Black Spirituality Religion : Before the Pgans A Truth to Wrestle With

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by river, Apr 4, 2005.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I've heard a lot about the pagan origins of Christian teachings about Jesus and even saw on a Christian (Protestant) website pagan symbolism used by the catholic church. This does not spell the death knell of Christianity to me.

The assumption in these efforts to disprove Christianity is that everything the pagans believed is false so any belief that conatains any elements found in paganism is of necessity falso. But that is a non sequitor.

In fact, if the Gospel were completely original to Christian doctrines with no trace or element anywhere else then it is not likely that it could have come from the Creator of the whole universe. But we see and I thank you for making so much effort to show that God made the Gospel known to all men.

We see worship of the sun everywhere and that is easy enough to explan since the sun rises and shines on the whole earth. Not so easy is to explain how out of this physical phenomenon everyone all over the world just came up with the story of a sacrificial savior born of a virgin. Christianity did not start in Europe with constantine. The story of the virgin birth was prophesied hundreds of years before Christ (Isaish 7:14 The European pagans embraced the Gospel when it was brought to them becauseGod had already revealed it them ust like he revealed it to everyone else. (Romans 10:8)

There is so much knowledge about the Gospel everywhere. The pagans may not tell it straight and pure but they do tell it. It's not about proving anyone's religion wrong. It's not even about choosing between religions. It's about finding that kernal of truth that is ubititous enough to have come from God Himself. Someone on here asked why didn't God just put His truth directly into the minds of all men. He did.

2. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    This is the one part that I am wholly in agreement with.

I personally have grown to have little (aside from referential) use for the Abrahamic legacy of Judeo Christianity, but that does not mean that I cannot seek the validity in the principles that surround it.

PEACE

3. TheWitness

TheWitness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Excellent Post!!!!!!!!!

4. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Spiritual truth is how one sees it. God has created so much diversity in nature, why would He/She be so pigheaded as to demand only one form of worship? Even Christians, who claim they have the true answer, are divided in different sects.

5. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    No it's not about the form of worship. I think one of the things that Jesus set us free from is the idea that we have to worship God in a straitjacket. We got to be facing a certtain direction or in a certain body position or in a certain kind of building. But God is looking at our heart and the only thing He requires is that we worship Him in spirit and in truth.

I do not strive to prove anyone's religion is wrong. I don't believe God really cares too much for our religions. I speak of Christianity but I make in my heart a clear distinction between Christianity with all its religious forms and the person of Jesus. I know people who have a strong relationship with Jesus but do not engage in the religious forms. And of coutse there are plenty people who follow Christianity as a religion but show no indication of ever having met the Lord.

All religion is equally true and equally false. Religion is just man's way of seeking God. Is that not why people who try to find the right religion are called seekers? Jesus is the fulfilment of all man's religious efforts because He is the revelation that God is also seeking man

"for the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost."
    Luke 19:10

6. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    In your opinion.

7. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    No, that was a quotation

8. AUM

AUM Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8
  9. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    Your original statement however, was not:

Jesus is the fulfilment of all man's religious efforts because He is the revelation that God is also seeking man

10. oceolo

oceolo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    There can only be one truth unfortunately most of us will not realize it until its to late