what you should do. I eat healthy and unhealthy food and the only thing that is wrong with me up to this point is my eye sight. Any research on diet and cancer because Im wondering why more people with cancer dont change thier diet.

9. Astrologer4U

Astrologer4U Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +486
    Honestly, I don't think that eating meat is the problem but how much meat one eats, is a problem. It is not necessary to have meat everyday. If we go back to the ancient times, meat was only eaten during a time of feasting. In other words, obstaining from meat was practiced until the day came to feast, usually on special occasions.

I my self, can honestly say that when I have eaten more meat than fresh veggies and fruit, I feel disgusting. I have been working on training my self to get down to eating meat once a month, starting off at eating meat once a week.

Humans have been eating meat for a long time. In fact, I don't think there are any ancient colonies, or present day colonies of vegetarians. It is not what you eat, it is more of how one goes about eating, what one eats. To much of anything will kill you. All things in moderation...

Astrologer4U

10. PLATINUMILLITY1

PLATINUMILLITY1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Full Time Student and Independant Buisness Owner
    Ratings:
    +38
    Honestly Sis. I love tofu and soy milk. I really do. That is great though...you live the life before them. What I am trying to do is...if I CAN go w/o the extra soy ml...I will.

I do not eat cereal...but if I doI will use soy...but I found myself puting it in my cream of wheat only because it was there...I am going to ween myself a little better.

I do not always use tofu though...that is the interesting thing...and I think that a good think...I just really like it...I guess it's the idea of it..I do not know...smh

My transition elements were the cheese and the fish. I used to LOVE cheese...REALLY...REALLY. but when I made up my mind that what I ate was not more important...and knowing my beliefs and tendancies...I knew it was enough...Chikin? That I do not like the idea of...and even though I eat them...I always try and call boca and such Veggie Pattie..not burger...it's almost like we are jealous or something...we can not find anything better...they ARE processed but CAN be homemade just like tofu...they are convienent and tasteful though...even thou I had to microwave it...This kashi veggie medly pocket was good.

What are you talking about w/ the perm sis?

:help: