Black People : Be Hotep, Not Fauxtep: A Letter to “Conscious” Black Folk

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Liberty, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,253
    [​IMG]

My dear conscious Black brothers and sisters, know that I love you. This love is usually a source of great joy for me. But love does not always come with understanding. We have to work toward that. So I write this message not in hopes of stirring bees into striking, but with the goal of producing something sweeter. An accord. Or, if you will, hotep.

Let’s talk about hotep for a moment. In a very simplified definition, hotep is an Egyptian word that means “to be at peace.” But on Twitter, Hotep means something completely different. It’s an insult toward a demographic of Black people, usually men, who deem themselves “conscious.” It becomes an affectation.

However, my dear brothers and sisters, I’d like to point out a distinction. There is hotep, ideally a peace invoked by the principles of Maat (truth, balance, order, law, morality, and justice), and then there is fauxtep, which is elitist ideology disguised as rebelution. I also call it NOtep. Because there are some principles of your “conscious” Blackness that slide toward intraracial oppression rather than freedom.

First, a confession. I eat bacon and other pork items. I know: this vice automatically disqualifies me from being conscious. I try to eat pork sparingly because I understand its detriments, but I offer you no apologies for my friendliness toward swine. I have seen your lip curl up in revulsion when you talk about how your less enlightened family eats the hog. And then you seek the bottom of a bottle of Crown Royal, or inhale the dank smoke of a Black and Mild. My wrong doesn’t make you right. We all have our peccadilloes.

But I am not so sure you believe this, that one man’s sin is another man’s simple pleasure.

Read more
    http://trulytafakari.com/be-hotep-not-fauxtep-a-letter-to-my-conscious-black/

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,901
    Funniest stuff I seen in awhile lol

You can't even take this person serious. The whole article seems like it was written by some on http://www.theonion.com/ lol

They try to eat pork sparingly because they understand its detriments............

lol hahahahahhaha

Yea I only take my cyanide in small portions lol

3. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,901
    Love the meme

4. Hermetic

Hermetic going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +235
    I attended undergrad in Atlanta, Ga and experienced many different ideologies vying for my attention. My experiences are somewhat similar to what the lady has written, from my male perspective.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  5. TheBlackBlur

TheBlackBlur Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +42
    Some people are just trying to lowkey shame black people who want to be conscious.

6. Hermetic

Hermetic going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +235
    I don't see it as that. I see it more as she pointing out the judgmental hypocrisy of some of those people who call themselves "Conscious". One example she pointed out was some getting on her about eating pork, yet they are drinking hard liquor. Which then calls into question in her mind whether they are conscious at all.

• List
  7. TheBlackBlur

United States
    Ratings:
    +42
    The article low key criticized those who dislike Scandal and low key criticized those who call black women queens.

Its one thing for her to call out hypocrisy as she did yet those parts I mentioned seems to go against conscious people.

Im sensing something off about the article.

8. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,253
    I didn't mean to insult anyone when I posted this article. My apologies if you felt insulted.

I thought the article was pointing out that we should be seeking unity within. That we should do away with the internal fighting.... the I am Blacker than thou stuff. That's how I interpreted it.

• Love It Love It x 1
    • List
  9. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,253
    Appreciating what you've said, if I understand you correctly, I think it's the opposite. Some conscious people want to "lowkey" shame other AA people.

10. TheBlackBlur

United States
    Ratings:
    +42
    Both are wrong. She is guilty of doing what they do based on those sections of her posts.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. fauxteps

2. conscious black eating