Black People : Be Hotep, Not Fauxtep: A Letter to “Conscious” Black Folk

Liberty

Banned
Aug 28, 2015

My dear conscious Black brothers and sisters, know that I love you. This love is usually a source of great joy for me. But love does not always come with understanding. We have to work toward that. So I write this message not in hopes of stirring bees into striking, but with the goal of producing something sweeter. An accord. Or, if you will, hotep.

Let’s talk about hotep for a moment. In a very simplified definition, hotep is an Egyptian word that means “to be at peace.” But on Twitter, Hotep means something completely different. It’s an insult toward a demographic of Black people, usually men, who deem themselves “conscious.” It becomes an affectation.

However, my dear brothers and sisters, I’d like to point out a distinction. There is hotep, ideally a peace invoked by the principles of Maat (truth, balance, order, law, morality, and justice), and then there is fauxtep, which is elitist ideology disguised as rebelution. I also call it NOtep. Because there are some principles of your “conscious” Blackness that slide toward intraracial oppression rather than freedom.

First, a confession. I eat bacon and other pork items. I know: this vice automatically disqualifies me from being conscious. I try to eat pork sparingly because I understand its detriments, but I offer you no apologies for my friendliness toward swine. I have seen your lip curl up in revulsion when you talk about how your less enlightened family eats the hog. And then you seek the bottom of a bottle of Crown Royal, or inhale the dank smoke of a Black and Mild. My wrong doesn’t make you right. We all have our peccadilloes.

But I am not so sure you believe this, that one man’s sin is another man’s simple pleasure.

Read more
http://trulytafakari.com/be-hotep-not-fauxtep-a-letter-to-my-conscious-black/

MS234

Mar 1, 2010

First, a confession. I eat bacon and other pork items. I know: this vice automatically disqualifies me from being conscious. I try to eat pork sparingly because I understand its detriments, but I offer you no apologies for my friendliness toward swine
Funniest stuff I seen in awhile lol

You can't even take this person serious. The whole article seems like it was written by some on http://www.theonion.com/ lol

They try to eat pork sparingly because they understand its detriments............

lol hahahahahhaha

Yea I only take my cyanide in small portions lol

Hermetic

May 30, 2015
I attended undergrad in Atlanta, Ga and experienced many different ideologies vying for my attention. My experiences are somewhat similar to what the lady has written, from my male perspective.

Last edited:

TheBlackBlur

Jan 24, 2016
Some people are just trying to lowkey shame black people who want to be conscious.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : 'Hotep' — Community Action in East New York Black People Open Forum 13
Liberty Black Jokes Humor : Quiz: Exactly How Hotep Are You? Black Jokes Humor 0
Liberty Black Education / Schools : Dr. Umar Johnson Exposed Himself As A Hotep Hustler Black Education / Schools 438
Omowale Jabali Black Men : Hotep Warriors Day Black Men 0
Ra Nehem Black Spirituality Religion : Note on Ni Ankh Khnum and Khnum Hotep Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
S Egypt : The Teachings of Ptah Hotep : The Oldest Book in the World (2388 BCE) Egypt 3
Etu Malku The Front Porch : Em hotep The Front Porch 17
Asomfwaa The Front Porch : Hotep The Front Porch 3
N Black Spirituality Religion : Teachings From Ptah Hotep Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 8
D Black Poetry : Hotep Meri Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
K Black Spirituality Religion : Hotep! Hotep! Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 7
Z Black Spirituality Religion : Hotep PurpleMoons Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 10
river Black Spirituality Religion : To Our Family From Ptah Hotep Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 19
R Black People : HOTEP Black People Open Forum 6
Akilah Black Spirituality Religion : The Instruction of Ptah-Hotep Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 20
A Black Spirituality Religion : Hotep From The ‘Nu Ntr,’ Which Means ‘Peace’... Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 8
C Black Picture Image Gallery : Hotep, Fam'ly Black Picture Image Gallery 12
B Black Poetry : Hotep Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
B Black People : Hotep My People(Did you know) Black People Open Forum 3
R Black Poetry : Its clear doe a year ago a boy starved for sex carved some complex words in a love letter in the club her thing wetter and the wetter the better acco Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Public Enemy’s Flavor Flav Sends Cease and Desist Letter to Bernie Sanders Black People Politics 4
R Black Poetry : A note is a short letter with all sorts of clever words to speak that's never heard on the street, tonight need help to climb a flight of steps to got Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
R Black Poetry : He's hood made and get good grades wrote a girl a short letter with all sorts of clever love words ask for a date the task was great but he wanna smas Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Postal service responds to 7-year-old boy who sent 'letter to dad in heaven' Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
R Black Poetry : A note is a short letter with all sort of clever words that you never heard its an endeavor with ver Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : A note of hope is a short letter with all sorts of clever words and verbs about love no doubt at clu Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
R Black Poetry : A note of hope is a short letter with all sorts of clever words and verbs about love no doubt at clu Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Hypersonic Black Relationships : My letter to black women Black Relationships 5
Lunar Cycle Black Sports : Serena Pens Heartwarming Letter To Mom Black Sports 0
Lunar Cycle Black Entertainment : Common Snags Emmy For "Letter To The Free" Black Entertainment 1
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Letter f Introduction from Dre AACOOLDRE 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : the Letter of James vs the Letters of Paul AACOOLDRE 0
OldSoul OldSoul : OPEN LOVE LETTER TO BETHUNE-COOKMAN 2017 GRADUATES FROM BLACK FACULTY OldSoul 2
jamesfrmphilly Black Positive People : teen-takes harvard-admission letter as prom-date Black People Doing Positive Things 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Black Academic Schizophrenia: Open letter to Umar Johnson AACOOLDRE 2
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Open letter to a Doctor on Egyptology AACOOLDRE 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : T.I.'s Open Letter to President Barack Obama: "You Shook Up and Woke Up a Generation" and to Trump Black People Doing Positive Things 6
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Cato's Letter to Cicero AACOOLDRE 0
nilevalley Black Sports : An open letter to Gabby Douglas Black Sports 2
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Captive Shepherds; The letter of Jude & Ephesians AACOOLDRE 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The Letter of James, Jude, 2 Peter & Rev 6 attacks paul AACOOLDRE 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The Letter Jude attacks Paul like St. James letter AACOOLDRE 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : OPEN LETTER TO LOUIS FARRAKHAN AACOOLDRE 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : NT letter of Jude's helps solve a puzzle reveals the wolf in sheep clothes AACOOLDRE 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Letter to Ken Hanson author of Armageddon Code AACOOLDRE 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Letter to Professor Martin Bernal AACOOLDRE 1
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Malcolm X Suggests Cure To Racism In Newly-Discovered Handwritten Letter African American History Culture 5
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Letter of Jude: Links with Rev 11 & Venus AACOOLDRE 1
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Those **** letter of Zora Neale Hurston: Sugar or Sh..it?? AACOOLDRE 0
RAPTOR Black People Politics : Little girls send a “Letter to the President” about black people dying from police brutality Black People Politics 0